Multi Honda I-4WD

C

Chooglin

To those of you that have this on your Pioneer , does this type of 4WD ever give you traction to ALL 4 WHEELS at any given time? If I am understanding it correctly, this would only give you power to one wheel or the other , never both at the same time ?

Not looking to start a argument thread , I just want to have a good understanding of how this works!!!!!

While watching this video , it does look like there are times when both front wheels are pulling! !!

Reactions: BWAF
K

Kurt

Jan 16, 2018
Brandenburg, KY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes both front wheels can pull at the same time. Braking pressure is applied to the one slipping transferring power to the opposite front wheel. Unless the slipping wheel is completely off the ground there will be some power going to both front wheels.

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
To those of you that have this on your Pioneer , does this type of 4WD ever give you traction to ALL 4 WHEELS at any given time? If I am understanding it correctly, this would only give you power to one wheel or the other , never both at the same time ?

Not looking to start a argument thread , I just want to have a good understanding of how this works!!!!!

While watching this video , it does look like there are times when both front wheels are pulling! !!

When it's in i4wd it does all the work. Where ever it needs the traction that's where the power will go. if it needs traction on all 4 wheels then it will dig in and turn all four wheels. no wasted power or stress on the rig from being locked in 4wd. I think that some people think that the power won't transfer fast enough for traction to react to the condition of the trails, that would be wrong. The power transfer to where it needs the traction is faster than hitting a light switch and you can't even tell. For example if you hit a slick hill and need to get speed I can see where someone would feel comfortable knowing the rig is locked but in the case of i4wd it's so fast transferring power you will never know and are less likely to get stuck on the side of the hill spinning all four.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
When it's in i4wd it does all the work. Where ever it needs the traction that's where the power will go. if it needs traction on all 4 wheels then it will dig in and turn all four wheels. no wasted power or stress on the rig from being locked in 4wd. I think that some people think that the power won't transfer fast enough for traction to react to the condition of the trails, that would be wrong. The power transfer to where it needs the traction is faster than hitting a light switch and you can't even tell. For example if you hit a slick hill and need to get speed I can see where someone would feel comfortable knowing the rig is locked but in the case of i4wd it's so fast transferring power you will never know and are less likely to get stuck on the side of the hill spinning all four.
That’s cool! Can it still be manually locked?

Reactions: Chooglin
Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I have had the front wheels off the ground numerous times. I have never seen only one wheel turn or not seen both turn. Also the braking is so fast or slight that with only one wheel on the ground the other still spins. In my observation I have never seen the wheel without traction stop while the other turns.

Reactions: Chooglin and sharp
J

JTW

I can see the i4wd being a big plus in those transition places where you’ve been running in 4wd and hit a spot where you’d go to lock if you had realized or had time to do so.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I can see the i4wd being a big plus in those transition places where you’ve been running in 4wd and hit a spot where you’d go to lock if you had realized or had time to do so.
I would be interested to see how the i4wd would have faired at the landslide on overland.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!