P1000 Honda Pioneer 1000 Viper V2 winch mount install!

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I have had several questions about installing the new Viper V2 by Motoalliance on a Pioneer 1000 in reguards to fitment issues.
Finally today I found some time to install one in a factory bumper and was able to install with no issues.

Below are some pictures and a few details on each.
I hope this helps.

Here is the back side of mount plate.

there are 2 concerning points to discuss.
The funny tab at the top and the differential bracket. The winch mount plate goes under it just slightly.

At the bottom, the plate rest on the differential bracket and may appear to not fit.
When installing, tighten the lower U bolts first making sure the top plate is UNDER the tab shown above.
This will push it into place and snug it up against the frame.

Then install the fairlead and the mount is complete.
20220324 192410

I will not be covering wiring at this time as it is the same for every other winch on the market.

Any questions just let me know.
Thanks.

Last edited:
bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Even though the receiver's positive (red) power wire is labeled going to a keyed power source, I suggest adding a separate switch in series with this wire. This will help prevent unintended operation of the winch, and possible damage, due to radio frequency interference (RFI) triggering the receiver.

If adding such a "winch receiver disable safety switch", you might then consider connecting the red wire to always-on power, rather than the suggested keyed power. That way the receiver and winch will be functional, without needing ignition key on, in those instances where the engine cannot be run during winching for whatever reason.

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I do not miss the winch hidden behind the bumper. That winch would have tempted me if the 6k was available and in stock in January.

Reactions: Smitty335 and ChadD
D

DIRISHMAN

May 11, 2022
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have had several questions about installing the new Viper V2 by Motoalliance on a Pioneer 1000 in reguards to fitment issues.
Finally today I found some time to install one in a factory bumper and was able to install with no issues.

I hope this helps.

View attachment 326239

View attachment 326240View attachment 326241

The funny tab at the top and the differential bracket. The winch mount plate goes under it just slightly.
View attachment 326242

At the bottom, the plate rest on the differential bracket and may appear to not fit.
When installing, tighten the lower U bolts first making sure the top plate is UNDER the tab shown above.
View attachment 326243

View attachment 326245

I will not be covering wiring at this time as it is the same for every other winch on the market.

Thanks.
Shouldn't the power connectors/motor of the winch be on the driverside of UTV? I am getting ready to install mine and the Viper mounting kit says the motor side of the winch should be on the driver side. Thanks

D

DIRISHMAN

May 11, 2022
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Shouldn't the power connectors/motor of the winch be on the driverside of UTV? I am getting ready to install mine and the Viper mounting kit says the motor side of the winch should be on the driver side. Thanks
...and did you have to drill out some holes bigger on the actual mount as I have read? To me, if I line up the holes when attaching the winch to the mounting plate it makes the winch off center by 1/4-1/2 inch but I did not need to drill out anything. Will that be okay with the end fitment of the winch and bumper install? Thanks

advertisement
D

DIRISHMAN

May 11, 2022
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I hope this helps.

View attachment 326239

View attachment 326242

View attachment 326243

View attachment 326245

Thanks.
...and did you have to drill out some holes bigger on the actual mount as I have read? To me, if I line up the holes when attaching the winch to the mounting plate it makes the winch off center by 1/4-1/2 inch but I did not need to drill out anything. Will that be okay with the end fitment of the winch and bumper install? Thanks

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
The instructions are with the older Viper Elite line. I should have taken pictures showing the angel of the line both ways when I did my install if thr V2.

With the motor on the drivers side the which line pulls on the winch cross member. I feel motor on passenger is better.

Also. If you choose motor on the driver side, you will need to clock the brushes to the opposite corners.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Jankyeye

Jankyeye

Lifetime Member
Dec 17, 2021
Tampa, Fl.
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Got mine mounted up tonight. The mounting bracket was a real pain. I managed to strip out one of the u bolts. In hind sight, l should have notched the plate around those funny tabs along the top edge. Otherwise it was a fairly simple install.
Edit to add: this was on a 2022

Jankyeye

Jankyeye

Lifetime Member
Dec 17, 2021
Tampa, Fl.
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
I have mine coming off the bottom of the spool (Motor on passenger side). Seems to work ok but does drag across the bottom of the Hawse. If turned over to come off the top of the spool it would drag the winch cross bar and still drag the hawse.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Totally newbie but what does clocking a winch mean?
I been meaning to post this.
I'll post some pics tonight.

But on the motor end. You take out the 2 bolts and roate the motor magnets 90d.
This moves the post to the other corners of rhe motor end.

Jim1000

Jim1000

Lifetime Member
Jul 10, 2019
MN
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I been meaning to post this.
I'll post some pics tonight.

But on the motor end. You take out the 2 bolts and roate the motor magnets 90d.
This moves the post to the other corners of rhe motor end.

Thanks for the reply. Today I did rotate the motor. It did put the terminal closer to the mount plate then I would like.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Thanks for the reply. Today I did rotate the motor. It did put the terminal closer to the mount plate then I would like.
Was it hitting the other way?

You only need to do it if it's hitting the front bumper.

You can easily bend the bumper in 1/4 a inch causing a short.
It's going to be hard to bend the winch to the mount plate 1/4 inch.

Jim1000

Jim1000

Lifetime Member
Jul 10, 2019
MN
Ownership

1. 1000-3

I hope this helps.

View attachment 326239

View attachment 326242

View attachment 326243

View attachment 326245

Thanks.
Finally getting to mount the winch today. There is no way to have the cable come off the top of the spool and it looks like a fairly steep angle coming off the bottom. First time ever mounting a winch. It looks like your using the stock bumper so is the angle going through the fairlead ok.

advertisement