Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
this picture reminded me of this post. so which
one is 91.View attachment 5319

That's photo / comment reminds me of a trip to KY several years ago stop in to get a drink (Sodas) and the lady says what kind of "Coke" do you want? I said well I was wanting Diet Mt. Dew. Her reply left me speechless yeah we have that flavor of "Coke". LMAO I still get the giggles every time I think about it.

spifyd

spifyd

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2014
newhampshire
well it finally happened today. I had the bike full of my kids and most of the grandchildren. well coming up very tight and rocky hill I got the bike wedged in some rocks. the right rear wheel and the left front both jammed. so I locked it in 4 lock and pushed the throttle hard. she spooled up and at full boost . snap the right rear axle was done.
the sad part is it took about 2 minutes to winch it out there was a tree 5 feet in front of me I just hooked the winch up high and pulled. the bike popped right out of the rocks.

my son in law was behind me on the rancher when it happened. he said when he heard it spooling up he was cringing. well I guess he was Right.
I have a couple of rino axles on order.

allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
Well that sux, were you up nawth in the middle of nowhere when it went?

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
That sucks @spifyd! But with that amount of power it was inevitable. Interested in what your impression of the rhino's is, please do post when you get them!

Reactions: bobbyhill
spifyd

spifyd

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2014
newhampshire
I was out back of the house a few miles. we rode home in 4 wheel drive. it really wanted to turn right going up the hills .
it will be interesting to see if the rhinos will be worth the money. the ball cage in the joint is the week link. I guess I will have a spare axle now.
its funny it took a few seconds for the stator to lock up and made enough torque to pop the joint. I think I will do some research to see how much the converter magnifies the torque output.
edit
here is a video I found that explains what I mean. note there is no lock up on the 700

http://www.quora.com/When-one-accel...il-the-wheels-reflect-the-speed-of-the-engine

Last edited:
spifyd

spifyd

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2014
newhampshire
update
I ordered in some new rhino rear axles from super atv. I was wondering what they would look like. well I took some pic and seem to have lost them. I will tell you there much bigger. the shaft size went from 20 mm to 26 mm and the joints are bigger too. I am very impressed with them. I cant see these braking. I put a few hundred miles on them and they work fine.

after taking the old axles out I removed the boot from the broken joint. I expected to find the joint broken, everything I have read stated the joints brake. not this one I twisted the shaft in half nice clean brake. the joint could be reused. if I find the pics I will post them.
anyway thanks to super atv for another grate product with fast service.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Thanks for the report, good to hear you are back on the trails! :)

spifyd

spifyd

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2014
newhampshire
pics of the axles
IMG 20150916 193955531

Attachments

• IMG_20150916_192613613.jpg
    IMG_20150916_192613613.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_20150916_193255584-1.jpg
    IMG_20150916_193255584-1.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 252
Reactions: Robinj357
Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Nice! Axles look like a big improvement, these have been on my wish list since they came out!

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
That's photo / comment reminds me of a trip to KY several years ago stop in to get a drink (Sodas) and the lady says what kind of "Coke" do you want? I said well I was wanting Diet Mt. Dew. Her reply left me speechless yeah we have that flavor of "Coke". LMAO I still get the giggles every time I think about it.

I don't mean to hijack but I grew up in the south. Soon after getting settled in my dorm at college, I headed to the store to get a "coke". My room mate asked if I would bring him one. I asked "what kind?". He just stared at me.
Where I come from they are all "coke". Orange coke. Sprite coke. Dr Pepper coke.

Reactions: JTW and ohanacreek
spifyd

spifyd

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2014
newhampshire
up date with pics.
I was hearing a small exhaust leak when it was cold. I had a list of other things to do to so off with the bed.
DSCF4159

once the bed was off I found the turbo muffler I used to hold the turbo feel apart. this was not a real big surprise the original design was a cherry bomb stile muffler . cherry bombs are much thicker.

DSCF4160

at that point I knew I needed a strong wont rust cheep muffler. I found just what I needed up stairs. its the stock one. it just needed better flow and a flat end to mount the turbo pipe to. o and an extra mount and new tail pipe and I guess an o2 mount. just a little moding. lol

DSCF4163
DSCF4164
DSCF4166

I drilled an extra hole in both baffles for some extra flow.

DSCF4172

ready to go.
DSCF4174

I even trimmed and installed the stock heat shield. it came out nice and its strong.

next project. I bought a hole Rincon tranny on ebay for 50 bucks .
IMG 20151116 182811616

so apart again. were going to swap out the reduction gears. hear are the two side by side.
DSCF4178

I had to replace these two and the reverse gears

DSCF4180

while I was in there I decided to put the stock timing key back in. after getting it back together I had to garage test it. dam I have to learn out how to get the video's on here.

anyway it still spins all four tires while chained down in the garage. and rev limiter comes on at about 57 mph while jacked up. one surprise was the bike uses the speedo not rpms to shift from 1to2 and 2to3 . so now the bike makes those shifts at 5800 rpms now. that's not a bad thing the stock bike peaks in hp at 5200 rpms then drop quickly from there on the dyno. top speed is still determined by the rpms.
I have had it out in the local trails and it still has very good power rock crawling. it lost some engine braking but I know were the brake peddle is and would rather me in control instead of the bike.. I plan on taking it up north nin the next couple of weeks where I can open it up to see what top speed is. I cant do it out on the road anymore the guy out on the main road has been yelling at me for fooling around and the cops are out there a lot lately. people suck.
I also had to redo my air filter mount.
DSCF4190

its a k+n style filter with a flower pot on top. the pot was just held with a rubber well nut though the top of the pot and filter I never trusted it and if it fell off I would be driving around with know filter.
so I made a heavy dudy clamp with 3 legs to hold the pot with push pins.
now the funny parts was rolling the clamp. does any one know how to get the part off of the roller when your done rolling. I had to cut it. lol
DSCF4181

I also installed one of the summit heaters and vent kit. I used 15 feet of heater hose to plumb it. works grate. better than my old one. and a graite deal. less $200 including hoses and all hardware.
to much crap under the hood . 10 pounds in a 5 pound bucket.
IMG 20151116 182851334

G

green02crew

Jan 12, 2015
The reduction gears you put in are actually higher than stock pioneer gearing, correct?

spifyd

spifyd

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2014
newhampshire
yes the stock is about 2.5 and the Rincon is 2.0 the Rincon also uses higher diff gears. some thing like 3.0 and the pioneer is a3.41.
basically I dropped 1000 rpm while running down the trails or roads. there's a 10 mile stretch of road up north that heads to the main trail system with a speed limit of 40 mph. that's 6000 rpms and it seams like for ever . we ride a lot of open trails lots of gravel roads. and with the extra power from the turbo I didn't need first gear much. besides first had enough torque to twist a striate axel off so maybe it was to much.

M

motorman18

Apr 28, 2016
Laurel, MS
How well do u think it will hold up in places like south Mississippi with r heat also being in deep water with 30s on it

MaleRN28US

MaleRN28US

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Dec 1, 2015
Roanoke, Indiana
Spifyd....
Just wondered about a long term update on this post.....or story.
Always curious to hear how it held up, what changes you would make if doing it again, etc.

M

Mainah

Aug 27, 2016
Maine
Ownership

1. 700-4
I second MaleRN28US questions. I'm super curious how this is working out for you and things you would or wouldn't change. Is the Chinese Turbo working well for you and do you think there is much quality/performance difference in a brand name for the price difference? I drove a friends Race buggy Polaris 900 Turbo the other day and my P700 felt more under powered than ever after that adrenaline ride!

R

Rcpower336

Feb 14, 2018
Louisiana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Does anyone know what size oil restrictor was used?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!