BOX1

P700 Honda Pioneer 700 no fire searched all forums and still stumped

S

Shawn_z400

Nov 25, 2019
Conroe tx
Ownership

1. 700-2
My dad has a 2015 p700 2. He uses it for putting around his 14 acres and at his deer lease. He called to ask for help with a weird issue. After seeing it in person I am completely stumped.

Symptom:
Try to start machine and it just turns over will not start. Tried the gas peddle trick (Hold down peddle full throttle while cranking machine slowly lift peddle) and that worked a few days but now that doesn't even work. Once started it runs great.

Trouble shooting:
New battery was installed Battery reads 12V when machine is running 14V
I ran through testing the ignition system (Coil, stator, ckp sensor) according to the service manual and all readings are with in spec. I am at a total loss!!!

PLEASE HELP ME figure this out for MY DAD!
Feel free to call or txt if you have had the issue before and know the resolution!!!!
281-622-5307 Shawn

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Have you tested for actual spark? Check that. If the spark is weak or irratic, throw a plugs in and retest.

Check fuel pressure.
Check exhaust for restrictions. Pull the spark arrester.
Check compression.

The 700's occasionally eat a cam, but seems like they usually start and run when this happens.

S

Shawn_z400

Nov 25, 2019
Conroe tx
Ownership

1. 700-2
Put two new plugs in it. checked spark, it does not get spark, hense the no fire. However sometimes it will get spark and thats when the machine starts. I will say the times i got it to start while trouble shooting it took the machine alot of cranking to actually start. Have not checked the exhaust yet.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Put two new plugs in it. checked spark, it does not get spark, hense the no fire.
Well...that would be the problem. Or at least a problem. Check the wiring back from the coil for damage. Also, it think this all goes through a relay. You can find a wiring diagram somewhere around here for the 2014. Should be similar.

Disconnect the two wires to the coil. Keep track of where they go. Get a test light or voltmeter.
Connect one lead to good ground (test it to be sure) and probe the connectors with the other. One of 2 wires should have battery voltage at all times when the key is in run position. You should be able to stick the probe inside the little rubber boots, so you can go hands free while wiggling wires looking for the light/meter to flicker. Again, check the relays and even wiggle the ignition switch while on. If you have nothing, there is a power supply issue to the coil.

If you have steady voltage here, move to the opposite wire.

Here, a test light will be better, as a meter may not sample fast enough to get a good ideal if what's going on. Connect one end of the test light to battery positive (+), and the other end to this second terminal. Cut the key on, and then to start (test light will probably light up). As the engine is cranking, the test light should flash. This is the ECU grounding the coil to fire it.
If you have a nice, consistent flash, and had voltage on the other terminal in the previous step, but still have no/erratic spark, the coil is bad.

If the test light flash is erratic or non-existent, it could be a crank position sensor or ECU issue (but always confirm wiring integrity to the ECM to be sure).

Last edited:
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
The 906
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Did you ever figure it out because mine has the same problem and I can’t figure it out
Try disconnecting the voltage regulator and crank it over and check for spark, I had a Rincon years ago, the regulator shorted internally and had no spark, when unplugged it had spark and run

Glock21user

Glock21user

" Nothing succeeds like excess "
Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2018
Livingston county, Mi.
Ownership

1. 700-4
Try disconnecting the voltage regulator and crank it over and check for spark, I had a Rincon years ago, the regulator shorted internally and had no spark, when unplugged it had spark and run
I never connected this funny enough but yes this has happened to me as well on a Rincon.

Remington

Remington

Sheriff Chief POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Did you ever figure it out because mine has the same problem and I can’t figure it out
Just FYI, that guy hasnt been on here in just about 3 yrs and the one you tagged him on was his last.

Try starting a new thread to get more looks at your issue and please post what u figure out! Dont be the guy you just tagged! and for god sakes post some pics of your rig or Barney Fife will be after you!

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Just FYI, that guy hasnt been on here in just about 3 yrs and the one you tagged him on was his last.

Try starting a new thread to get more looks at your issue and for god sakes post some pics of your rig or Barney Fife will be after you!
You tell him Barney! HA!

G

Gohonda2

Supporting Member
Jul 5, 2022
Mississippi
Ownership

1. Talon R
E960F313 F214 4CF1 92F7 25BB250CA0CC

T

Treysmith

Jul 29, 2022
Florida
Ownership

1. 700-4
My dad has a 2015 p700 2. He uses it for putting around his 14 acres and at his deer lease. He called to ask for help with a weird issue. After seeing it in person I am completely stumped.

Symptom:
Try to start machine and it just turns over will not start. Tried the gas peddle trick (Hold down peddle full throttle while cranking machine slowly lift peddle) and that worked a few days but now that doesn't even work. Once started it runs great.

Trouble shooting:
New battery was installed Battery reads 12V when machine is running 14V
I ran through testing the ignition system (Coil, stator, ckp sensor) according to the service manual and all readings are with in spec. I am at a total loss!!!

PLEASE HELP ME figure this out for MY DAD!
Feel free to call or txt if you have had the issue before and know the resolution!!!!
281-622-5307 Shawn
Did you ever figure it out my 2015 pioneer is doing same thing I need help text me at 850 419 6744 if you did figure anything out

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!