P1000 Honda Powersports 2022 Pioneer Survey Request

P

PMN

Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2022
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Got this request via email today, see below in italics. Honda wants to install a data logger and associated electronics/sensors on my 2022 1000-3.

Despite a basic inclination to be helpful and theoretically improve future products, I am not sure I want additional instruments installed, or even if I am a good candidate as there are times when the Pioneer is in one state and I am in another and would be unable to retrieve an SD card with data.

Has anyone else has ever done this sort of study with Honda? Thoughts or feedback?

I am also mildly leery of providing “information” until I understand exactly what it is and how it can be used.

Attaching a pic, not because it has anything to do with the post, just to address the “if no pic it didn’t happen rule 😊”

Thank you again for your recent purchase of a new Honda and your feedback in the purchase experience survey.
Currently, Honda Powersports is actively looking for 2022 Honda Pioneer 1000 owners who wish to participate in a data logging research project. This project aims to understand how Honda Pioneer 1000 vehicles are utilized by our customers in real world situations. Simple vehicle data would be recorded via a data recording system installed under your driver seat. A few additional sensors and cabling will also need to be installed on the rear control arms. A Honda associate would come at a time and to a place of your convenience to prepare your vehicle for our research study. The setup only takes about 1 hour and the equipment will be non-intrusive to your vehicle and its operation. There will be no effect on the performance of your vehicle and your overall product experience as a result of the equipment being installed. Simply operate your vehicle as you normally would. During the time the equipment is installed, you may be asked to remove, replace, and send a standard SD card back to Honda at Honda’s expense. After a period of 3 - 15 months, a Honda associate will retrieve the equipment. Once again at your convenience and location of choice. After the data you have provided has been reviewed, Honda may wish to contact you for further information or to set up a visit.

Selected participants will receive a total of $300 in Visa gift cards as a token of appreciation for participating in the study. Gift cards will be provided at the initial instrumentation visit ($150), as well as during the time of equipment removal ($150).

If you are interested in participating in this study, please reply back to this email and answer a few basic questions.

• A brief description of how you use your Honda Pioneer 1000.
  • Have you installed aftermarket tires? If yes, what size?
  • A list of current, or planned to be installed accessories:
  • Phone number to be reached at by a Honda Associate:
  • Date/Time that is ok for us to reach out and discuss a little more detail and answer any questions you may have:

DC3606C7 C4F4 4009 9CD3 12C245273F52

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Honda should have installed that stuff on my Pioneer and @Plumber32 's Talon this weekend
I saw some pictures of that carnage!

Simple vehicle data would be recorded via a data recording system installed under your driver seat. A few additional sensors and cabling will also need to be installed on the rear control arms.
I wonder what kind of sensor they will install on the rear arms, and what information they are looking for.

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I saw some pictures of that carnage!

I wonder what kind of sensor they will install on the rear arms, and what information they are looking for.
I'd guess they would be measuring vehicle ride height and the sensors are more protected in the rear and they can likely estimate payload based on static ride height. I'd guess the box under the seat is a IMU with multiple accelerometers and a GPS unit

Reactions: Smitty335
Red500

Red500

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2018
Greeneville, Tn.
Ownership

1. 500
Got this request via email today, see below in italics. Honda wants to install a data logger and associated electronics/sensors on my 2022 1000-3.

Despite a basic inclination to be helpful and theoretically improve future products, I am not sure I want additional instruments installed, or even if I am a good candidate as there are times when the Pioneer is in one state and I am in another and would be unable to retrieve an SD card with data.

Has anyone else has ever done this sort of study with Honda? Thoughts or feedback?

I am also mildly leery of providing “information” until I understand exactly what it is and how it can be used.

Attaching a pic, not because it has anything to do with the post, just to address the “if no pic it didn’t happen rule 😊”

Thank you again for your recent purchase of a new Honda and your feedback in the purchase experience survey.
Currently, Honda Powersports is actively looking for 2022 Honda Pioneer 1000 owners who wish to participate in a data logging research project. This project aims to understand how Honda Pioneer 1000 vehicles are utilized by our customers in real world situations. Simple vehicle data would be recorded via a data recording system installed under your driver seat. A few additional sensors and cabling will also need to be installed on the rear control arms. A Honda associate would come at a time and to a place of your convenience to prepare your vehicle for our research study. The setup only takes about 1 hour and the equipment will be non-intrusive to your vehicle and its operation. There will be no effect on the performance of your vehicle and your overall product experience as a result of the equipment being installed. Simply operate your vehicle as you normally would. During the time the equipment is installed, you may be asked to remove, replace, and send a standard SD card back to Honda at Honda’s expense. After a period of 3 - 15 months, a Honda associate will retrieve the equipment. Once again at your convenience and location of choice. After the data you have provided has been reviewed, Honda may wish to contact you for further information or to set up a visit.

Selected participants will receive a total of $300 in Visa gift cards as a token of appreciation for participating in the study. Gift cards will be provided at the initial instrumentation visit ($150), as well as during the time of equipment removal ($150).

If you are interested in participating in this study, please reply back to this email and answer a few basic questions.

• A brief description of how you use your Honda Pioneer 1000.
  • Have you installed aftermarket tires? If yes, what size?
  • A list of current, or planned to be installed accessories:
  • Phone number to be reached at by a Honda Associate:
  • Date/Time that is ok for us to reach out and discuss a little more detail and answer any questions you may have:

View attachment 346737
My only "fear" would be that they might use it to deny a warranty claim or something.

P

PMN

Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2022
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thanks for all the replies, good feedback.

I think I will contact them and get more information.

I don’t plan to do any significant drivetrain or suspension mods, so I may fit what they are looking for.

GROR

GROR

Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 15, 2021
Castle Dale, Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A Honda engineer installed this on my 2022 forest last week, it takes an hour to install. They will give $150 when its installed and $150 when they take it off.

Reactions: Kinlaw, PMN and lee
Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
Honda should have installed that stuff on my Pioneer and @Plumber32 's Talon this weekend
Honestly....they need to show up to events like the takeover...... they'd get all the data they need.
Or, are they fishing for data that tells them how to cut costs. I.E. the "average user" doesn't need a sway bar etc this thick/strong?

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Honestly....they need to show up to events like the takeover...... they'd get all the data they need.
Or, are they fishing for data that tells them how to cut costs. I.E. the "average user" doesn't need a sway bar etc this thick/strong?

I thought they did show up at RRB for the takeover.
Or was that the week after?

Where you at the Takeover @Farmer ?
You could have asked them your questions face to face.

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2

No, I've never been able to make it.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Is was the week after

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
There was a few people from Honda at the event.
Yea, I thought I saw some fliers that sounds like this survey thing on the table (HondaSxS booth).
Might have held one or two in my hand, before I realized it was for stock vehicles.
Have to wonder what they would do with 'data' off my vehicle (oh, why yes I'm an average customer).

@Farmer if you ever do make it give us a heads up.
I'll buy you a beer and we can chat.

Reactions: Farmer
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yea, I thought I saw some fliers that sounds like this survey thing on the table (HondaSxS booth).
Might have held one or two in my hand, before I realized it was for stock vehicles.
Have to wonder what they would do with 'data' off my vehicle (oh, why yes I'm an average customer).

@Farmer if you ever do make it give us a heads up.
I'll buy you a beer and we can chat.
I picked it up and read it as well.
I am not sure if the associate that dropped them off was there on official Honda business, or came to ride with us and brought the paper to gain interest.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!