Honda Talon 2020 S2R no H and No Reverse

A

adidas

Aug 15, 2022
utah
Ownership

1. Talon X
bought this at an auction, as a gample. looks like it tipped to its passenger side as i see markings on body and cage. passenger rear wheel is turned inward forward, prob bent control arm or knee itself. the bigger problem is that it wont drive at H and wont go into reverse, but it does drive in Low gear. Reverse makes a loud grinding noise and barely moves the UTV like half an inch. hopefully i didnt destroy the gears doing that. Once i got it delivered i noticed the subtrans dipstick is clean, got a couple of gear lube quarters and poured about 1.3qts. that didnt help with the situation above.
question is where to start with this? does this sound like a destroyed transmission? engine works fine and oil level is perfect.
im located in northern Utah, if anyone on this form has time to swing by and check it out i would appreciate it and also pay. Thanks

GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
Does the indicator lights in the dash match the position of your shift handle?
When you are in reverse does the dash indicate reverse and also high and low as selected, if it does the cable adjustment is good and you might as well pull the Sub transmission it sounds like it will need to be rebuilt.

A

adidas

Aug 15, 2022
utah
Ownership

1. Talon X
Yeah, gear selector works fine. I'll re note that the utv drives fine on LOW gear.
Is it a tough job to pull the tranny out and rebuild it? Is there a rebuild kit/tool?

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Reverse was already shot, so you couldn't really make it worse by engaging it.

The damage is in your sub-transmission as far as reverse is concerned. Need more info to understand your issue going into high. What does the display show, and what does the machine do? Any noises? It could be as simple as a cable adjustment.

You can see what a reverse replacement looks like here (Pioneer 1000, but essentially the same job). You can do it yourself for around $400 or pay a dealer $1500+

Thread 'Sub-Transmission Service' P1000 - Sub-Transmission Service

Reactions: Smitty335 and CID
Code54

Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
There is a fellow on the Talon forums on Facebook (Thinking his name is Adam Brown) that is getting known for his work on the sub-trans. He also has some hardened gears that are supposed to be upgraded. I may want to check into him. Good luck

A

adidas

Aug 15, 2022
utah
Ownership

1. Talon X
Reverse was already shot, so you couldn't really make it worse by engaging it.

The damage is in your sub-transmission as far as reverse is concerned. Need more info to understand your issue going into high. What does the display show, and what does the machine do? Any noises? It could be as simple as a cable adjustment.

You can see what a reverse replacement looks like here (Pioneer 1000, but essentially the same job). You can do it yourself for around $400 or pay a dealer $1500+

Thread 'Sub-Transmission Service' P1000 - Sub-Transmission Service
Nothing happens at H, it does display H on screen but it does not move at all.
Fellow above said its beyond cable adjustment but ill sure try. I did not take any photos or videos yet but I'll take some. Thanks for the thread mention, I'll check it out.

Reactions: stellarpod
A

adidas

Aug 15, 2022
utah
Ownership

1. Talon X
20220820 210735
20220820 210804
20220820 210839
20220820 210804
Took out the tranny. Here is my findings
Please help me point out which gear to order
20220820 210859
20220820 210857
20220820 205100

• Wow
Reactions: CID and Smittyp
D

Dankathy

May 4, 2020
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Looks like it ran dry? Lots of damage there. Given that i don't know anything about these, i would send it to someone who does in hopes that a insignificant looking failure didn't get over looked. Good luck.

Reactions: CID
A

adidas

Aug 15, 2022
utah
Ownership

1. Talon X
It will get a good wash and cleaned up, just need someone to point out the gears from the diagrams as in which to order and replace.

Reactions: Dankathy

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!