Honda Talon submerged under water

M

McCarthy

Aug 13, 2020
Canada
Ownership

1. Talon X
I’ve seen others stall out in water and start back up just fine.
I guess I assumed the starter wouldn’t have enough strength to bend a rod with a hydro locked cylinder.
Very different situation between stalling and starting it back up within a few seconds, and like OP posted, being out setting up a winch when it dies, then walking back and starting it up. Water goes up the exhaust and hydrolocks the engine after a few seconds.

Quintin4187

Quintin4187

Apr 9, 2021
Missouri
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Update:
Drained the fuel tank with siphon hose, filled with fresh gas and it started right up. Was fortunate I never hydro locked the cylinder and no major issues so far. Took for test drive up and down the dirt road, running proper RPMs shift points are good and no issues so far.

Now just need to drain and flush the fluids, I just did my first service about 300 miles ago. Plan on running a cheap oil through it first couple oil changes, then back to Honda OEM oil.

Will be rerouting all vent lines to hopefully keep from happening again. In the process of winching out I managed to bend my front bumper pretty good, any aftermarket bumpers you guys recommend with winch mounts?

Quintin4187

Quintin4187

Apr 9, 2021
Missouri
Ownership

1. Talon X4
The Talons (and probably most SxSs) are pretty much waterproof, mfrs know they’re gonna get wet. They don’t have any windows and we hose ‘em off with pressure washers, it’s the nature of the beast.

Because of that, I doubt there’s an electrical issue caused by the water. If you didn’t hydro-lock it (sounds like you didn’t, water would have gushed out of the plug holes when you cranked it over), you just have to find what got wet and I’m guessing the fuel.

Don’t tell the dealer you sunk it, if he mentions water marks, tell him that’s from hosing it off and splashes from mud holes.

First oil change, bring it up to two bars then drain. 2nd oil change, let it run for several minutes to steam off any moisture, 3rd oil change, go for a short ride to burn off moisture, 4th oil change and yer good. That’s a very conservative number of changes, removes all doubt about internal water, 3 is probably enough.
Will do man, I’ll keep you guys updated.

Quintin4187

Quintin4187

Apr 9, 2021
Missouri
Ownership

1. Talon X4
The key question for me is did the engine stop (while submerged) because electrical harnesses became wet or due to water in the fuel or did it lock down due to water ingestion into a cylinder? I've never experienced a flooded engine but I would expect an owner familiar with his machine would be able to discern between a normal shut down and a sudden lock down.

When you tried to restart the engine did the starter rotate the engine but it failed to start or did the starter simply click and perhaps make a clunking sound because the engine could not rotate?

If the engine locked down while running it's very likely a rod was bent. That's "hydra-lock." Air in a cylinder will compress, water does not.

If the engine did not ingest water and hydra-lock, changing all fluids and filers, draining and refilling the gas tank, and drying all the wiring harnesses may return things to normal. When modern highly accessorized cars are submerged in water insurance companies usually declare them a total loss because the electrical problems and labor charges are never ending. Our buggies are much simpler. If you have pretty good mechanical skills and feel bold you might try removing the engine wiring harness(es) and hang them vertically in the sun to dry for 24 hours.

If your buggy is insured with a good liability, comprehensive, and collision coverage the company might pay for repairs if they believe the submersion was an accident.

Once you get past this experience you might want to consider a boat for the times your beer consumption leads you to pllay in the creek.
Luckily it died due to water in fuel. It was cranking over no problem, in and out of the water 😬.

Also, what are these “bOat” contraptions your speaking off? You mean to tell me they have machines designed specifically for the water??

toddvdh

toddvdh

Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2020
Green Bay, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Good to hear you got it. I had my Honda rubicon 500 floating upside down in the water many years ago after breaking through the ice. I had it for 15 years after that and never had a problem.

I wouldn’t worry about yours, probably 2-3 oil changes. make sure you get your machine is to a good temperature (at least 2 bars). Between them.

Rayger143

Rayger143

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 5, 2020
Winfield, BC Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That's awesome news. Like I said before. Honda! PICT0022

LilRedDonkey

LilRedDonkey

Feb 25, 2021
cheesyland
Ownership

1. 500
So took the Talon out to the creek today and was driving through the water. Didn't have seat belt on and wasn't a problem, but hit some soft spot in the sand. Due to the seat belt being off the talon hit the rev limiter, (15mph) while spinning out. Nevertheless I got stuck. Water was up to dash and got out with it still running to hook up winch, after few minutes machine shut off, uh oh. Also water never did get up above the intake, it was leaning. Ended up trying to start it back but would not start back up under water. Got it back out onto dry land and still wouldn't start. Luckily I wasn't too far from home and was pulled back to my house.

I let it sit for about 2 hours and tried starting, still won't start. I removed all 4 seats and blew out water around electrical connections. I removed spark plugs and cranked for a while and found that had some moisture on plugs. Checked the oil and oil is milky, uh oh #2. Haven't checked the sub trans or trans oil yet.

So my question is, if I flush the trans, sub trans, front and rear differentials, and oil, take to dealer will my warranty be voided? I'm sure I can get it started as long as the electrical modules aren't fried, but if I can't would my warranty be pointless if there's more damage to the motor?

From what I've read I'm assuming their are vents to fuel tank and some other components. Is their another decent way to direct those to keep this from happening again. I probably would have been fine had the talon not died while sitting in water. It probably set in water for 15 mins while we got it out.

Try to keep the hate to a minimum, I realize that these aren't submarines, but a little beer and these things sure seem like they can go anywhere lol.

I attached some photos...maybe a learning experience for someone else, or a nice chuckle?

View attachment 273298 View attachment 273299
all that ground around, hmm. lol. i guess when your old fun comes easy.:) use one of these next time!!
Frontier 600 6x6 black right main

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Glad to hear it’s back up and going! You dodged a bullet, about 50% of the 1000 platform fails to water it truly hates it. Chalk it up and get everything extended.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
My buggy has never even been on a muddy road but just out of curiosity, for those of you who play hard, how deep in still water can a Pioneer 1000 survive?

Assuming a smooth and level sandy bottom in a creek, for example, what part of the buggy do you use as a maximum depth marker?

Ohio4x4

Ohio4x4

I brought the dishwasher
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
If you're still running the factory set up. A fast splash through a puddle can cause issues. Also there are a few vents down pretty low. I told my brother nothing over his ankles until he extended his vents. This was one of my first mods even before my winch. As for a snorkel the gates radiator hose for an under hood snorkel works well if you dont want the obvious snorkel. All said and done it was roughly 50 bucks to know our asses will be wet before anything important to the machine. I have the Joey snorkel now through the hood and have no intention to use it. That said I do like being able to see that intake just for those oh s*** moments.

58A6602A 1CF1 4616 9D40 7633B6A3A82C

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
My buggy has never even been on a muddy road but just out of curiosity, for those of you who play hard, how deep in still water can a Pioneer 1000 survive?

Assuming a smooth and level sandy bottom in a creek, for example, what part of the buggy do you use as a maximum depth marker?

You’ve got updated intake so you’re slightly safer on the splash test, first few models could take in small amounts of water just through puddles then inhale once lower tube is full.
They can go through water as deep as the grill at crawl pace no problem but if there’s any kind wave it can be sucked in. Also low spots under water can dunk the nose in. Seriously it’s a large percentage that can fail once water is in the intake. It’s costly. This can be easily remedied by simple snorkel, good idea even if not planning to go boating.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
If you're still running the factory set up. A fast splash through a puddle can cause issues. Also there are a few vents down pretty low. I told my brother nothing over his ankles until he extended his vents. This was one of my first mods even before my winch. As for a snorkel the gates radiator hose for an under hood snorkel works well if you dont want the obvious snorkel. All said and done it was roughly 50 bucks to know our asses will be wet before anything important to the machine. I have the Joey snorkel now through the hood and have no intention to use it. That said I do like being able to see that intake just for those oh s*** moments.

View attachment 273835
This.

Reactions: rtn001 and Ohio4x4
HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
You’ve got updated intake so you’re slightly safer on the splash test, first few models could take in small amounts of water just through puddles then inhale once lower tube is full.
They can go through water as deep as the grill at crawl pace no problem but if there’s any kind wave it can be sucked in. Also low spots under water can dunk the nose in. Seriously it’s a large percentage that can fail once water is in the intake. It’s costly. This can be easily remedied by simple snorkel, good idea even if not planning to go boating.
Thanks. That's helpful info. I'm not going to play in the mud but many younger guys will.

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
Still in the talon forum but feeling lost. 😂

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5

View attachment 273835
What kind of bumper is that? I like it.

Reactions: Ohio4x4

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!