P700 Honda (Warn) winch install problems

16HP700-4Blue

Mar 27, 2017
Wilkes barre, PA
Ownership

1. 700-4
A few weeks ago, I purchased a 2016 Pioneer 700-4. I took it home the day I bought it but I wanted a winch and a roof. The dealer had the winch but had to order the roof and the installation kit. The salesman told me that they could install it in about 3 hours but I did not want to pay the extra money. I asked if it was difficult to install and he said it should not be a problem.

A week later, I picked up all three items and rushed home to check them out. Thanks to this forum, I found the directions for the install. I read them and I thought it was straightforward but would take some time.

I spent about onE and a half hours getting all the hardware on and moved on to the electrical section. When I got to page 15 step 21, things went sideways.

The instructions say to “Remove the 2 pin fan connector from its anchor and disconnect it.” Next, they say to “Connect the winch sub harness between the two halves of the fan connector.” The problem I had was the connectors did not match up. I was sure I was looking in the correct spot because there is a picture with the location and I traced the wires to the fan.

So, I called the dealer and asked them what to do. They told me there is a connector under the hood that it will fit. After some searching, I did indeed find one that fit and I thought I was in the clear. It took another couple of hours to get the rest of the lines run and connected. Once everything was tight, I turned the key one and plugged in the remote. Clicked the switch and…… absolutely nothing.

I‘m no electrician so at this point I was scared. I double checked all the connections and went over the instructions again. Nothing obvious to me. My initial thoughts were a bad contactor, a bad remote or was I supposed to get an in-cab switch with the winch and that was somehow causing my issues. I thought about that last one only because the salesman mentioned it and several articles online mentioned the extra switch when installing warn winches.

After hours online and talking to people at work, I got the multi-meter out and started checking voltage. Every place I thought I should have voltage I did. I checked the resistance in the remote to see if there was a short in it but that was good. I finally asked a friend at work from the maintenance department to take a look for me.

We tracked the issue down to the contactor not getting a signal from the remote. Because I didn’t have a strong understanding of vehicle electrical systems, I missed the fact that one of two things happened. Either Honda supplied me with the incorrect sub-harness for my Pioneer, or the sub-harness was wired incorrectly.

The connector that the sub-harness fit was to the cigarette lighter. I didn’t think this was a problem because it was key on hot. The harness had two wires with a third spliced in to one of the legs. Turns out that the spliced wire in the harness was supposed to be hot to give power to the remote. In the cigarette lighter circuit the hot and neutral were opposite of what they needed to be in the sub-harness. To fix this I had to take the harness apart, remove the spliced in wire and connect the two pieces back together. Then cut the other wire and put the splice on that side. Gave it a test and now everything works as it should.

What makes me mad is the MAIN reason I bought a winch from Honda was that it should have been a plug and play deal. The other reason was that I could wrap the cost into the financing. I could have bought an after-market winch and kit for far less money.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Does anyone know if I received the wrong harness or if it was wired incorrectly?

Thanks in advance for any answers you may have.

I hope this post helps anyone having the same issue.

-16HP700-4Blue

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
Before you get anything else just ask us and wait 2 days for ALL replies.

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
I'd like to see a few pictures.
I'd like a pic where you thought you were supposed to plug into.
Then a picture where you did plug into.
And a pic of your mounted relay.

I have the same machine with the same winch. I'm not going to be home until Wednesday, and I will only be passing through on my way to the gulf. I will try to remember to take lots of picture of the wiring arrangement but I won't be back on this forum until next Monday.

If no-one else can help before then I'd be glad to.

16HP700-4Blue

Mar 27, 2017
Wilkes barre, PA
Ownership

1. 700-4
Below are the pictures requested. First is the connector I found that fit. That goes to the cigarette lighter. Next is the one the instructions told me to use that didn't fit (fan connector). The third is a screenshot of the instructions that said to use the fan connector.

After I switched the extra wire on the sub harness from the neutral side to the hot side everything worked as it should but I shouldn't have had to do that with a factory harness.
720856f42f3c87cc1183880048793d56.jpg
063db530f571be5ad154094b70c2d78a.jpg
23bb0d7bd30186fe5f608fe4ea3905ea.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!