P1000 (Hot Seat) 7" fan install P1000-3

Toolmaker67

Toolmaker67

Apr 28, 2021
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I installed a 7" radiator fan under my seat to help with the HOT sest problem that Honda doesn't seem to care about addressing. Installation was fairly simple. I made a "L" bracket at work and mounted it to the cross brace under under the seat.
Installed a rocker switch plate in the dash. It was gonna wire it to the key on power harness from the auxiliary power socket in the dash. Instead I decided to go straight from the battery with in line 10 Amp fuse.
Fan pulls 7.7 amp 80 watts.
1st ride out the wife said it helped ALOT.
I have some fresh air vents I'm gonna put under the seat, That should open it up and give it more air flow. Also installing a welding blanket under seat soon. My wife is good at sewing and fitting, she'll be handy at sizing the blanket up for a good fit.
I don't know what the fan CFM is but seems to have pretty good air flow. I aimed the fan towards the head and headers.
You can clearly feel a nice amount of air moving back under the bed.

Toolmaker67

Toolmaker67

Apr 28, 2021
Ownership

1. 1000-3
A few pics of install

20210716 064111 20210716 065004 20210716 073639 20210716 073646

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
All be it the fan is a great idea and i have one myself, you did a fine job btw. If i remember correctly the P1K3 has a panel behind the seat that most guys have removed to get rid of a majority of the heat. Have u tried that or searched on here for that mod?

Toolmaker67

Toolmaker67

Apr 28, 2021
Ownership

1. 1000-3
All be it the fan is a great idea and i have one myself, you did a fine job btw. If i remember correctly the P1K3 has a panel behind the seat that most guys have removed to get rid of a majority of the heat. Have u tried that or searched on here for that mod?
Thanks and yes the P1K3 has 3 panels of shrouding covering the engine and drive train that is easily removable. I did have all the shrouding removed for a while. I think it did help but not alot. I reinstalled the shrouding to see how it works with the fan. I'll get the venting installed in the front of the seat for fresh air intake and give updates. I think that's gonna help a bunch.
Wish I could figure out how to hook up my ECHO backpack blower. That thing will blow the Chrome off a trailer hitch!

20210716 142902

Bmurray

Bmurray

Lifetime Member
May 6, 2021
Missouri but soon to be Idaho
Ownership

1. Talon X
I'm sure Honda hasn't addressed this heat issue, so when I get mine I'm going to do all the heat mods that I can including a fan and the switch. You can buy the adhesive reflection sheets or rolls on amazon. This stuff you'll find on about all dirt track race cars for the same reasons. It'll be installed everywhere I can before it gets dirty. I was thinking a side went coming in and the other side going out. Sorta like a fume vent on a bass boat.

I think we can all keep each other updated on any mods and results we get.

Last edited:
Toolmaker67

Toolmaker67

Apr 28, 2021
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I'm sure Honda hasn't addressed this heat issue, so when I get mine I'm going to do all the heat mods that I can including a fan and the switch. You can buy the adhesive reflection sheets or rolls on amazon. This stuff you'll find on about all dirt track race cars for the same reasons. It'll be installed everywhere I can before it gets dirty. I was thinking a side went coming in and the other side going out. Sorta like a fume vent on a bass boat.

I think we can all keep each other updated on any mods and results we get.

Good luck with your mods!
Researching these forums will serve you well as it has me.
I was Pissed the 1st day at how warm the passenger seat gets after a short ride. My wife was like.... I'm Not riding in this when it's hot out!
I got these ideas from members on the forums. Bits and pieces here and there. I looked for a quality foil heat blanket online that was a big enough to cover my lower and upper seat in one piece. Could not find one so I decided to try fiberglass welding blanket. Harbor freight has them cheap.
Overall we enjoy our Pioneer, but they do require fixing the Honda Bone Head engineering issues.
I would fire the manager who decided not to addition heat issue. 😀

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I took mine off and the benefit was negligible….

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Good luck with your mods!
Researching these forums will serve you well as it has me.
I was Pissed the 1st day at how warm the passenger seat gets after a short ride. My wife was like.... I'm Not riding in this when it's hot out!
I got these ideas from members on the forums. Bits and pieces here and there. I looked for a quality foil heat blanket online that was a big enough to cover my lower and upper seat in one piece. Could not find one so I decided to try fiberglass welding blanket. Harbor freight has them cheap.
Overall we enjoy our Pioneer, but they do require fixing the Honda Bone Head engineering issues.
I would fire the manager who decided not to addition heat issue. 😀
Do you think the blanket is a better choice over the foil?

Toolmaker67

Toolmaker67

Apr 28, 2021
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Do you think the blanket is a better choice over the foil?
I have not installed blanket yet I'll be doing that soon. The welding blanket has a heat rating of about 1000゚ I will double it over for 2 layers And install from the bottom of the front seat and up to the top of the back all one piece. The current time I have a cheap Walmart window shade installed. It's better than nothing.
On a side note I have noticed you can get water under your seat when you wash it and it can mildew do if you don't pull the seat out and let it dry. You can yank the seat out in about 10 seconds.
So... a welding blanket could possibly be a big sponge for water absorption. And being fiberglass it's not going to wipe off clean like a good foil blanket.
+'s & -'s to just about anything we try.
I will update when I get the blanket installed.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have not installed blanket yet I'll be doing that soon. The welding blanket has a heat rating of about 1000゚ I will double it over for 2 layers And install from the bottom of the front seat and up to the top of the back all one piece. The current time I have a cheap Walmart window shade installed. It's better than nothing.
On a side note I have noticed you can get water under your seat when you wash it and it can mildew do if you don't pull the seat out and let it dry. You can yank the seat out in about 10 seconds.
So... a welding blanket could possibly be a big sponge for water absorption. And being fiberglass it's not going to wipe off clean like a good foil blanket.
+'s & -'s to just about anything we try.
I will update when I get the blanket installed.
Thank You!

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I installed a 7" radiator fan under my seat to help with the HOT sest problem that Honda doesn't seem to care about addressing. Installation was fairly simple. I made a "L" bracket at work and mounted it to the cross brace under under the seat.
Installed a rocker switch plate in the dash. It was gonna wire it to the key on power harness from the auxiliary power socket in the dash. Instead I decided to go straight from the battery with in line 10 Amp fuse.
Fan pulls 7.7 amp 80 watts.
1st ride out the wife said it helped ALOT.
I have some fresh air vents I'm gonna put under the seat, That should open it up and give it more air flow. Also installing a welding blanket under seat soon. My wife is good at sewing and fitting, she'll be handy at sizing the blanket up for a good fit.
I don't know what the fan CFM is but seems to have pretty good air flow. I aimed the fan towards the head and headers.
You can clearly feel a nice amount of air moving back under the bed.
Do you think an 8" fan could fit in the same way your 7" sits? I found an 8" on Amazon with 1700cfm

Toolmaker67

Toolmaker67

Apr 28, 2021
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Do you think an 8" fan could fit in the same way your 7" sits? I found an 8" on Amazon with 1700cfm
Yes there was alittle room to spare with my 7" fan. I would try the 8" and make "L" bracket as shown in my pics. Think I used 1 3/4 wide SS for the fan bracket. Heat it up and bend your L.
Drill mounting holes in cross brace for 10-32 button head mounting bolts.
There's alot of open room there to mount a fan assembly. I ran my wires along with the shift cables. Installation is not to difficult.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes there was alittle room to spare with my 7" fan. I would try the 8" and make "L" bracket as shown in my pics. Think I used 1 3/4 wide SS for the fan bracket. Heat it up and bend your L.
Drill mounting holes in cross brace for 10-32 button head mounting bolts.
There's alot of open room there to mount a fan assembly. I ran my wires along with the shift cables. Installation is not to difficult.
I like what you have going on. I started a thread hoping to discuss the bilge vs radiator fans. The bilge fans don't move as much air as a radiator fan does. However so far everyone in my thread are using bilge fans.

Toolmaker67

Toolmaker67

Apr 28, 2021
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I like what you have going on. I started a thread hoping to discuss the bilge vs radiator fans. The bilge fans don't move as much air as a radiator fan does. However so far everyone in my thread are using bilge fans.
I could not find the bilge vs radiator fan thread?
I will add that the fan I installed is not loud.
You can only hear it when sitting still at idle.
I think the factory radiator fan makes more noise than the seat fan. Another plus is you could swap out this fan relatively fast and if your replacement fan had different bolt pattern just drill new holes. I think the radiator fans will probably blow the doors off the bilge fans.

M

mibracedude

Jul 18, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. 700-4
Can someone please post a picture of exactly where they mounted the automotive fan. I'm thinking it would be best situated by cutting a hole in the vertical plastic panel below the front seat. I've been reading lots on this forum about bilge pumps but nothing compares to the cfm's of an automotive fan. Any pics to share from a successful fan install?

Toolmaker67

Toolmaker67

Apr 28, 2021
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Can someone please post a picture of exactly where they mounted the automotive fan. I'm thinking it would be best situated by cutting a hole in the vertical plastic panel below the front seat. I've been reading lots on this forum about bilge pumps but nothing compares to the cfm's of an automotive fan. Any pics to share from a successful fan install?
Scroll to the top of this thread for pics of successful fan install.

tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Tested out my 4” bilge fan today, riding in the CO mountains, I put the heat reflective material on all the panels in the rear and have it below the front seat. This combination was amazing riding today.

Engine temp bars went up to 3 and I could still touch the plastic panels over the motor and leave my hand on them. No hot air came up behind the front seat either. I ran the engine fan most of the time and that pumps the heat into the front, need to find a way to reduce that and it’ll be perfect.

I still highly recommend having a split front windshield as that make a huge difference in just having air flow.

I and my passengers were extremely happy and they could tell a big diff from when we last rode out here in May.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!