Hotter Thermostat

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
I was wondering if I was to install a thermostat with a higher degree [ 195] if i would need to have to install a different temp sensor for the cooling fan for the rad. I know that the pioneer comes with a 180 degree thermostat and would like to change it to a 195. I've installed the 195 in my car and trucks and tractors to get more heat from the heaters.Both car and trucks have the sensors in the rads so no need to have to change them. Not sure were the one on the Pioneer is and even if I could find one that would work in the Pioneer. I do know that I had to change the one in my Polaris last year because it failed. It was in the head just below the thermostat. Think I'am going to have to see if I can get a thermostat for the Pioneer first. Anyone know if there just a regular one or what there like.???

Lynn

Lynn

Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
Yakima,WA
I don't know for sure but looking at the service manual it looks normal just smaller diameter. But you may be on to something to get more heat out of the heater. I was ridding today in 18-30 degree weather and it's fine when going uphill but on the level or going downhill it will not put out enough heat even after insulating the hoses and sealing the cold air coming in around the levers. Let me know what you find out.

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
Lynn said:
I don't know for sure but looking at the service manual it looks normal just smaller diameter. But you may be on to something to get more heat out of the heater. Let me know what you find out.

I've looked in the service manual as well and it looks to be round.Guess I'll just have to pull it out and see. The sub compact tractor that I have uses a smaller dia one and so does the Polaris Ranger 500. I'll have to take a look at it next week as busy for the next couple days.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What about putting a heater valve from a 70's model Ford Truck? It diverts flow to the heater core, it would let more HOT coolant from the motor go to the heater than the radiator. since the Heater hose is smaller than the radiator hose the coolant is taking the path of least resistance and most of it it hitting the rad, if you were to restrict that flow SLIGHTLY, too much and you'll burn the motor up. It would give you more heat.

Just a thought, and that would be changeable via a cable from the cab instead of modding the thermostat and sensor every season.

Lynn

Lynn

Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
Yakima,WA
yea , that's a great idea using a heater control valve. I thought about putting a restriction in the radiator hose, but your idea is much better if I can find one the right size.

spifyd

spifyd

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2014
newhampshire
just move the hoses to the oil cooler line you get the water heat (all of it) and the oil heat and that will run at 195.

spifyd

spifyd

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2014
newhampshire
just move the hoses to the oil cooler line you get the water heat (all of it) and the oil heat and that will run at 195.

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
When I first made/modified, my heater from my Ranger and installed it into my Pioneer , I ran my water lines from the oil cooler line. The heat isn't that bad but hoping to be making it better.As long as the machine is used on trails and working its fine. My biggest thing is that when out riding were doing quite a bit of back road riding and thats when I wish for more heat. The cab cools off quite a bit on the roads. The temps were I live along with any windchill plus cruising 30-35 mph sure sucks the heat out of the cab.This is why I'am trying to get a more heat out of the heater. I've got the cab sealed up really well but still on the roads it cools off.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!