BOX1 - TEST

P1000 How many people had an A arm rip off?

M

Marcel

Nov 14, 2018
Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
5501E210 FD0E 4CDC AD14 FA0658B597D0
D1F6C378 8D97 4ACA B5BC 0689593D9C12
I have 700km on my 2018 pioneer 1000. I was driving 10-15 km/h over an icy puddle and fell through, I must have hit the wheel on the ice somehow because my front upper A arm ripped off. I’ve hit way worse with my other SXS, and never had any issues. This hit wasn’t even hard enough to make me get out and check for damage, so I kept going and drove another 20 ft, until my wheel starting rubbing against the wheel well.

My issue is, this is a 1700 lbs machine. The bracket that holds the a arm is a joke. On the upper arm, there’s just 2 pieces of metal that the bolt goes through to hold it, and it’s thin!!! My old Yamaha had 4. I then looked at the Honda ATV’s, the 500 and 700 sxs, they all have 4 as well, and the same thinkness. How can this be a good design for their heaviest machine!!

I was hoping to start a thread to see how common this is.
Have other people had this issue yet? If so, Do you feel like the collision was strong enough to rip the a arm off?

Reactions: sharp and TimG
test - test -test test - test -test
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Falling through the ice like that creates all kinds of carnage. That's a ton of pressure getting directed on one little piece. It's not common. But has happened. Suprising you didn't bend the tie rod .

Reactions: sharp
test - test -test
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I’ve yet to tear one without being in a crash but have seen a few take it out by simply just overdriving a corner. It is thin but can be reinforced.
“Correct “ fix is replacement but that’s kind of a pita to change out the front frame section so I’d either weld it up and reinforce both front uppers or find someone decent that would do it.

Reactions: sharp and pct
test - test -test
Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Quite a few people have. Including myself. Some have had the whole tab break off others the eye hole pulled out like yourself. Reinforce both uppers.

test - test -test
H

HondaTech

Ive seen a customer hit a tree and shear the bolt off.

Then my GM flipped his and ripped it off similar to yours.

I've seen 2 700s rip the rear upper mount off, both passenger side.

test - test -test
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Ive seen a customer hit a tree and shear the bolt off.

Then my GM flipped his and ripped it off similar to yours.

I've seen 2 700s rip the rear upper mount off, both passenger side.
Yep happens to 700 too lol. But can take out a arm first.
7ED78FFB F43C 4C95 BE8E 0A37751D57B4

test - test -test test - test -test test - test -test
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
That’s the thing. I’d rather have the a arm bend or rip before part of the frame breaks. I feel like it’s under engineered for such a large machine. The 700 has 4 brackets for the a arm, the 1000 has 2 for the upper. I don’t feel like that’s enough.
I do like weak links as it keeps trouble at bay. Just like up grading tie rods, I’ll leave mine stock thank you. But there is definitely a fine line sometimes, I can see from a manufacturing standpoint it’s got to be difficult to find the happy medium

Reactions: BigOL3
test - test -test test - test -test
BOX2
box3 - TEST

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!