P1000 How many times does your pioneer turn over before starting?

C

Clew In

Oct 9, 2021
Georgia
Ownership

1. Looking to buy

2. 700-4

3. 1000-5
I noticed my pioneer turns over about 3-5 times before starting. Is this normal for the Pioneer 1000-5?

My Honda Foreman is a pain to cold start but once it is warmed up it fires up on the first turn over. Just wondering about the fuel injection on the Pioneer 1000-5.

Rock On,

Tom

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I think mine also turns over several times before it fires and has since day one. I would NOT describe it as hard starting.

I think that's perfectly normal because with codmputer-controlled fuel injection and ignition the engine has to rotate at least one or two full rotations for the computer to synchronize with crankshaft rotation.

A trained Honda tech can probably explain this better than I can.

I recall having the same concerns you have when I bought a then new '08 Ram w/6.7L Cummins HPCR engine. Previous Cummins engines I had owned started instantly. The 6.7 used a computer-controlled injection system and I learned that it had to rotate a couple of rotations for the computer to synch with the crank.

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I noticed my pioneer turns over about 3-5 times before starting. Is this normal for the Pioneer 1000-5?

My Honda Foreman is a pain to cold start but once it is warmed up it fires up on the first turn over. Just wondering about the fuel injection on the Pioneer 1000-5.

Rock On,

Tom
No needs spark plugs or better gas or valve adjustment. Or you're not waiting for the fuel pump when you turn your key.

Last edited:
bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That must be a new feature on the SE model?
I think probably so. The SE and LE both have intelligent 4WD or i4WD for short. Stands to reason that intelligence quite naturally spreads throughout the machine. They are clearly smarter than the more plebian, or as we like to say, shiftier dumbed down models!

I'm gonna catch it for this, aren't I. Let me just apologize now for all the hurt feelings and bouts of constipation etcetera.

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
33°F this morning. I turned key on and let the dash and fuel pump cycle. Started on the 3rd "turn over". This is normal for my machine

advertisement
HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
33°F this morning. I turned key on and let the dash and fuel pump cycle. Started on the 3rd "turn over". This is normal for my machine
Yep.

Think about it.

Perhaps a Honda tech will correct me if I'm wrong here. I don't think the ignition spark distribution or the fuel injection system are mechanically geared to the crankshaft so there has to be a sensor that picks up a signal as the crankshaft or camshaft rotate. That electrical impulse allows the spark and injection systems to synchronize with the rotation of the crankshaft.

Last edited:
G

Griff

Oct 29, 2016
Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Rock On,

Tom
My 2016 P1K-5 has been slow to start since day one.
Even after installing a dual battery setup, there was no difference.
Griff

boostedoxide

boostedoxide

Oct 16, 2021
North GA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a '21 P1000-5 LE. Same thing as you described on mine as well. Colder starts take 2-3 full rotation cycles, warmer starts or starts immediately after shutting off, 1-2 short cycles or instant key blip start if still hot.

That issue was a minor concern for me as soon as it was backed off the delivery trailer. After reading the same thing happening to a few other people it's easy to see that that's just how these vehicles are designed. Not exactly what you would expect from something with a HONDA name, but the pioneer is a very electronic fidgety querky kind of animal. I guess we just have to get used to the new era of electronic ignition and fuel injection 😐

Off topic, but holy mother of God what about that first service interval bill! I forked out over $800 for parts+labor and got out cheap with a military discount..

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I have a '21 P1000-5 LE. Same thing as you described on mine as well. Colder starts take 2-3 full rotation cycles, warmer starts or starts immediately after shutting off, 1-2 short cycles or instant key blip start if still hot.

That issue was a minor concern for me as soon as it was backed off the delivery trailer. After reading the same thing happening to a few other people it's easy to see that that's just how these vehicles are designed. Not exactly what you would expect from something with a HONDA name, but the pioneer is a very electronic fidgety querky kind of animal. I guess we just have to get used to the new era of electronic ignition and fuel injection 😐

Off topic, but holy mother of God what about that first service interval bill! I forked out over $800 for parts+labor and got out cheap with a military discount..
You got ripped off I bet they love you, should be around $300 at the most.

B

Brianvfr750

Nov 1, 2020
Iowa
Ownership

1. 700-2

Rock On,

Tom
On my 700, when it gets colder, cranks probably 3 revolutions, I stop, rotate again starts. I feel like it’s heating combustion chamber (from compression strokes) slightly. Gotta vapor that fuel, even with fuel injection. I always wait till fuel pressure is satisfied too off of ignition switch.

Reactions: Bama-Daniel
B

Brianvfr750

Nov 1, 2020
Iowa
Ownership

1. 700-2
On my 700, when it gets colder, cranks probably 3 revolutions, I stop, rotate again starts. I feel like it’s heating combustion chamber (from compression strokes) slightly. Gotta vapor that fuel, even with fuel injection. I always wait till fuel pressure is satisfied too off of ignition switch.
And, that’s with correct valve lash, and fresh spark plug, 91 no alcohol fuel with Stabil, which I add to fuel cans as soon as I get ‘em home.

Bama-Daniel

Bama-Daniel

Lifetime Member
Feb 25, 2021
Priceville, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Sorry bud but you got hosed. Mine was around $180.00. Mines a dumbed down (@bumperm) version though so maybe they felt sorry for me.;)😂 Wondering if they had to adjust your valves? Pretty sure I only got an oil/filter change.

3 or 4 cranks and my beast is ready to roll.

Reactions: Smitty335

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!