P500 How ominous is this noise?

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
So many things that could be, could be a small exhaust leak all the way to piston slap or a spun bearing.

Troubleshooting:

1. Is the noise present at start up?
  2. Does it get worse or better as the engine warms?
  3. Smoke?
  4. Have you been able to pinpoint a general area other than just the back of the Pioneer?
  5. Have you changed the oil or checked the oil level?
  6. Any carbon deposits on the exhaust that is new?
  7. With a coolish exhaust and engine, can you shake the exhaust to see if it is moving or banging?
  8. Try to listen near the gas tank; some times a fuel pump can make a lot of noise. A fuel pump that is going bad will stay fairly consistent while the engine RPMS vary.
Anything different about the 500? Oil, sparkplug, recent mud run... timing can play into this. Just trying to give some suggestions since none of us are close enough to diagnose in person.

P

pappyo

Dec 19, 2013
Pin-point the noise 1st.
Take a long ( 18/24in. ) serew driver poor-man's Stethoscope.
Move the Metal end around while touching various spots ( Put the Handle End to your Ear )
You will be able to zero in on exact area it's the loudest.
Then get back to the forum for further help.
DOES APPEAR LOUDER THAN Should Be.
Suspect the loudest will be at the crank case.
Hope I'm WRONG.
KEEP us posted.

Last edited:
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Out riding yesterday and started hearing a noise. I though it was something vibrating, but couldn't figure out from where.
This is a 2017 with 4800 miles. Just used for trail riding and plowing snow.

Link to video

I'm no mechanic, but the first thing I would check is valve adjustment, to me it sounds like valve chatter?

T

Tstover

Dec 15, 2018
Central PA
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks for all the replies. I’ve changed the oil and replaced air filter just because, dropped the skid plate to look for debris, and check the rear diff for any binding or wear. Found nothing so far. Plan to remove the rear rack and fenders to give better access and adjust the valves, but I fear pappyo may be right.

T

Tstover

Dec 15, 2018
Central PA
Ownership

1. 500
Update: Intake boot was loose. I bought this used and have never touched that boot. I bought it with 200 miles on it from a 75 yo guy so I doubt he messed with it. Anyway, complete top end is on the way.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Update: Intake boot was loose. I bought this used and have never touched that boot. I bought it with 200 miles on it from a 75 yo guy so I doubt he messed with it. Anyway, complete top end is on the way.
Easy fix ;)

Ask me how I know 🤣
20201228 170302
20201211 172719

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
My first car was a 1970 Datsun 240z. I spun a bearing on one of the connecting rods and had a horrible knock. Ended up tearing the engine out and rebuilt it myself when I was in college. I learned that I could do just about anything if I needed to. I also had an amazing IT career, and I learned from that too. I found that there are a lot of really talented people out there that have skills I do not really want to learn. So now, I pay for a lot of stuff to get done that I don't want to tackle. I understand getting help on this...

For those that have been here for the last year, you no doubt watched my build up on my P520. Which is of course is contrary to the advice I gave above. I felt if I was going to transport my wife and I into the backcountry, I better have an idea of how to resolve some mechanical issues I might encounter. Sometimes, it makes sense to do it yourself and other times not so much.

Anyway, glad you have found the issue and are getting it corrected.

Rob

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
You're making my eye twitch!

I took it somewhere to have it done, I'm just not that brave!
This was actually a perfectly fine, running engine. I tore it down to see if I could install the P520 cylinder (518cc) on the P500, it turns out you can but it isn't easy! I now have the only (to my knowledge) 2016 P520, it'll do an honest 50 mph with one rider.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!