P1000 I have multiple codes in my 2016 pioneer 1000.

Hawk53

Hawk53

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2014
Alberta Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-3
My question is about reading the codes. Is there a long light or anything between the codes? I have many codes and finding it hard to distinquish between the the start and end of codes. I would also like to know if there is any way to tell the difference between the steering codes and the PCM codes? Other than the numbers after retrieval. As the both are flashing when trying to retrieve codes.
Also wondering if there is an adapter to connect to an OBD 2 code reader or if it is even compatible?

Last edited:
Reactions: Lady01 and TxDoc
NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My question is about reading the codes. Is there a long light or anything between the codes. I have many codes and finding it hard to distinquish between the the start and end of codes. I would also like to know if there is any way to tell the difference between the steering codes and the PCM codes. Other than the numbers after retrieval.
Can you record a video of the codes, upload it to youtube and post the link here? There will likely be plenty of people to jump in and help if you can.

Reactions: Hawk53 and Lady01
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Multiple codes will be one after the other in this fashion.
long binks, short blinks, (long pause between codes), long blinks, short blinks, (long pause between codes), long blinks, short blinks.....

Every multiple code I have seen has been due to rodent damage eating a batch of wires or a connector unplugged.

Hawk53

Hawk53

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2014
Alberta Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Multiple codes will be one after the other in this fashion.
long binks, short blinks, (long pause between codes), long blinks, short blinks, (long pause between codes), long blinks, short blinks.....

Every multiple code I have seen has been due to rodent damage eating a batch of wires or a connector unplugged.
Thank you Hondasxs

Reactions: Lady01
Hawk53

Hawk53

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2014
Alberta Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-3
2016, intermittent problems... like what?
like.. shutting off while running for no known reason?
This has happen to me only on 2 trips ( last year and this year) travelling the same terrain. Winding sand trail with lots of fairly aggressive hills. Pulling my tub trailer loaded with gear. The steering light came on three times in the 28km run. I have a steering wheel spinner so feel I may have just overheated the assist. Locked to first gear then. Disconnected the battery for a few minutes each time and shifting restored. (This was going in). Coming back out I got the steering problem once. Resolved the same way. I then got a flashing engine light and defaulted to 1st gear also. Resolved issue by disconnecting the battery and good to go for a while. This happened 3 times also in the 28 km hilly winding sand trail with similar but reduced load. (had been in the bush for 7 days and supplies had depleted some).
When I got to the main trail which is also sand but wide and less aggressive hills (travelling at a faster speed and not working the machine as hard) it did not act up once in the 50kms travelled in that part of the run.

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
My 2016 PK 1000-3 has had the steering light come on and then doesn't work untill I shut off the machine. Once restart is works fine. Mind you mine only does it when I have the tracks on and in deep snow turning sharply. So the steering oveload cuts out the steering. With a spinner driving in the sand I suspect your over working the electric steering.
Now to do with your shifting issue you can try this. , and it won't cost you anything. Pull your shift motor off .Take it apart and clean off the armature . it's probably going to look black . Clean it up and try it out. Easy way to put it back together is to place the brushes and black plastic brush holder over the armature ,hold onto the armature keeping the brush holder tight as you install it into the housing. The magnetic pull of the housing will want pull the armature in so holding the brushes and holder is what you do in order put it back together.
This is what I would do and if you find that this corrects your shifting issue you can always buy a new shift motor and keep your old one for a spare in case the new one should ever act up again. I carry my old cleaned up one with me just in case the new one ever acts up on the trail. There easy enough to change.

Hawk53

Hawk53

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2014
Alberta Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Can you record a video of the codes, upload it to youtube and post the link here? There will likely be plenty of people to jump in and help if you can.
Got it figured Jeremie. Didnt seem like enough time between the codes to write the numbers down and not miss the start of the next code. I used an audio recording and called out the numbers. After a few attempts got all the codes. :) Thanks for your input. I did record it also so that I could control the speed of veiwing.

• Love
Reactions: NTCPrezJB
advertisement
Hawk53

Hawk53

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2014
Alberta Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-3
My 2016 PK 1000-3 has had the steering light come on and then doesn't work untill I shut off the machine. Once restart is works fine. Mind you mine only does it when I have the tracks on and in deep snow turning sharply. So the steering oveload cuts out the steering. With a spinner driving in the sand I suspect your over working the electric steering.
Now to do with your shifting issue you can try this. , and it won't cost you anything. Pull your shift motor off .Take it apart and clean off the armature . it's probably going to look black . Clean it up and try it out. Easy way to put it back together is to place the brushes and black plastic brush holder over the armature ,hold onto the armature keeping the brush holder tight as you install it into the housing. The magnetic pull of the housing will want pull the armature in so holding the brushes and holder is what you do in order put it back together.
This is what I would do and if you find that this corrects your shifting issue you can always buy a new shift motor and keep your old one for a spare in case the new one should ever act up again. I carry my old cleaned up one with me just in case the new one ever acts up on the trail. There easy enough to change.
Thanks for your input. Yes I think you are right on the steering over heat/load issue.
The PCM is what was causing the default to low gear when codes set. I had no codes related to the shift motor but will definitely keep your recommendation in mind. Thanks. Wishing I had a scanner so I could see when the codes where set.

Reactions: slowdryrider
NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Got it figured Jeremie. Didnt seem like enough time between the codes to write the numbers down and not miss the start of the next code. I used an audio recording and called out the numbers. After a few attempts got all the codes. :) Thanks for your input. I did record it also so that I could control the speed of veiwing.
Hopefully it rewards you with many trouble free miles.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!