P700 I need some info...

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My intent isn't to open a can of worms or to beat a dead horse.
I am strongly considering a step up to a 700 from my 500. The main reason is for a smoother ride and roomier cabin.
Can anyone who has experience driving both models attest to the 700 riding smoother? I am not a fan of the terrible rebound on the 500.
In reference to my opening statement, can anyone confirm the 700 has the power to climb steep powerline trails?
If you stop does it have the power to start again?
I am asking due to the barrage of differing opinions with some saying it has no power and others saying it has more than plenty.
I don't want to rooster tail up hills. I simply want to be able to crawl up them and have the power to stop and start again.
Any input would be invaluable for my potentially large financial investment.
Thanks!

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The only place you could have a real world power issue is at higher elevations.like 6000' and up. There's been some discussion that the 15 and up are better. They ride good. However I upgraded the shocks because I ride Alot at 30-40. I was at windrock mountain a couple weeks back and had no issues crawling up some pretty insane stuff. Hope this helps. I would bet it rides Alot better than the 500, because of travel #s and wheel base.

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The only place you could have a real world power issue is at higher elevations.like 6000' and up. There's been some discussion that the 15 and up are better. They ride good. However I upgraded the shocks because I ride Alot at 30-40. I was at windrock mountain a couple weeks back and had no issues crawling up some pretty insane stuff. Hope this helps. I would bet it rides Alot better than the 500, because of travel #s and wheel base.

Thanks for the response. Very well stated. I ride in Alabama so elevation will not be a factor.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for the response. Very well stated. I ride in Alabama so elevation will not be a factor.
I love my 700-4. Its been fantastic. I ride with all sorts of atv/sxs, number one thing is there's very little heat, guys I rode with have a miserable time in their cats/commanders/popos. The heat bakes them out. Not the 700. Also it's Alot quieter, I cruise and enjoy my trip.

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
If you're not in high altitude, I wouldn't even worry about power one bit. I've never been in a 500 so I can't really say for the ride quality but something to remember is there is a lot more aftermarket support for the 700- suspension, motor, etc.

TimmyBoy84

TimmyBoy84

Aug 5, 2015
Southern California
I took my 700 out to a trail with all types of terrain, took one steep rock crawling hill no problem with 4 people in it and a mutt lol and even had to stop halfway up cuz my father in law flipped his quad and still had plenty of power from a dead stop to trek back up. I upgraded my shocks because I had a problem keeping up with friends in their rhinos and was bottoming out on whoops and not necessarily a power issue.

Reactions: Tflynn
scott

scott

Lifetime Member
May 16, 2014
lyman, South Carolina
heres a good video showing 700 vs 500 Suspension was at windrock. With the 700 you could even add fox shocks.

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I appreciate all of your valued feedback.

jawquin

jawquin

Oct 24, 2015
Indiana
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Talon R
I appreciate all of your valued feedback.

Hi. I have a 700-4 and 500. They are very different machines. I can't say a lot about the 500 because I haven't had it long and only have 95 miles on it and it's great in the woods and trail. The ride is smoother on the 700 and it's much roomier and the front shocks are a bit soft. The 500 is much peppier but I've never had a problem in the 700 with power. I have had in under a load a few times and it's pretty good and has plenty of torque when I've hooked it to some loads with a log chain, some big loads. I haven't done much hill climbing but it has been A-1 and trouble free in performance for what it is and over 3600 miles of fun. Nothing better than hearing the grand kids and nieces and nephews say "Honda Ride" We pile in and go and make memories.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!