BOX1

I present the OffRoad Only dual rate sway bar - discuss

F

Fyathyrio

Sep 24, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
This was kind of tangential to the Shock Therapy thread, but is likely important enough to deserve it's own discussion. The ORO dual rate sway bar . . .

One alternative to completely disconnecting the sway bar is the OffRoad Only dual rate sway bar. $1000 clams is a large investment, but I do know from experience with my Jeep Wrangler that this is a great upgrade. The ability to soften the connection between the shocks on rougher trails to allow more articulation, then stiffen it back up with the flip of a switch for high speed street driving or whatever is nice.

IMG 7178 SwayLOC Talon 1800x1800 1

I have no affiliation with this company other than using their stuff on my Jeep for the past 15 years or so. I have found them to have good support, solid engineering, and great product quality on the stuff I got (and still have on my Jeep) years ago. I haven't found a review of this online yet to see if they are still making good stuff, but they are still in a business that relies on discretionary income post housing crash & recession and current virus crap.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I think this is a great idea for a jeep or other vehicle where it is near impossible to get out and disconnect the sway bar manually. My opinion, it is overkill for the Talon. It is so easy and much cheaper to do a manual release sway bar on the Talon. It also looks like a rattle trap to me and all I need is another rattle to chase.

Choices are...
Manual disconnect less that 30 seconds (that includes buckling back in) about $200 (even cheaper if you can build it yourself).
Flip a switch from the driver seat $1000

Reactions: GrnP500
MFG

MFG

Mar 14, 2019
East Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
I used these with great success on my jeep back in the day. It should also work well on the Talon. Someone in California needs to run their machine by Currie and let them do some measuring for these machines.

Reactions: Montecresto
F

Fyathyrio

Sep 24, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I think this is a great idea for a jeep or other vehicle where it is near impossible to get out and disconnect the sway bar manually. My opinion, it is overkill for the Talon. It is so easy and much cheaper to do a manual release sway bar on the Talon. It also looks like a rattle trap to me and all I need is another rattle to chase.

Choices are...
Manual disconnect less that 30 seconds (that includes buckling back in) about $200 (even cheaper if you can build it yourself).
Flip a switch from the driver seat $1000
Getting out of a Jeep to disconnect the sway bar is pretty much exactly the same as getting out of the Talon to disconnect the sway bar. Why would you say it is near impossible? There are no rattles on my Jeep version, I see no reason to expect any here.

Your choice analysis neglects some facts, such as a fully disconnected sway bar can allow unsafe levels of body roll and weight shift in off camber, high speed, or street driving. There may be others that are more concerned with the potential safety aspects of a fully disco'd sway bar then they are with saving money.

Reactions: DRKnight
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Don't the Jeep guys have a dash controlled connect/disconnect sway bar link (not 2 stage)?. That would be my preference, I've had my Talon SB disconnected for weeks and haven't felt the need to reconnect it but I know 'this guy' :oops: in Arizona that'll have me upping my pace when I visit. I like the 'flip a switch' concept for its coolness but the $800 difference is a tough pill to swallow. :eek:

When I get the Talon resprung and revalved, it'll be much(?) softer and I may change my mind about the 2 stage concept. 🤔

Reactions: Lil_Steve
F

Fyathyrio

Sep 24, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Don't the Jeep guys have a dash controlled connect/disconnect sway bar link (not 2 stage)?. That would be my preference, I've had my Talon SB disconnected for weeks and haven't felt the need to reconnect it but I know 'this guy' :oops: in Arizona that'll have me upping my pace when I visit. I like the 'flip a switch' concept for its coolness but the $800 difference is a tough pill to swallow. :eek:

When I get the Talon resprung and revalved, it'll be much(?) softer and I may change my mind about the 2 stage concept. 🤔
There are all kinds for Jeeps, ranging from hitch pins sourced at the local farm store to the design from ORO discussed here. Most fully disconnect the swaybar, some allow for selecting a different rate at install but are still on/off, and ORO is the only one with the dual rate option that I'm aware of.

Reactions: CID
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Here ya go..... JKS JKS2034 (07-18 Jeep Wrangler JK)

$166 and they are fully adjustable. Might have to open up the sway bar and trailing arm holes to install. Easy peasy and not a $1000 waste of money.

For those whining about "unsafe" handling with the bar fully disconnected..... My wife is able to drive our JKUR on 40's to and from trails with the sway bars disconnected without a problem when that need arises. Shoud I have her join up here and explain to you non driving mo-fo's how its done? 🤣

TerryH

TerryH

Supporting Member
Sep 13, 2019
Springdale, Ar
Ownership

1. Talon X
I tossed the sway bar a couple months ago on our X with Bandit full spring kit. Works SO much better for us and where/how we ride. Trails are mostly tight and rough here with a few places to open it up a bit. I don't plan to ever put it back on.

Reactions: TripleB and CID
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!