Imogene Pass & Yankee Boy Basin

Durangotang

Durangotang

Feb 24, 2018
Just outside Durango, CO
Summer rains have started here in SW Colorado. But the weather was looking pretty good yesterday so I decided to check out Imogene pass and Yankee Boy Basin. This has been an odd year as we had so much snow last winter and such a late spring that summer has been pushed back. The mountains and streams look more like early than late summer.

Parked and unloaded at the switch-back curve just south of Ouray. Got there about 8:30 and the parking lot was just starting to fill. Ouray doesn't allow ATV/UTVs to be ridden in town so you've got to launch from here or along county road 361.

Here's a shot heading up 361 heading towards the turn off for Imogene.
DSC 0002

As I said there's still plenty of water pouring off the mountains.

DSC 0018
DSC 0027

Now above the tree line heading towards Imogene Pass summit.
DSC 0037

At the top! 13,114 feet up and both the P500 and I were feeling the altitude. This is looking down toward Telluride and you can see the airport in the center of the frame.

DSC 0043

Looking down into the Savage Basin you can see remnants of an aerial tramway. Just beyond were some lovely lakes and some brown shapes. Decided to drive down and investigate more.

DSC 0059

The still standing towers.

DSC 0069

And those brown shapes turned out to be a small herd of elk.

DSC 0096

The only resident of these mine ruins was a marmot, also know as a whistle pig.

DSC 0107

You can continue down to the old Tomboy mine site but past that it's a narrow shelf road leading to Telluride. Since Telluride doesn't allow ATV/UTVs in town Tomboy is a good place to turn around and head back.

A small side trail on the north side of Imogene leads to a great view back west towards Red Mountain 1 & 2. Beyond is more of the San Juans and the Weminuche wilderness.

DSC 0136

One of the roads back down leads past the remains of Camp Bird mine.

DSC 0156

Back on CR 361 toward Yankee Boy Basin.

DSC 0162

Normally peak wildflower season is mid July but it appears it's been pushed back to early Aug.

DSC 0164

The road to the top of Yankee Boy Basin was blocked by snow about 1/4 mile before the trail head parking area. All in all, a very good day!

DSC 0174

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Awesome pictures, thanks for sharing!

We have a group ride at Taylor Park Colorado exactly 1 month from now, can wait.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Summer rains have started here in SW Colorado. But the weather was looking pretty good yesterday so I decided to check out Imogene pass and Yankee Boy Basin. This has been an odd year as we had so much snow last winter and such a late spring that summer has been pushed back. The mountains and streams look more like early than late summer.

Parked and unloaded at the switch-back curve just south of Ouray. Got there about 8:30 and the parking lot was just starting to fill. Ouray doesn't allow ATV/UTVs to be ridden in town so you've got to launch from here or along county road 361.

View attachment 145382

View attachment 145383 View attachment 145384

View attachment 145385

At the top! 13,114 feet up and both the P500 and I were feeling the altitude. This is looking down toward Telluride and you can see the airport in the center of the frame.

View attachment 145386

Looking down into the Savage Basin you can see remnants of an aerial tramway. Just beyond were some lovely lakes and some brown shapes. Decided to drive down and investigate more.

View attachment 145387

View attachment 145388

View attachment 145389

View attachment 145390

You can continue down to the old Tomboy mine site but past that it's a narrow shelf road leading to Telluride. Since Telluride doesn't allow ATV/UTVs in town Tomboy is a good place to turn around and head back.

A small side trail on the north side of Imogene leads to a great view back west towards Red Mountain 1 & 2. Beyond is more of the San Juans and the Weminuche wilderness.

View attachment 145391

View attachment 145392

View attachment 145393

Normally peak wildflower season is mid July but it appears it's been pushed back to early Aug.

View attachment 145394

The road to the top of Yankee Boy Basin was blocked by snow about 1/4 mile before the trail head parking area. All in all, a very good day!

View attachment 145395
Spectacular pics. Will you be at the group ride first week of September?

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just found a way to kill some time before the sept Colorado trip! Thanks!

Durangotang

Durangotang

Feb 24, 2018
Just outside Durango, CO
Spectacular pics. Will you be at the group ride first week of September?

I plan on being in on the Taylor Park meet-up. I'd also like to ride with the small group doing the Alpine Loop a few days before. Although my wife can't get time off to camp in Lake City I can join in at least part of the way by coming up from Silverton.

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I plan on being in on the Taylor Park meet-up. I'd also like to ride with the small group doing the Alpine Loop a few days before. Although my wife can't get time off to camp in Lake City I can join in at least part of the way by coming up from Silverton.

This will be great to meetup on the trail.

wrwtexan

wrwtexan

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2016
Northeast Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Anyone going to be in the Alpine Loop area the week of 8/26-30? Family and I will be riding out of Lake City this year.

Durangotang; beautiful pics of Yankee and Imogene!! We were there last year and I gave the wife executive discretion on Imogene as it was slick from rain and she got nervous and made me turn around at the Richmond turn. Hope to try it in '20 with friends. I've wanted to try Governor's Basin at upper end of Yankee but have twice lost my nerve and turned around. Anyone make that trek?

Reactions: Pilgrim and rtn001
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Anyone going to be in the Alpine Loop area the week of 8/26-30? Family and I will be riding out of Lake City this year.

Durangotang; beautiful pics of Yankee and Imogene!! We were there last year and I gave the wife executive discretion on Imogene as it was slick from rain and she got nervous and made me turn around at the Richmond turn. Hope to try it in '20 with friends. I've wanted to try Governor's Basin at upper end of Yankee but have twice lost my nerve and turned around. Anyone make that trek?
If you came a week later you’d have 40 or 50 of us to ride with. :cool:

gmacaluso

gmacaluso

Sep 16, 2018
Colorado
Ownership

1. 500
Barry,

Any significant water crossing on Imogene when you went through. If so, P500 possible?

gmacaluso

gmacaluso

Sep 16, 2018
Colorado
Ownership

1. 500
P500 Top of Yankee Boy 080819 Barry (Durangotang) is obviously the man but pleased to report the stock Lil' Red (left) made it to 13,100 within a walk to the summit of Yankee Boy and fair share of Governors Basin yesterday. Got a lesson in tire placement and line picking to be sure but the torque on the P500 was never in doubt. Took it all on with much bigger boys around including caravans of Rubicon's, Forerunners, RZRs with HUGE tires and and much beef-ier suspentions. Stock tires held tough on all terrain. I'll assemble a trip log to compliment Barry's awesome summary in the coming days.

Imogene (Ouray toward Telluride) - Tried about a mile or so Barry but doubled back when I got to the waterfall you pictured (Pic 3 - water making the trail a river)... just not enough experience to feel confident. Would have loved to have your lead.

Jones Mountain and above Ptarmagin Lake (Buena Vista, CO) on Tuesday probably a shade short of 13k - full sun ... beautiful above treelline, a great challenge up.

Tried Paradise Divide (Crested Butte) to get to Scholfield Wednesday but east branch is still blocked from an avalanche others have seen (8/7/19). Probably wishful thinking about Punchbowl anyhow but had to try to get a peek before waving the white flag.

Short answer, P500 ... more than I thought it/I could do. :) WRW, to your question on Imogene above ... I think Durango has serious steel ones.

A few others to get started: GMac

From Under Drinking Cup

20190808 125802 resized
From Summit Yankee Boy
20190808 112324 resized
Some of the splendor
20190808 112347 resized

Last edited:
tincangob

tincangob

Nov 30, 2017
Central Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3

View attachment 145382

View attachment 145383 View attachment 145384

View attachment 145385

View attachment 145386

View attachment 145387

View attachment 145388

View attachment 145389

View attachment 145390

View attachment 145391

View attachment 145392

View attachment 145393

View attachment 145394

View attachment 145395
Nearly unbelievable. Fantastic! You sure know how to make a guy in Wisconsin jealous. Thanks for taking the time to take and post the pictures. How will I ever be happy riding on our flat trails around here. Giving Wisconsin credit, they have made a big effort to provide a lot of trails, and I don't want to belittle the tremendous effort a lot of people have made. However, you are riding in a different and beautiful world.

Reactions: stellarpod

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!