P1000 interference of roller fairlead for denali pro 72"

brettc

brettc

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2020
Little Rock, AR & Crawford, CO
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I bought a late season plow, and installing the roller fairlead option - trying it out before next season. I have the Viper V2 widespool 6000, mounted with the motor on the passenger side, so the line is rolling off the bottom side of the spool. I'm wondering if anyone has noticed the line interference on the fairlead bracket? Looks like I need to simply hit it with the grinder for a bit.

IMG 6028

The roller is in the upper holes.

Also, I'm thinking this line cover/protector needs to come off, right? I just don't think its gonna work well in the pulleys.
IMG 6029

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I always use non roller fairlead for synthetic rope. Rollers bind and cut the rope.

brettc

brettc

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Humm.. well I have the aluminum one that came with the winch, looks just like that. When I ordered the plow I assumed that was what I should do. In fact, I removed it in order to put that roller fairlead on there. Thank you. Do you have any thoughts on that line cover/proector thats on the synthetic line?

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I'd just try to straighten out your line on the spool to where it's more in the middle for plowing purposes. It's just going to be multiple short runs of the line and shouldn't wear too bad on that pulley. A strap is ideal but you're not set up for that. A roller fairlead is fine until you start doing side pulls on the trail, then it can get pinched in the rollers. Yes, I'd take the wear sleeve off for plowing. In the summer I switch back to the rope and sleeve with the hawse fairlead.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
My plow line is about 10' of synthetic line (leftover from an older broken synthetic line). No need to spool 50' of line for the plow. Plus, you don't want to wear down the first 2' of a 50' line. Like @trigger said, swap out your "summer" winch line for a "winter/plow" solution.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Generally speaking, if it has rollers, it's typically referred to as a fairlead. If it's just a smooth aluminum piece that the line runs through, it's usually referred to as a hawse. Hawse is short for hawsepipe, which is the (metal) hole (or pipe) on a ship where the anchor line/ rode goes through.

brettc

brettc

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Ok, so its all starting to come together for me.... sorry it takes a while sometimes! A short section of line came with the fairlead, sounds like I should remove my long winch line and put this short section on for plowing season, with the roller fairlead. Summertime, Hawse and long line....

@trigger - above you said "A strap is ideal but you're not set up for that." Would that be essentially taking off the long synthetic line, installing a short lenth of strap, using hawse fairlead, etc?

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Ok, so its all starting to come together for me.... sorry it takes a while sometimes! A short section of line came with the fairlead, sounds like I should remove my long winch line and put this short section on for plowing season, with the roller fairlead. Summertime, Hawse and long line....

@trigger - above you said "A strap is ideal but you're not set up for that." Would that be essentially taking off the long synthetic line, installing a short lenth of strap, using hawse fairlead, etc?
Exactly except for the hawse. I use the roller fairlead and a plow strap I got from KFI. I made the mistake of using my winch rope and a hawse and ended up breaking it after a couple yrs of use. Not a big deal, tied a knot and kept plowing but the strap is the way to go IMO.
On a side note, if you're plowing on concrete or asphalt, adding a piece of conveyor belt to the cutting edge helps alot with not tearing up the pavement. Got that idea from @Scoop and it worked really well.

Reactions: Smitty335 and Scoop
brettc

brettc

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-3
@trigger So you use a flat strap... is your roller fairlead like wide rolling cylinders or a pulley type fairlead like in my picture at the top? I'm thinking with mine I must use that short section of rope that came with it....

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Here's a typical setup for using a strap, although there are other ways to do it. I will eventually switch to a strap setup, but I think I still have ~35 ft of a 50 ft synthetic plow rope that I keep cutting and retying after it breaks! 😆

Screenshot 20230410 095544 DuckDuckGo

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I have the same plow kit on my 2018 P1k5. I don’t use the pulley wheel and the short whip line that comes with the kit, but do use everything thing else (snatch hook pulley and bumper strap).

I don’t use the hawse mount pulley and short whip line as I want to be able to unhook the plow and use the winch as normal.

Just use an aluminum or roller box on the bumper and you’ll be fine.

Last edited:
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
@trigger So you use a flat strap... is your roller fairlead like wide rolling cylinders or a pulley type fairlead like in my picture at the top? I'm thinking with mine I must use that short section of rope that came with it....
Yeah, wide rollers and flat strap. No pulley. My KFI winch came with the roller fairlead. I switch it out to the hawse for trail winching.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!