Is buying the Honda winch mount and winch worth the money?

L

LAairhunter

Dec 21, 2013
Need advice about Pioneer winch

Dear Gang,

My Pioneer just arrived at the dealership (I had ordered it a few months ago), and they're about to install a hardtop, windshield and a winch. With regard to the winch, I need some advice, and I was hoping that some of y'all might be able to impart some knowledge.

Here are my winch questions:

-I want to make sure that I get the new Honda winch that is specifically designed for the Pioneer; is there a particular model # that I should ask for?

-Any advice about the mounting bracket (other than using the official Honda mounting bracket)?

-Is there a set place on the inside of the Pioneer where the winch remote installs?

-I would like to get a synthetic winch cable, but I don't know where to look for this. Does Honda have this as an option? If not, do any of you have advice about where to purchase synthetic cable?

TIA,
Mark

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Re: Need advice about Pioneer winch

Hello LAairhunter and welcome.
We have been collecting lots of info on the Pioneer and have experience with all your questions.

-I want to make sure that I get the new Honda winch that is specifically designed for the Pioneer; is there a particular model # that I should ask for?
Make sure you order this honda part #08L74-HL3-A02. It requires the Winch Mount Bracket 08L77-HL3-A00 to have the "official" Honda wires and switches. But if you do not plan to use the Honda mounting brackets you may benefit from looking at other winch brands.

-Any advice about the mounting bracket (other than using the official Honda mounting bracket)?
- KFI, Part # 101150
- Eagle plows, Part # 1838
- Super ATV
and a few others.

-Is there a set place on the inside of the Pioneer where the winch remote installs?
If you are not buying the Honda Winch Mount then NO.
You may want to look over the instructions for the Honda mount kit for there recommended location gallery/album.php?album_id=41

-I would like to get a synthetic winch cable, but I don't know where to look for this. Does Honda have this as an option? If not, do any of you have advice about where to purchase synthetic cable?
I really like this rope kit. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amsteel-Blue-Bl ... f2&vxp=mtr

Cant wait to here about your experiences with the Pioneer.
C-ya on the trail.

B

binfordw

Oct 15, 2013

My local Rural King carries a KFI brand 50ft rope. I used the steel once, damaged it, and switched to synthetic.

The Honda Warn winch is pricey- too much imo.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I got the KFI SE45 Stealth with Synth cable and Mount for @370 installed it myself in about 45mins and that included taking the front bumper off and putting it back on.

There is a thread discussing it here....kfi-products-f65/kfi-se45-stealth-t674.html

I would recommend a snatch block as a shorter pull you won't have the full 4500lb rating.

bigc

bigc

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 16, 2013

the honda winch is a warn 4.0 rt series with a steel cable i wouldnt buy it i would get a viper-superwinch with a amsteel cable already on it if you are looking for just a cable a good friend of mine is one of the largest amsteel dealers in the country his name is todd his shop is custom splice he used to live here in oklahoma but moved to kansas he has the best prices on ropes there is

L

LAairhunter

Dec 21, 2013

Gentlemen,

Thank you so much for your detailed answers - I duly noted all the advice (even copied down item #s to order from Honda).

If I may hijack my own thread and ask another new Pioneer question:
- I am planning on getting the two piece windshield and was wondering if there was a consensus on the "hard coat" vs. "optical grade" windshields?

TIA (again),
Mark

wyo700

wyo700

Lifetime Member
Sep 26, 2013

If you will ever be in any dusty conditions and will need to clean your windshield then get the hard coat. The optical will scratch.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R

two choices.
Buy the hard coat now or wish you had bought the hard coat later.
lol

C

Cornbread54

Sep 1, 2014
I'm in the process of purchasing or ordering a pioneer 700-2 this week and was wondering if buying the winch mount and plate from Honda is worth it or should I buy an aftermarket kit instead?

hurld

hurld

Lifetime Member
Feb 19, 2014
Re: Is buying the Honda winch mount and winch worth the mone

After market is what I did, better product & cheaper IMHO. Check out the KFI winch mount, and the Superwinch Terra 45 synthetic rope winch.

Reactions: Boney21
advertisement
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I went with KFI Mount and KFI SE45 Stealth, works great pulled me out of a couple of spots and got my tractor unstuck a couple of times too.

bigc

bigc

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 16, 2013

no experience with the kfi winch but the superwinch terra is a good one also viper ramsey and warn make good top notch winches on the winch mount i would go with this mount http://www.superatv.com/Honda-Pioneer-W ... C1165.aspx

C

Cornbread54

Sep 1, 2014

Thanks for the help y'all but honestly moneys is tight buying this P2 so I'll just have to check the cost. But at least I have more options now.

B

bl7004

Aug 19, 2014
winch help

Hi new here had my camo 700-4 about a month added hard top windshield mirrors turn signal and horn kit as well as some diy storage under hood. My ? Is I'm looking at a venom 4500 and a KFI stealth 3500 I like the KFI but not sure 3500 is enough and 4500 KFI is quite a bit more. Which is better and is synthetic rope the way to go? Thanks

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Re: winch help

Welcome, to the forum!
Sounds like you've got a good start to getting it setup like you need it.

I have the SE45 when it's stuck and it's a short pull you don't have the full 1st layer pulling power.

Look at the pull strength on the individual layers.

My motto is
"It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it."

Yes to synth rope.

Merged the threads, this should help answer some questions for you.

wyo700

wyo700

Lifetime Member
Sep 26, 2013

I have a 3500 pound Superwinch with syn rope and unfortunately I did not make it up a really steep hill and had to winch myself to the top and my winch had no problems getting me up. I found an absolute great deal on amazon for it also.

Reactions: Boney21
B

bl7004

Aug 19, 2014

Are the venom winches as good as KFI and what is the best mounts ever one is getting the KFI and emp mount look the same to me. Thanks for replys

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!