Jackson Turbo with aftermarket exhaust

H

HondaTech

And I will be getting new pistons under warranty so I’ll run stock with confidence until it’s time to cross that bridge.#MAKINGHONDASGREATAGAIN

I wouldn't go through all that hassle to just put stock pistons back in tbh.

Also, so you know The Jackson Warranty is only 12 months i believe. Ive never had to do a warranty claim involving a Turbo, but from what we've gathered Honda is hands off when it comes to any engine problems, unless they can be traced to an engine part failure not caused by the JR turbo kit.

Ours let loose after the 12 hr race at TexPlex. Which is 100% why ours let loose, we also lost sub trans. But there have also been guys not as hard on it as us have similar failures.

Reactions: Wood5791
Wood5791

Wood5791

Jan 3, 2022
Santee, CA
Ownership

1. Talon X4 LV
I wouldn't go through all that hassle to just put stock pistons back in tbh.

Ours let loose after the 12 hr race at TexPlex. Which is 100% why ours let loose, we also lost sub trans. But there have also been guys not as hard on it as us have similar failures.
Why is it that nobody…including Jackson recommending that piston upgrade then? Seems silly that warranty could care less about handing out free pistons at will. Just doesn’t make sense. Also I’ve seen a few 7k and 10k mile testimonials on Jackson turbo with no issues on the pistons. I need more proof than your set up in a race to upgrade pistons on a machine that just had 100 mile service done. But I do appreciate you looking out for other guys running the turbo, its just that I have more faith in the factory warranty than 1 or 2 testimonials.

H

HondaTech

Why is it that nobody…including Jackson recommending that piston upgrade then? Seems silly that warranty could care less about handing out free pistons at will. Just doesn’t make sense. Also I’ve seen a few 7k and 10k mile testimonials on Jackson turbo with no issues on the pistons. I need more proof than your set up in a race to upgrade pistons on a machine that just had 100 mile service done. But I do appreciate you looking out for other guys running the turbo, its just that I have more faith in the factory warranty than 1 or 2 testimonials.

Just saying its happened to several others as well.

Ours cracked both pistons with the stock JR setup, nothing changed.

But again, i will add it was after a a 12 hour straight race, only stopping for fuel and driver changes. So our case is different.

I believe on a stock JR turbo machine that doesnt get its guts blown out will most likely be fine.

We've also had issues with the turbo mounts and prop rod mounts coming loose. Even with the new norlock washers it still loosesn up after a race. We broke the engine mount that the turbo prop rod mounts to. They've since made the lower prop rod mount with 2 bolts to alleviate the issue.

They have you drill holes in the bottom of the air filter box to drain water out, which was never in the original kit instructions.

Once you flash the JR program the Honda Diagnostic equipment can no longer read the pcm to help diagnosed isssues. The JR tool can read codes, but not any usefull PCM information.

Its a great kit, but looking back after living with it for 3 years now, its far from perfect and needs attention to (in our experience) to keep it together.

Reactions: Wood5791 and CID
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
@GBell on here took his new X4 with the Jackson kit to the dunes and ended up with cracked piston skirts in like 5hrs run time. There is a thread about it somewhere around here...

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Honda needs to build the Talon with forged pistons if they're going to 'sanction' the Jackson turbo, similar to Yamaha building the YXZ with rods suitable for boost (after many blown up engines) even though only a small percentage will ever see a turbo .

Reactions: SLOWPOKE693
Wood5791

Wood5791

Jan 3, 2022
Santee, CA
Ownership

1. Talon X4 LV
Just saying its happened to several others as well.

Ours cracked both pistons with the stock JR setup, nothing changed.

But again, i will add it was after a a 12 hour straight race, only stopping for fuel and driver changes. So our case is different.

I believe on a stock JR turbo machine that doesnt get its guts blown out will most likely be fine.

We've also had issues with the turbo mounts and prop rod mounts coming loose. Even with the new norlock washers it still loosesn up after a race. We broke the engine mount that the turbo prop rod mounts to. They've since made the lower prop rod mount with 2 bolts to alleviate the issue.

They have you drill holes in the bottom of the air filter box to drain water out, which was never in the original kit instructions.

Once you flash the JR program the Honda Diagnostic equipment can no longer read the pcm to help diagnosed isssues. The JR tool can read codes, but not any usefull PCM information.

Its a great kit, but looking back after living with it for 3 years now, its far from perfect and needs attention to (in our experience) to keep it together.
I mean this with all sincerity…I appreciate you telling me your story as the info you gave me will definitely be taken into consideration. Truthfully I’d like to break the stock stuff so I kinda get an idea of the road I want to go down next. Just wish there were other guys pushing kits out to compare to. All we got is Jackson for now but I know it won’t last. Good luck in future races and hope see you out there someday. Thanks again

Reactions: Montecresto and CID
H

HondaTech

I mean this with all sincerity…I appreciate you telling me your story as the info you gave me will definitely be taken into consideration. Truthfully I’d like to break the stock stuff so I kinda get an idea of the road I want to go down next. Just wish there were other guys pushing kits out to compare to. All we got is Jackson for now but I know it won’t last. Good luck in future races and hope see you out there someday. Thanks again

Im only here to provide information and help others, I'd love to get to ride with you guys sometime. Ive never seen (in person) a 4 seater with the JR kit installed but ive there a hoot.

Id like to take a 4 seater and do what we've done to our race car. Its insane what these things feel like with close to 200 crank HP.

Wood5791

Wood5791

Jan 3, 2022
Santee, CA
Ownership

1. Talon X4 LV
Im only here to provide information and help others, I'd love to get to ride with you guys sometime. Ive never seen (in person) a 4 seater with the JR kit installed but ive there a hoot.

Id like to take a 4 seater and do what we've done to our race car. Its insane what these things feel like with close to 200 crank HP.
Ok quick update….just got Talon back from the shop and man did that JRT wake this car up. Yes this exactly what it needed. Hopefully the pistons hold up for awhile🤣

H

HondaTech

Ok quick update….just got Talon back from the shop and man did that JRT wake this car up. Yes this exactly what it needed. Hopefully the pistons hold up for awhile🤣

You have a LV right?

Try Launch Mode🔥🔥

Reactions: Wood5791
K

KenThompson

Aug 25, 2019
Mulino
Ownership

1. Talon X
I went with Wiseco 9:1 forged pistons. I’ve had great luck with them in all of my other machines in the past. Wasn’t sold on all of the others with their coatings, etc., and the added cost. I have a slip on exhaust I will be installing once Eric at PPEI gets a safe and reliable tune for my Talon. Eric is very smart and is constantly testing on the dyno. I think he is very close at this point. I think it will require bigger injectors than the Jackson kit supplies, and a bigger fuel pump as well. A lot of people can build a tune that will take you to the moon, but I want something with more power, and safe to use if your smart. It’s kinda like the 200 hp rubber band machine owners that keep blowing belts. They don’t know how to use the power. If you want a reliable tune, contact Eric at PPEI.com and tell him Ken Thompson told you about him.

Jmaxx1502

Jmaxx1502

Feb 7, 2021
Cocoa beach
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Can’t believe Honda backs this with there factory warranty and there is piston issues. Confusing. I am 50/50 on getting a kit. Anybody have any experience with the Hess N/A kit? Says it’s like 25-30hp. Better alternative? On the 32’s and have a lot of accessories and cannot pull 6th gear to red line.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!