Jackson Turbo with aftermarket exhaust

Jmaxx1502

Jmaxx1502

Feb 7, 2021
Cocoa beach
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Anybody know If there is a race tune that will allow you to run with aftermarket exhaust? Think 60% increase is just fine for play riding just want to ditch that ugly muffler.thx

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
PPEI is going to be releasing Talon tunes for turbo equipped engines sometime this month. Keep an eye on their FB page for more details...

Like @HondaTech said, aftermarket forged pistons are a must even with the stock Jackson kit.

Reactions: ChadD
Jmaxx1502

Jmaxx1502

Feb 7, 2021
Cocoa beach
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Oh ok so the stock pistons are suspect even at low boost levels? Thought the stock tune was safe?

Jmaxx1502

Jmaxx1502

Feb 7, 2021
Cocoa beach
Ownership

1. Talon X4
So you had a long heat soak going on in race conditions. You think for trail and street legal use it would be ok? I’m on 32’s and a bit on the heavy side.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
There are guys out there tuning them for more power with a PV3. But i wouldn't do it without different pistons.
Is that recommended with turbo also?

sspeederr

sspeederr

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 10, 2020
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
With what we've seen on ours, i wouldn't build a turbo car for myself without replacing the pistons.
what company did you all go back with on forged pistons

H

HondaTech

what company did you all go back with on forged pistons

We orignally got some pistons through Hess, which we later found our weren't meant for boosted applications and probably led to the head gasket blowing.

We got ahold of CP ourselves and got pistons directly from them.

Reactions: ChadD and sspeederr
sspeederr

sspeederr

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 10, 2020
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
We orignally got some pistons through Hess, which we later found our weren't meant for boosted applications and probably led to the head gasket blowing.

We got ahold of CP ourselves and got pistons directly from them.
When ever my new machine gets here I have a turbo kit waiting I guess Tuesday I will be on phone and try to aquire a set. Do you have any reliable boost number to run prior to head lifting?

Jmaxx1502

Jmaxx1502

Feb 7, 2021
Cocoa beach
Ownership

1. Talon X4
So what’s it cost labor and parts wise to put in pistons for this turbo application?

H

HondaTech

When ever my new machine gets here I have a turbo kit waiting I guess Tuesday I will be on phone and try to aquire a set. Do you have any reliable boost number to run prior to head lifting?

If you dont plan on tuning it beyond the stock Jackson tune then youll never have any issues with their boost levels.

Our setup has a different wastegate actuator rod, return fuel system with rail and injectors, a different map sensor (to read true boost for fueling) and a PV3 with tunes from PPEI.

Reactions: sspeederr and ChadD
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
The cylinder needs clearance to achieve correct piston to wall clearance, so quite a bit.
This is true.

Off the shelf CP pistons have a .003 piston to wall clearance spec stock and they are machined to be that tolerance vs the factory Talon bore of 92mm. Unfortunately CP miscalculated how much their pistons would expand with heat, and when the engine is hot the pistons scuff the cylinder bores. In extreme cases I've heard of engines locking up when hot and being perfectly fine once they have cooled down again. Rinse and repeat.....

• Haha
Reactions: sspeederr
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
@sspeederr care to add something to this discussion?

sspeederr

sspeederr

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 10, 2020
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
@sspeederr care to add something to this discussion?
Not a turbo guy yet, I'm just taking pointers, between your self and @HondaTech have explained what knowledge I have on these setups to point thanks for the info

Reactions: Wood5791 and CID
Wood5791

Wood5791

Jan 3, 2022
Santee, CA
Ownership

1. Talon X4 LV
Turbo being installed as we speak….running 32”s and I know Jackson has a tune for the tire size. From everything I read the turbo kit is designed to run on the factory motor and exhaust with zero issues. However my knowledge on all of this is severely limited, I only did the research that was available. My biggest reason for getting the Turbo was the lack of power when pulling the dune hills in Glamis and Gordon’s Well. These are massive sand playgrounds with steep and long climbs and it’s embarrassing not be able to get up some of these. In the bowls I was able to keep up with Can arms and Razrs no problem as long as my foot was heavy and was all the fun you need. On hard pack and tight trails this car performs beautifully even in some of the bigger whoop sections and have beat the hell out of this machine. Can’t wait for turbo power!!!!

Reactions: Montecresto
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Turbo being installed as we speak….running 32”s and I know Jackson has a tune for the tire size. From everything I read the turbo kit is designed to run on the factory motor and exhaust with zero issues. However my knowledge on all of this is severely limited, I only did the research that was available. My biggest reason for getting the Turbo was the lack of power when pulling the dune hills in Glamis and Gordon’s Well. These are massive sand playgrounds with steep and long climbs and it’s embarrassing not be able to get up some of these. In the bowls I was able to keep up with Can arms and Razrs no problem as long as my foot was heavy and was all the fun you need. On hard pack and tight trails this car performs beautifully even in some of the bigger whoop sections and have beat the hell out of this machine. Can’t wait for turbo power!!!!
You changing the pistons at the same time? If your not, you will be in short order....

Wood5791

Wood5791

Jan 3, 2022
Santee, CA
Ownership

1. Talon X4 LV
You changing the pistons at the same time? If your not, you will be in short order....
And I will be getting new pistons under warranty so I’ll run stock with confidence until it’s time to cross that bridge.#MAKINGHONDASGREATAGAIN

• Haha
Reactions: Montecresto

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!