P1000m5 Just a heads up for people with dual battery setup!

SickSecBeamer

SickSecBeamer

Oct 13, 2017
Jax,Fl
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok so I found out a stupid issue.

I have a dual battery setup with a 200amp relay that uses ignition to turn on power to my blueseas fuse block I used the AAC power as the ignition source coming from the cigarette lighter plug.

With me so far??

Well I decided I wanted to be able to use some accessories with the key off (mainly my rock lights and possibly radio) and not have to have the bike running, so I hooked up a switch and tapped it into the 200amp relay so I can flip the relay independently of the key if I wanted....smart idea I thought!

Well that acc wire also powers up the SxS cluster headlights and everything else as if the key was on....since it backfeeding into the Factory ACC wire. I thought that was kinda a stupid design to have it using the same ignition source to power the whole bike...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I hooked up what’s called a dpst (double pole single throw relay) which has two inputs and one output. Acc wire to one in and a separate aux switch to the other side. Then any time key is on you have accessories or if it’s off you can flip your switch. Always protects start battery and it’s seamless so you don’t need to always flip your aux (all on I call it) switch.

SickSecBeamer

SickSecBeamer

Oct 13, 2017
Jax,Fl
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yea I used the second batter as my source for the switch but I just couldn’t believe all that would turn on with it backfeeding into the Acc....I figured the cig lighter would power up and mayyybbeee something else little

K

kelley350x

Oct 1, 2016
Kirbyville, TX
www.facebook.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I hooked up what’s called a dpst (double pole single throw relay) which has two inputs and one output. Acc wire to one in and a separate aux switch to the other side. Then any time key is on you have accessories or if it’s off you can flip your switch. Always protects start battery and it’s seamless so you don’t need to always flip your aux (all on I call it) switch.

Would you be able to find a link for one like you used, I searched on google but there are more options that I could weed through..

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Would you be able to find a link for one like you used, I searched on google but there are more options that I could weed through..
Dpst has gotten harder to come by. Two singles could be used in its place. Would work the same way.

Reactions: BWAF
A

ATM0816

May 30, 2017
North carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have my batteries wired together and that’s it. I have had this set up for awhile now with no issues. This past Saturday I had my military retirement party and ran my Froghead industries four 8” Bazooka LED speaker set up with amp and all for prob 6 hours before firing it up once. Turned easy, When sun went down the whips were even on.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Ok so I found out a stupid issue.

I have a dual battery setup with a 200amp relay that uses ignition to turn on power to my blueseas fuse block I used the AAC power as the ignition source coming from the cigarette lighter plug.

With me so far??

Well I decided I wanted to be able to use some accessories with the key off (mainly my rock lights and possibly radio) and not have to have the bike running, so I hooked up a switch and tapped it into the 200amp relay so I can flip the relay independently of the key if I wanted....smart idea I thought!

Well that acc wire also powers up the SxS cluster headlights and everything else as if the key was on....since it backfeeding into the Factory ACC wire. I thought that was kinda a stupid design to have it using the same ignition source to power the whole bike...

Bad Idea to ever back feed into a factory harness. When someone leaves the switch on and turns the key you have 2 power sources running into each other and that's how wires melt and machines start on fire. I had the same dilemma and wanted to have my radio or lights on with the key off. I set up a switch for my solenoid and power coming from the battery. It's a one inch square and lights up red when it's on so hopefully I wont forget and leave it on. I could install a battery protector but haven't.

A switch like @CumminsPusher referenced is a good option as well. You'll still need to turn it off. I believe they can be had at otrattw.com. They have high quality switches there. Here is the one you're looking for.
OTRATTW :: Switch Body :: DPDT ON/OFF/ON

K

Kolton

Oct 15, 2016
Vance, al
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have my batteries wired together and that’s it. I have had this set up for awhile now with no issues. This past Saturday I had my military retirement party and ran my Froghead industries four 8” Bazooka LED speaker set up with amp and all for prob 6 hours before firing it up once. Turned easy, When sun went down the whips were even on.
So there only wires between the two batteries , nothing else?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: BWAF
advertisement
ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I have my audio system wired so that it will only turn on when the key is on, just like a car.

I am buying a rocker switch so that I can turn the radio on when the key is off, and run it off of the second battery (yet to be installed).

I am trying to figure out how to accomplish this...

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have my audio system wired so that it will only turn on when the key is on, just like a car.

I am buying a rocker switch so that I can turn the radio on when the key is off, and run it off of the second battery (yet to be installed).

I am trying to figure out how to accomplish this...
You just need a solenoid and an on/off/on rocker switch.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Redone

Redone

Nov 14, 2018
wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Why couldn’t you just wire the radio from the second battery directly the radio comes with its own inline fuse already. That’s what I have done. Now with key off and everything off if I want radio I just turn it on and I’m good.

Reactions: Dirtstiffs-1000
Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Why couldn’t you just wire the radio from the second battery directly the radio comes with its own inline fuse already. That’s what I have done. Now with key off and everything off if I want radio I just turn it on and I’m good.

That's my setup.
I have a separate switch panel wired to my second battery only. All my accessories are switched to the second battery. The True Isolator, when the vehicle is running switches to the second battery and charges it.
I also have trickle charges on both.
I run my stereo all day with other accessories and have no adverse effects on the OEM system.
JMO
Jim

Reactions: Redone
AZRocks

AZRocks

Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2019
Phoenix
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I prefer to have a master off switch for all the loads from the second battery. I have everything fused, but still like to turn power off for all the wires running through the rig. I used a diode between the "ignition on" accessory wire and the second battery relay to prevent power return to the accessory feed. Diodes allow current to travel in only one direction. I used a diode for me reverse lights relay, too.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CXOQMJ8/?tag=sxsweb24-20

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!