P1000 Just bought a 2016 P1000, first "mods"???

Tbowman053

Tbowman053

Dec 18, 2016
Henderson, MD
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Ok guys just sold my ATV that I used for hunting and farm work, and my golf cart I used to push my racecar around and picked up a 2016 Pioneer 1000. Ive only had it about 24 hours just drove it around the yard inbetween rain drops. So far thing is fun as hell. I put a roof on it, ordered a windshied, and ordered a winch and will be ordering a winch soon as well. Ive read a lot about extending the vents and snorkeling but my real question is this thing will probably see 50/50 pavement/farm use. Don't plan on "mudding", the only thing im going to do with the involves moisture is plow snow. Is extending the vents and snorkeling neccasary for my application? I plan on doing the heat shield mod under the seat as well since ive read a lot about that issue as well. Ive also read a lot about when to use high and when to use low. When you don't plan on doing high speed is it better use low to help the trans out ie pushing 2800# car, putting around farm to get to the deer stand ect. Sorry for all the newbie questions just want to start this thing out right.
Utv

J

JTW

Good questions.. I'll have to differ to others. I still can't see how water gets in these things but I'm going to snorkel mine anyway just to be safe. Probably not necessary for me but oh well.. I'm going to drive it however I want for the first year (with common sense).. if there's an issue they can fix it. Also, there are a lot of better and more reasonable aftermarket parts.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Ok guys just sold my ATV that I used for hunting and farm work, and my golf cart I used to push my racecar around and picked up a 2016 Pioneer 1000. Ive only had it about 24 hours just drove it around the yard inbetween rain drops. So far thing is fun as hell. I put a roof on it, ordered a windshied, and ordered a winch and will be ordering a winch soon as well. Ive read a lot about extending the vents and snorkeling but my real question is this thing will probably see 50/50 pavement/farm use. Don't plan on "mudding", the only thing im going to do with the involves moisture is plow snow. Is extending the vents and snorkeling neccasary for my application? I plan on doing the heat shield mod under the seat as well since ive read a lot about that issue as well. Ive also read a lot about when to use high and when to use low. When you don't plan on doing high speed is it better use low to help the trans out ie pushing 2800# car, putting around farm to get to the deer stand ect. Sorry for all the newbie questions just want to start this thing out right.View attachment 28808
Congratulations! I would say if no one will ever drive it in water then it won't be necessary. But...if you plan on lending it out it may without your knowledge...in this case I would extend all vents and snorkel!

Tbowman053

Tbowman053

Dec 18, 2016
Henderson, MD
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Another quick question it literally only has about 5 minutes of run time total, would the fan have came on? it was misting/ drizzling and a noticed it was steaming off the radiator so I know than wasn't pulling or it would have pulled the steam through. so curious heat light never came on or anything. Also im assuming its going to smell a little weird for a little while when its burning off the paint and "new car smell" lol

1BadDart

1BadDart

Oct 21, 2016
W. KY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
It has a temperature gauge, if you push the button below the digital read out you can scroll through the different read outs. The temp gauge is a bar gauge, it doesn't show a number. I don't plan on riding in water either but I did relocate my intake using aluminum flex dryer duct.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ive read bout a couple people that had a loose connection for the fan so wouldn't hurt to check it out. On the temp gauge, mine stays at 2 bars after it warms up.

Tbowman053

Tbowman053

Dec 18, 2016
Henderson, MD
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Ive read bout a couple people that had a loose connection for the fan so wouldn't hurt to check it out. On the temp gauge, mine stays at 2 bars after it warms up.
Is the connection up under the hood or underneath the machine somewhere? I saw that somewhere to so I took the hood off and checked all connections I could see and everything was good.

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok guys just sold my ATV that I used for hunting and farm work, and my golf cart I used to push my racecar around and picked up a 2016 Pioneer 1000. Ive only had it about 24 hours just drove it around the yard inbetween rain drops. So far thing is fun as hell. I put a roof on it, ordered a windshied, and ordered a winch and will be ordering a winch soon as well. Ive read a lot about extending the vents and snorkeling but my real question is this thing will probably see 50/50 pavement/farm use. Don't plan on "mudding", the only thing im going to do with the involves moisture is plow snow. Is extending the vents and snorkeling neccasary for my application? I plan on doing the heat shield mod under the seat as well since ive read a lot about that issue as well. Ive also read a lot about when to use high and when to use low. When you don't plan on doing high speed is it better use low to help the trans out ie pushing 2800# car, putting around farm to get to the deer stand ect. Sorry for all the newbie questions just want to start this thing out right.View attachment 28808
congrats and welcome to the forum! I use low as my default gear. I always run low gear unless I'm on a gravel or paved road. it will cruise along at 15 to 20 while in low. If you need to run 30 or more, use high. I typically run manual mode when offroad. keep your rpms up, these machines need good oil pressure. don't try to back up a steep hill or pull anything in reverse. reverse gear is a little high, even when you're in low gear. if you do need to back up a steep hill, get in the gas and stay in it.

Manwell

Manwell

Lifetime Member
Jul 12, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
First off, welcome fro Georgia!!

Modifications I considered required are as follows: skid plates, snorkel added and vent tubes modified, split windshield, hard roof, winch. I had all of this done before my first trip into the woods. It seems that the options are endless...

Enjoy your new purchase, lot of great information available right in the forum!

advertisement
PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Whats the recommended break in procedure?? Obviously Id imagine not to go out and take it off jumps at 30 mph with 3 miles on it haha but driving sensible is good enough right?
as far as I know, there is nothing special required in the break in period. I think they want to do an oil change pretty early, seems like it was after the first 100 miles.

Tbowman053

Tbowman053

Dec 18, 2016
Henderson, MD
Ownership

1. 1000-3
as far as I know, there is nothing special required in the break in period. I think they want to do an oil change pretty early, seems like it was after the first 100 miles.
I did read it said oil change after 100 miles. That will probably take me a little while to get to that, until I actually get to use this thing then ill probably rack them up quick!!

Tbowman053

Tbowman053

Dec 18, 2016
Henderson, MD
Ownership

1. 1000-3
First off, welcome fro Georgia!!

Modifications I considered required are as follows: skid plates, snorkel added and vent tubes modified, split windshield, hard roof, winch. I had all of this done before my first trip into the woods. It seems that the options are endless...

Enjoy your new purchase, lot of great information available right in the forum!
Thanks for the warm Welcome! These seem like the first things everyone recommends lol.

KevinSC

KevinSC

Dec 31, 2015
Whats the recommended break in procedure?? Obviously Id imagine not to go out and take it off jumps at 30 mph with 3 miles on it haha but driving sensible is good enough right?
My procedure was.... How I was going to drive it. I took it first thing and floored it to see if it would break the tires loose and to make sure it would make me feel warm and fuzzy, kinda like a two year old who shat themselves on you and laugh :D, after that if I wanted to spin a wheel I would, but other than that I drove it like I normally would. I refuse to baby this thing, and so far I have 900 trouble free miles besides being stuck in the mud twice without a winch. After that I now have a winch. Either way have fun and drive it like you normally would.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine only had a couple hours on it and changed the rev limiter a couple times. Was using manual and didnt realize how much delay there was before it actually shifted. Ran it to redline then pulled paddle. Rat-tat-tat-tat-tat lol. After an hour or so, drive it like you plan on driving it.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Personally I think a skid plate is a necessity. The factory one doesn't offer much protection and is flimsy.

Reactions: JTW
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Welcome to the forum! Like everyone I'd say snorkel it and be done with any worries skids are important it any heavier off road and as assurance on that expensive rig you just bought plus I think additional benefit for plowing consider the plastic skids they would slid better. You're going to want a light bar probably up higher then headlights and backup lights to give you additional assistance. I'm sure you've already considered either soft it hard doors and mid section.

Reactions: GlockMeister
M

matt33

Jun 4, 2016
NE PA
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I had to do 3 things:
  1. complete a front end alignment. My toe was out quite a bit from the factory. I used "string method" from on youtube. Mine is now true to within 1/32" of an inch.
  2. adjust the 4wd and diff-lock engagement box located under the rear driver's side footwell. This is also very quick and easy.
  3. Adjust and add extended door stops. The OEM rubber door stops can be extended by turning them; I had some annoying rattles before I did this.
Each of these things was easy, but I was a little disappointed that I had to do these things myself. In terms of aftermarket equipment, I bought a bed liner and a rear view mirror. Rear back-up lights and maybe a front LED light bar are next. The OEM LED headlights are pretty bright on the Deluxe model. I plan on adding a rifle rack at some point soon too.

Last edited:
B

boatman22

Lifetime Member
Dec 17, 2016
Woodlands TX
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5

3. Other Brand
I also just bought a 1000-5 and will do the intake mod, but where are the vents that some say need to be raised?

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!