"Just In Case" Accessories

B

BrotherNov

Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2019
Springfield, IL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm in the market for a tree saver, snatch block, kinetic recovery rope, soft shackles, etc. Reliability of "emergency" equipment important to me, so I'm not planning on dropping $200 at Harbor freight to knock the list out. On the other hand, that list can easily get to $1,000+ (look up Yankum Ropes 😮) which is probably overkill for an 1800 lb vehicle. Or maybe it isn't.

Everyone on this forum has more experience with this than me, what have you decided is the best way to go with this kind of stuff?

Reactions: JenElio and Isaiah
R

rickoshea

i scrounged all my stuff from work.the crane truck guys replace lifting straps like crazy so i grab them whenever i can,super useful,also grab the d rings and shackles when they swap them out as well.i also grabbed all the old rollgliss safety ropes/sheave blocks.other than my winches i haven't spent a dime on recovery gear for the sxs or the truck.

G

GWH

Lifetime Member
Dec 25, 2018
Las Vegas Nevads
Ownership

1. 1000-5
i scrounged all my stuff from work.the crane truck guys replace lifting straps like crazy so i grab them whenever i can,super useful,also grab the d rings and shackles when they swap them out as well.i also grabbed all the old rollgliss safety ropes/sheave blocks.other than my winches i haven't spent a dime on recovery gear for the sxs or the truck.
If u ride in the middle of nowhere by ur self,I’d recommend a high lifter jack.36” tall.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If u ride in the middle of nowhere by ur self,I’d recommend a high lifter jack.36” tall.

If you’re on the east coast in the trees you can use your winch and two pullies to pull yourself to one side take a tire off and wedge under the machine while you work on it.

We generally use another machines winch to pull a machine up off the tires on one side to change a tie rod /axle/ or plug a flat.

G

GWH

Lifetime Member
Dec 25, 2018
Las Vegas Nevads
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you’re on the east coast in the trees you can use your winch and two pullies to pull yourself to one side take a tire off and wedge under the machine while you work on it.

We generally use another machines winch to pull a machine up off the tires on one side to change a tie rod /axle/ or plug a flat.
There’s no trees in the desert

Reactions: Isaiah
G

GWH

Lifetime Member
Dec 25, 2018
Las Vegas Nevads
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There’s no trees in the desert
I made a huge mistake last year,thinking because I had a winch everything is fine.long story short ,ran it off into the head of a spring and buried it to the floorboards . Nothing to hook the winch to other than bushes which pulled out of the ground,no shovel,oh yes get one of those army shovels as well.after 8 hours of walking was happy to come across a ranch

R

rickoshea

i have the 60" but it won't fit anywhere on the honda.with all my gear i'm very confident i can get out of trouble.i ride solo always so i'm very situationally aware.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have to say this mini Mac rigging line is one of my favorite pieces I have Mini Mac Rigging Line - 3'

it is a little pricy it used as a tree saver, to hook to different spot on a Honda etc. Also have a master pull tree saver

I like the Warn Snatch block and then also have a recovery ring from custom splice. Diamond Recovery Ring - Soft Shackle Pulley

Reactions: Landman
G

GWH

Lifetime Member
Dec 25, 2018
Las Vegas Nevads
Ownership

1. 1000-5
i have the 60" but it won't fit anywhere on the honda.with all my gear i'm very confident i can get out of trouble.i ride solo always so i'm very situationally aware.
Yea when ur out there ,w no cell service, it’s good to pay attn .and be prepared.after that episode I considered getting one of those emergency spot GPS beacons,

Reactions: Cuoutdoors
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
TxDoc

TxDoc

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2019
TEXAS 🇨🇱
photos.app.goo.gl
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Three snatch blocks will slow you to pull yourself backwards with a front-mounted winch.

Soft shackles are everywhere from eBay to Amazon.

I've got Bubba Ropes and the US made billet 4x4 kinetic ropes. Some come with storage bags, others do not. A funny name I recall is the Ditch Pig.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
That's what she said! HA!

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Toilet paper, you never know when nature’s gonna call. 😂

Reactions: GWH and ohanacreek
R

rickoshea

i made a land anchor with rebar pieces and a length of chain.it worked surprisingly well.

R

rickoshea

no pics but what you do is lay about 8/10 ft. of chain in a v with the point facing the vehicle as far from the vehicle as your winch line will reach,pound lengths of rebar thru the links along each side at an angle away from the v point ,hook your winch hook to the v point and start pulling.the trick is to keep the winch line as close to the ground as you can.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
no pics but what you do is lay about 8/10 ft. of chain in a v with the point facing the vehicle as far from the vehicle as your winch line will reach,pound lengths of rebar thru the links along each side at an angle away from the v point ,hook your winch hook to the v point and start pulling.the trick is to keep the winch line as close to the ground as you can.
Thanks! Good pointer! Probably doesn't need to be a heavy chain?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!