Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
I put on the K&N and the Yoshi pipe before heading out to Pismo Beach and the sand dunes and I noticed a good amount of low end, off the line and better hill climbing power than stock and that was with no paddles. I'm hoping the Dobeck system makes even more of a difference with all 3 together. I kept up with my buddy who has a built rhino until we hit the whoops and thats where he left me and my stock suspension in the dust :(.
You for sure going to get the Dobeck?

Lynn

Lynn

Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
Yakima,WA
I'm with you all the way. I want a cut too!! Ha . no i believe it I remember what a huge difference the K&N made just by itself before I started experimenting with different blower motors and straightening the intake system.

Reactions: Tflynn
TimmyBoy84

TimmyBoy84

Aug 5, 2015
Southern California
You for sure going to get the Dobeck?
Yea I think I'm gonna give Dobeck a shot, I'll most likely won't buy it for another month or so but will keep you guys posted when I do and the results. Not too familiar which tuners but there's seems pretty self explanatory. Want to definitely get it before my big annual Thanksgiving trip to see how it performs on the long trail rides we go on.

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Very cool. I'm about to pull the trigger on one myself

jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
They come pre set for stage 1 mods high flow air filter and exhaust so initial tweeking might be minimal

spifyd

spifyd

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2014
newhampshire
on the dyno 24 hp 23 fpt. removed air filter and exhaust tip 24 hp 23fpt. that's what we got.
I have a k + n look alike I have been running and after watching my sun in law loose a motor with a dry uni filter I installed a foam sock filter inside the k+ n look alike. one day riding I found the inner filter covered with black dust from the railroad bed. im going to run both very well lubed.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Just my humble opinion but it is hard to beat a properly oiled Foam filter with an outerwear. If your tearing down a dusted engine it makes 0 horsepower on the work bench.

C

classichonda

Jul 12, 2015
on the dyno 24 hp 23 fpt. removed air filter and exhaust tip 24 hp 23fpt. that's what we got.
I have a k + n look alike I have been running and after watching my sun in law loose a motor with a dry uni filter I installed a foam sock filter inside the k+ n look alike. one day riding I found the inner filter covered with black dust from the railroad bed. im going to run both very well lubed.
if these figures are accurate, any appreciable performance gain from a K&N is imagined. Buy an aftermarket air filter because it does a better job keeping out stuff that causes engine damage, not just because they claim to allow more air through. You can't allow more air through without allowing more dust through. Anything that claims you can have the best of both worlds is selling snake oil

Reactions: swsebek
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
So would the UNI filter be better? HMF has a fuel tumer for the pioneer also..

Ask 3 people you will likely get three opinions. IF in better you mean safer that too depends on the owner, a dry foam filter isn't going to stop all the dirt either as will an under oiled K&N. The foam being generally thicker giver you a slightly longer margin before dust penetrates it being dry versus the cotton in a K&N. The K& N will almost always outflow a foam filter, it too much oil it will not. It really is a fine line of preparation of each one.

My thinking is a properly oiled foam filter with an outerwear keeps the larger particles off the oiled section underneath and can be brushed off the outerwear skin. This help the flow over a longer service period.

Reactions: swsebek
C

classichonda

Jul 12, 2015
People will argue about which filters are the best until the end of time. What everyone should agree on is that replacing/cleaning air filters frequently is more important than brand. Some guys claim brand "x" is junk because they lost a motor. What they don't share is they ride in dusty conditions, don't ensure a sealed fit, and then go 2000 miles before looking at the filter again. If the conditions are dusty, my filters get cleaned after a day of riding.

Reactions: swsebek and JACKAL
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I only change filters when mine need to be changed, I only went with a UNI last time because it was a pain to get the Honda and it was talked up.

I've never even been able to convince myself there was a performance increase worthy of the cost.

Reactions: scott and JACKAL
Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
if these figures are accurate, any appreciable performance gain from a K&N is imagined. Buy an aftermarket air filter because it does a better job keeping out stuff that causes engine damage, not just because they claim to allow more air through. You can't allow more air through without allowing more dust through. Anything that claims you can have the best of both worlds is selling snake oil
Haha very good point! I attribute the performance I gained to the fact that although the stock filter and the k&n are the same size the k&n is pleated, thereby greatly increasing the surface area of the filter.

Simpleman

Simpleman

Nov 19, 2014
Yuba City, California
So would the UNI filter be better? HMF has a fuel tumer for the pioneer also..
I'd snorkel the machine as I've done to get cool clean air..... Use whatever air cleaner you like.... I prefer the K&N with the outer wear... Look and service your machine.... If it's dirty clean it! Since I've done the air inlet mod the amount of dust has been cut down by 80% easy! Do the snorkel and K&N and enjoy more power with less cleaning intervals!

Reactions: Tflynn and Hondasxs
C

classichonda

Jul 12, 2015
I'd snorkel the machine as I've done to get cool clean air..... Use whatever air cleaner you like.... I prefer the K&N with the outer wear... Look and service your machine.... If it's dirty clean it! Since I've done the air inlet mod the amount of dust has been cut down by 80% easy! Do the snorkel and K&N and enjoy more power with less cleaning intervals!
Maybe you have shared your mod in a post, if so, can you post the link. I'd like to see how you ran the snorkel

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!