Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
In no way was I trying to start a fight here either. I was simply saying that Honda will get out of any issues someone may be having if using this filter. I know many prefer one so I was just mentioning this. We never cared about the performance aspect of the K&N it was to ease our maintenance. We would keep a can of filter spray with us and at any point there was a problem it could handled easily without having a whole bunch of filters. We do maintenance up camping as we don't have much available time during the week. I've found for us we tend to do better maintenance with one rather then forgetting to grab a filer before we go. It's always been about convenience cost and availability to us.

Reactions: Stauvo and DRAGFOOT
DRAGFOOT

DRAGFOOT

Lifetime Member
Mar 16, 2016
MINNESOTA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
In no way was I trying to start a fight here either. I was simply saying that Honda will get out of any issues someone may be having if using this filter. We never cared about the performance aspect of the K&N it was to ease our maintenance. We would keep a can of filter spray with us and at any point there was a problem it could handled easily without having a whole bunch of filters. We do maintenance up camping as we don't have much available time during the week. I've found for us we tend to do better maintenance with one rather then forgetting to grab a filer before we go. It's always been about convenience cost and availability to us.

I can be on board with that reason. I guess I tend to work on my stuff more than I ride it unfortunately and I've never had to worry about having time to do something like that in between trips....probably because I don't go on enough trips, clearly!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I can be on board with that reason. I guess I tend to work on my stuff more than I ride it unfortunately and I've never had to worry about having time to do something like that in between trips....probably because I don't go on enough trips, clearly!
@DRAGFOOT i meant no disrespect at all here. But usually we go up a lot and there are lots in the group I always recommend K&N because I'm the one doing the maintenance and with our machines and others there could be up to 12-16 machines on a weekend and half are women and children. We need to be able to do what is necessary to keep everything running. There's nothing worse then having a kid down because his bike won't run. I got some flack for running Rotella in everything as well but it just makes it all doable. Sometimes even the "wrong" filter or oil is better then none.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stauvo and DRAGFOOT
DRAGFOOT

DRAGFOOT

Lifetime Member
Mar 16, 2016
MINNESOTA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
@DRAGFOOT i meant no disrespect at all here. But usually we go up a lot and there are lots in the group I always recommend K&N because I'm the one doing the maintenance and with our machines and others there could be up to 12-16 machines on a weekend and half are women and children. We need to be able to do what is necessary to keep everything running. There's nothing worse then having a kid down because his bike won't run. I got some flack for running Rotella in everything as well but it just makes it all doable. Sometimes even the "wrong" oil is better then none.

No problem here, I get it. You have a good reason, modded rigs, that's a good reason also. Many people do not have a good reason, (stock rig, used around the farm etc.) they just think its better for some reason. Its like people have a phobia of using OEM stuff it seems. You see it all over, I just never understood most of it. Saw the sticker on a race vehicle somewhere so it must be good right? We could go on and on all night, but I wont. I just wonder who it is advising some of these people. Of course half the people wont listen to their dealer.

Last edited:
jawquin

jawquin

Oct 24, 2015
Indiana
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Talon R
I'm not trying to start a fight here, but why is everyone so afraid of just running stock stuff? I mean I get it if there is a performance advantage but for things like air filters, oil filters and oil? Why not just run stock stuff and not worry about it? Especially on a stock machine. What do you really gain with the exception of literally saving a few bucks over years of service? Its not like we have to change air filters very often, heck even oil and oil filters! I just don't get it, someone help me understand. I plan to run OEM Honda everything for service items and would bet that it'll run forever just about, and I wont loose any sleep thinking about oils and air filters.
I like this post DRAGFOOT.

Jbird

Jbird

Jan 6, 2016
Mena, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Raced Yamaha, Kawasaki, Penton, and KTM dirt bikes for years in Cross Country and Enduros and always used Twin Air foam within a foam filter and never had any dust bleed through the inner layer. Don't know if they are still in business or if they will make an air filter for the P1K but if they did I would sure consider using it.

Reactions: DRAGFOOT
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Twin-air is excellent in dirt bikes actually recommended. For our use I do prefer K&N when we can use it but if Twin-air made one for the 1000 that would be a great choice

Reactions: DRAGFOOT and Jbird

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!