Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I wanted bring this to attention. I spent some time yesterday talking to the service manager at Honda and he told me Honda will not warrentee any claim with a k&n. He said vehicles with large displacement throttle bodies will suck the filter dry of oil and allow the dirt to pass through easily. Regardless of the label on the filter they are not acceptable. I prefer them always have and was waiting for one to come out for the Pioneer however I wasn't aware of this being a factor and am use to dealers telling you to not buy them and usually it's because they can't sell you theirs over and over. I've since talked to a couple other trusted mechanics who also say the same thing as well as spending some time online looking it up with the exact same results. You could run it however the maintenance to keep them oiled far exceeds their usefulness and they can gum up the butterflies inside and allow dirt to stick. Figured I'd share this hoping others don't experience problems because of this.

Reactions: Bryan 22
GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I run k&n in all my vehicles but I was told the same thing at my dealership. But they also told me a snorkel,larger tires,and pretty much any alterations would null my warranty.:(

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I wanted bring this to attention. I spent some time yesterday talking to the service manager at Honda and he told me Honda will not warrentee any claim with a k&n. He said vehicles with large displacement throttle bodies will suck the filter dry of oil and allow the dirt to pass through easily. Regardless of the label on the filter they are not acceptable. I prefer them always have and was waiting for one to come out for the Pioneer however I wasn't aware of this being a factor and am use to dealers telling you to not buy them and usually it's because they can't sell you theirs over and over. I've since talked to a couple other trusted mechanics who also say the same thing as well as spending some time online looking it up with the exact same results. You could run it however the maintenance to keep them oiled far exceeds their usefulness and they can gum up the butterflies inside and allow dirt to stick. Figured I'd share this hoping others don't experience problems because of this.
I wonder what hey would say about this?

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I run k&n in all my vehicles but I was told the same thing at my dealership. But they also told me a snorkel,larger tires,and pretty much any alterations would null my warranty.:(
I asked at the time I bought mine and they didn't seem to mind too much other then about synthetic oil. The dealer is well aware I'm going to snorkel now. I can't see that being a problem if factory filter is still in play or obviously water

Reactions: GlockMeister
Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I don't think that's what he was talking about:)
Ya, that's why I was thinking. As long as you don't use one in place of the factory filter.

Do you know if it is the same for other brand sxs' such as Polaris razor 1000?

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I'm pretty sure it is from all I heard. There's a lot more suction. We run them in everything And nothing gets by but they've always had oil when cleaned. I guess that's the problem with large displaced fuel injection

Reactions: Eltobgi
walexa07

walexa07

Lifetime Member
Feb 6, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The service manager doesn't really know what he's talking about when he says engines with large displacement suck the oil from the filter and allow dirt to pass. I'm sure the warranty is probably denied on all Honda sporting equipment if you use K&N - not just the Pioneer. Air filters for any application are always sized per the application. The 1000 twin pulls alot of air, and that's why the air filter is huge. It's not like it has a 70cc atv air filter. The problem with K&N is there are pinholes in the gauze everywhere. The oil is "supposed" to stop dirt from going through the holes but if you can hold something up to the sun and see sunlight shining through, then dust can make it through. Unless I was professionally racing, I would never run K&N on anything I wanted to get a long life out of.

Waylan

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
We've had excellent luck on our dirtbikes. Mine has over 14,000 nearly all off road on it so it seems to work for off road carbs just fine. We will clean the filters twice a year and there has never been dirt behind. It's mainly the off road vehicles with throttle bodies was what he was referring too. But he said usually speaking the bigger the displacement the more problems it has. And I'm sure you're right about filter size. It makes sense if you have an oversized filter you wouldn't have the problems. We used k&n in both the Can-am and the 700-4 but after looking into it we shouldn't hav. I love k&n and have argued at times over them but for this application no way

S

slowandeasy

Jun 29, 2015
Palm Bay, FL
K&N suck for ATVs. They are correct that K&N let particles in. they use a thin oil that is OK for normal highway vehicles. for ATVs you need a unifilter or twinair foam filter and use a thick filter oil such as old faithful Bel-Ray. its sticky and catches everything.

advertisement
walexa07

walexa07

Lifetime Member
Feb 6, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm not sure I understand how carburetors versus FI impact airflow through an air filter.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Well I'm going off what I was told but fi moves lots more air.mechanics aren't really my thing i get by for the most part however it sounded reasonable when he was explaining it. I brought up how well they have done in the past for us and he told me why. But bottom line no way will I use them on this especially with the warrentee deal There's someone here that can explain in detail I'm hoping. Maybe because fi generally builds more power and requires more air?

Last edited:
wyo700

wyo700

Lifetime Member
Sep 26, 2013
I've put a K&N in every vehicle I have ever owned and have never had a single problem. Ever.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I've put a K&N in every vehicle I have ever owned and have never had a single problem. Ever.
I totally agree with you at least till this vehicle I've been a fan forever but if you do deside to run one make sure it doesn't go into the shop with one. the transmission on these share oil with motor so even a problem with that if they know you've ever had one on will be void.

Last edited:
DRAGFOOT

DRAGFOOT

Lifetime Member
Mar 16, 2016
MINNESOTA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I'm not trying to start a fight here, but why is everyone so afraid of just running stock stuff? I mean I get it if there is a performance advantage but for things like air filters, oil filters and oil? Why not just run stock stuff and not worry about it? Especially on a stock machine. What do you really gain with the exception of literally saving a few bucks over years of service? Its not like we have to change air filters very often, heck even oil and oil filters! I just don't get it, someone help me understand. I plan to run OEM Honda everything for service items and would bet that it'll run forever just about, and I wont loose any sleep thinking about oils and air filters.

S

slowandeasy

Jun 29, 2015
Palm Bay, FL
once you upgrade and add a power commander and high flowing aftermarket exhaust, you'll need a higher flowing air filter. basic fluid dynamics.

Reactions: DRAGFOOT
DRAGFOOT

DRAGFOOT

Lifetime Member
Mar 16, 2016
MINNESOTA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
once you upgrade and add a power commander and high flowing aftermarket exhaust, you'll need a higher flowing air filter. basic fluid dynamics.

Right, but we're not to that point are we? I am referring to a stock machine as I mentioned like most if not all of us have. I understand how it works, believe me.

S

slowandeasy

Jun 29, 2015
Palm Bay, FL
i mean, if you add the autotune it will adjust automatically to reach your target AFR, but still you can only flow as much as your weakest link.

S

slowandeasy

Jun 29, 2015
Palm Bay, FL
already have the power commander and single channel autotune. waiting on HMF to release their swamp series for the 1000. in the process of fabricating an aluminum replacement airbox that has top intake for a rear mounted snorkel.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!