P1000 2016 Honda Pioneer-1000 Grinding Noise

D

dfrasier88

Oct 18, 2023
Granville, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hello,

I took my Pioneer out for a ride yesterday on some trails and had it in 4 wheel drive, 4-high. I got into a spot where I had to back up into a small ditch and turn around, as I was going forward climbing out of this small ditch I heard an awful grinding sound and the whole machine vibrated during this too. This only occurred when the extra torque was needed to move the machine, whether it be up a hill or over a larger log, and happened a few other times on this ride.

This machine has less than 1000 miles and I'm really frustrated about this, considering how few miles it has. We did purchase it used with about 770 miles on it. I do assume there will need to be a cable adjustment as whenever we shift it into 4-low there is a similar grinding noise, which is very frustrating. It also seems to shift very violently to me, and also doesn't seem to shift correctly when going down a large hill. It seems to just stay in the low gear (which may be normal)

I'm just looking for some answers here. I did bring it to the shop a few months ago and asked them to look everything over, and they did and claimed everything was good but I'm guessing they didn't really go wild looking at the transmission or drive shaft etc, because at the time I hadn't ridden it enough to detect any issue.

Any help on this is TRULY appreciated. Thank you guys!

Reactions: ChadD and TxDoc
WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Try this. My 2018 made some pops and clunks when I tried to put it in 4wd one time. I did these adjustments on the front diff and no issues since
Screenshot 20220429 211040 Chrome
Screenshot 20220429 210930 Chrome
Screenshot 20220429 210822 Chrome

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Also check out this video to adjust the cable going to the rear diff

D

dfrasier88

Oct 18, 2023
Granville, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Also check out this video to adjust the cable going to the rear diff

Do you think this could also explain the grinding noise that came up when it needed torque to go up a hill?

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Do you think this could also explain the grinding noise that came up when it needed torque to go up a hill?
It could be. Start with those cable adjustments since that's something easy to check. Also when you're in a tight spot like going through a ditch or up a steep hill or over a log, put it in low range. This will help to save your clutches.

Another thing is be sure you have the updated clutch cover. The 2016 year model had issues with that. You can search on this site to find a picture of what the updated cover looks like.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Check the condition of your front axles. Grab the axle near each CV joint and see if it moves around when you wiggle it.

I'm kind of thinking you may have a bad CV in the front.

D

dfrasier88

Oct 18, 2023
Granville, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Check the condition of your front axles. Grab the axle near each CV joint and see if it moves around when you wiggle it.

Thanks for the reply.

Would a CV joint only grind when needed torque for getting up a hill? Or does that mean its only "partially" bad, and not fully broken yet?

Reactions: Remington
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Thanks for the reply.

Would a CV joint only grind when needed torque for getting up a hill? Or does that mean its only "partially" bad, and not fully broken yet?
Shouldn't do that ever! If your grinding, popping or hearing anything other than absolutely nothing from an axel, its bad and time to replace. There is no such thing as “Partially bad” with an axel.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for the reply.

If it's making noise, it's gone bad. But it's common for them to not make any noise when they're not under load (or not being driven,) especially when they first start going bad.

My RR is starting to go. It only makes noise in reverse or on a sharp turn. It'll be changed soon.

Reactions: ChadD
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had a front one that I didn't know was bad until I put it in 4 HI, then I heard it.

I run around in turf most of the time.

D

dfrasier88

Oct 18, 2023
Granville, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Doesn't move at all. Would it need to be in 4 wheel drive to be loose or would it be loose regardless? I checked both CV's in the front and they're super tight but it was in 2WD when I checked.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It doesn't need to be in 4. It still could be a CV, but less likely since they feel solid. They make a bit more of a clicking / thunking sound when they start to fail, not so much grinding.

D

dfrasier88

Oct 18, 2023
Granville, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It doesn't need to be in 4. It still could be a CV, but less likely since they feel solid. They make a bit more of a clicking / thunking sound when they start to fail, not so much grinding.

This was indeed a clicking, grinding noise. Like a violent clicking/grinding noise that vibrated the whole machine.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Doesn't move at all. Would it need to be in 4 wheel drive to be loose or would it be loose regardless? I checked both CV's in the front and they're super tight but it was in 2WD when I checked.
You need someone to drive it slowly and you walking along side of it getting close to the diff area to pinpoint your issue. Just driving it inside to hear is like trying to hear what your wife is telling you when shes in the other room! 🥳

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!