Keeping trails open with the Pioneer

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
Now that my cab etc: is done and I've been wanting to ride my Pioneer I went out and blew some of my trails out with the snowblower ,so now when it snows I go and drag the trails with the Pioneer. I have approx 4 klms of trails opened just to beable to ride. It was a nice sunny day so it felt really nice in the cab. I still have to try to figure out a better way to seal up around the e-brake as there's lots of cold air still comming in around the lever.The temp today was -21c but with the windchill it was -31c so it was cold. Here's some pics of my trails and the Pioneer dragging the drag.Its nice to beable to get out and drive it around with out fear of getting stuck.

Pioneer winter trail ride 001 Small Pioneer winter trail ride 002 Small Pioneer winter trail ride 004 Small Pioneer winter trail ride 009 Small

M

Feb 13, 2014
I have this same problem and I like this solution a lot. What is the drag? Can you post a close up picture of it?

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
Member said:
I have this same problem and I like this solution a lot. What is the drag? Can you post a close up picture of it?
The drag is just a 6" x 6" sq piece of wood that is 6 ft long with a chain hooked close to either end and right behind the 6x6 is one of my 5 ft long heavy trailer ramps.chained to the chains that pull the 6x6. I'll eventually have to make some sort of drag but this does the trick for right now.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
This is a good idea, This week we got our first snow. I see how this could be useful as the snow ruts have slung me around several time.

M

Feb 13, 2014
slowdryrider said:
Member said:
The drag is just a 6" x 6" sq piece of wood that is 6 ft long with a chain hooked close to either end and right behind the 6x6 is one of my 5 ft long heavy trailer ramps.chained to the chains that pull the 6x6. I'll eventually have to make some sort of drag but this does the trick for right now.

Do you angle the drag so it dumps snow out one side (is the chain shorter on one side as compared to the other)?

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
Member said:
slowdryrider said:
Member said:

Do you angle the drag so it dumps snow out one side (is the chain shorter on one side as compared to the other)?

I actually just have been pulling it straight it seems to work good at filling in the ruts and packing down the snow.If I leave it over night before driving on it ,it's like driving on a hard packed road.
The drags that they use to groom the snowmobile trails etc; are what I'am thinking of making for myself but on a lot smaller scale. If you google snowmobile trail groomers/skids you can get a few idea's.

Dick

Dick

Dec 29, 2013
N.B. Canada
Slowdryrider, how much snow do you think you are running on top of?

I have been trying for the last few weeks to pack a few kms of my trails down enough with the snowmobile to run the Pioneer on. I haven't had much luck just can't seem to get it hard enough yet. Warm spell would probably help.

I have had good luck cutting the branches back though the extra snow height has made it easier limbing. Its funny some people actually enjoy cutting wood, I enjoy cutting trails for the Pioneer...

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
Dick said:

I have been trying for the last few weeks to pack a few kms of my trails down enough with the snowmobile to run the Pioneer on. I haven't had much luck just can't seem to get it hard enough yet. Warm spell would probably help.

I have had good luck cutting the branches back though the extra snow height has made it easier limbing. Its funny some people actually enjoy cutting wood, I enjoy cutting trails...
I only have a couple inches at the most,I had just finished blowing the trails out with the tractor and snowblower a few days earlier and took these pics after we had a 6" snow fall.
Your right I like to have trails to drive around on.I enjoy just getting out and riding around on them so this is why I have lots of trails.

Dick

Dick

Dec 29, 2013
N.B. Canada
slowdryrider said:
Dick said:

I have had good luck cutting the branches back though the extra snow height has made it easier limbing. Its funny some people actually enjoy cutting wood, I enjoy cutting trails...
I only have a couple inches at the most,I had just finished blowing the trails out with the tractor and snowblower a few days earlier and took these pics after we had a 6" snow fall.
Your right I like to have trails to drive around on.I enjoy just getting out and riding around on them so this is why I have lots of trails.

Thx, I was hoping you were going to say more.

There are some beautiful days coming up the end of February and March hoping I can ride on top of my trails at least in the mornings.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!