Kids Starter ATV

Spellmajr

Spellmajr

Jul 10, 2016
North MS
Ownership

1. 500
Man honestly for the money buy a Chinese 50 (clone Honda engine) and call it a day. The one we bought for my daughter at 18 months that was almost 12 years ago, we gave it away to friends, it keeps going so that’s impressive.
They have remote so you can start or shut off if they are about to get in trouble. Has gone through 7-8 kids.
Could start on that, build up confidence and move on

View attachment 93118 View attachment 93119

What brand is that atv your talking about?

Reactions: sharp
Spellmajr

Spellmajr

Jul 10, 2016
North MS
Ownership

1. 500
For the record. We don’t ever go to track or joy ride for hours. We live on 6 acres he can ride around why I’m outside or working around the house. We also have family land I can take him and he can go ride while I do deer stand work etc.

Reactions: sharp
jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
the kids learning, so I figured where you going to get parts when they break it too. where are you going to get oil filters and plastics, so not going to get anything for the chineese one when you sell it and they are. any if the major brand ones yo can just go to the dealer and be back in business quick. one of the guys in the club bought a 90 Polaris one, reverse and a horn, pretty cool for learning and faster stuff too, we went to tall pines which is a park, lots of hills and mud, he did fine. he rode with his dad on the black trails

pretty much what anybody want to do, to me though the money is better spent on a 80 or 90, you can adapt it to the skill level of the kid for longer. you can turn the throttle down for beginning in the yard for a while and when you want to go to tougher or faster levels it will do that too. I would say it was good till 10-12 when they can steer something like a recon. she drove my outlander fine was eps. wouldnt trust any kid with that power but she is a lot more responsible than I was she, always says she is afraid of going fast and breaking it. good I suppose but she didn't get it from me or her mom is worse than me, had to get her her own too so I could ride mine

Reactions: Smitty335 and sharp
Dragon21

Dragon21

In my defense, I was left unsupervised
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Parts for the chinese ones are plentiful, between amazon, ebay, and local places that sell them. I would actually more than likely be able to find parts easier for the chinese ones. Both my girls bent tie rods on the canam. No local dealer had them so had to order it and took just as long as anything else.

Also, the canam i paid 2500 for. When i sell it Ill maybe get 1500-1800 ish. My sons chinese one i got for $600 and i can probalby sell it for $300 when he outgrows it. Will lose a lot less on that one.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
What brand is that atv your talking about?
Kazuma Meercat and Rocketa are a couple but they sell under a bunch of names. We had Rocketa and I know a few that had the meerkat without any issues.
Best to check bolts for tightness and go around them because they are assembled quickly but we see those issues sometimes with the big names too.
I’d stay with the smaller cc machines with the full covered footwells and short suspension arms like these, they seem to hold up great without issues.
Don’t be afraid to buy used because they are pretty good and you could save some coin. We bought ours for 450 and it’s still going after 12 years, that’s like 40$ a year lol.

841665B8 DC98 41E9 A424 AAF95F7A2906 7C0B6C46 6826 4EF6 8692 D32656AA73D9 3F1CC319 A9AB 4AD9 BBA2 9B71018A47B7 8E0EFBF4 AA48 47B0 BC15 09E48C46BF1F

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
In the early years it was hard to find parts but not now.upgrafes or parts are plentiful. The only real problem I see is ---- Some of the dealers are not stable and go out of business and warrantys are wasted.But if it's just getting a beginner atv for a 5 year old he will grow out of. Then Chinese is good Idea. But if it's going to be in the family for years and passed to siblings or other family's kids then I would get a Honda 90 cause they last your lifetime

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
In the last 2 years I've had a Yamaha Raptor 50, 2 Yamaha Moto4 80, Can-am DS90, Kazuma Red Cat 50, 2 Chinese 110s.

I have a 4 year old son, we buy these machines used when the price is right and flip them for a small profit. The old Yamaha 80s are fun but they don't have suspension so I won't buy another. I would buy a Raptor 80 as it's a similar machine but with suspension. The Yamaha Raptor 50 is a great machine for a bigger younger kids but its slow...really slow like 13mph. The Kazuma red cat is tough to ride as an adult but it's the only machine we've held on to because it's perfect size for my 4 year old and it's under 15mph in first gear and up to 25 or 30 in 4th gear. It's just the right size machine for the kiddo. The Can-am 90 is a good competitor for the Honda 90, good size machine lots of performance (+35mph) and fun but definitely more of a 8-10 year old rider type of machine. The Chinese 110s were both pretty beat up, too big for my boy and no where near the fun of the Can-am, not as fast and much poorer suspension and brakes.

Reactions: Dragon21 and sharp
Dragon21

Dragon21

In my defense, I was left unsupervised
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
In the last 2 years I've had a Yamaha Raptor 50, 2 Yamaha Moto4 80, Can-am DS90, Kazuma Red Cat 50, 2 Chinese 110s.

I have a 4 year old son, we buy these machines used when the price is right and flip them for a small profit. The old Yamaha 80s are fun but they don't have suspension so I won't buy another. I would buy a Raptor 80 as it's a similar machine but with suspension. The Yamaha Raptor 50 is a great machine for a bigger younger kids but its slow...really slow like 13mph. The Kazuma red cat is tough to ride as an adult but it's the only machine we've held on to because it's perfect size for my 4 year old and it's under 15mph in first gear and up to 25 or 30 in 4th gear. It's just the right size machine for the kiddo. The Can-am 90 is a good competitor for the Honda 90, good size machine lots of performance (+35mph) and fun but definitely more of a 8-10 year old rider type of machine. The Chinese 110s were both pretty beat up, too big for my boy and no where near the fun of the Can-am, not as fast and much poorer suspension and brakes.

The thing that brought me the the Canam i got was it has reverse. Most kids atvs dont have that. And its only a matter of time before they run into something and need it. or cant quite make the turn they thought they could

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!