KY- WV ride

PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
Over the weekend we met up with some friends who live outside of Williamsville KY and did some riding. We got to ride on some private property and see a really neat mine. We did a lot of riding in KY on trails I had never been on. On the WV side we came up a trail out of Matewan and found the mine that the ATV is in front of. You could go in both mines, but the one was easier than the other. The photo where we are in the mine still has the rail way for the coal cars, but only the ties, the rail's were gone. We rode to the top of a old strip mine in KY. Neat view, but it was 90 degrees that day, so we didn't stay long.

IMG 0261 IMG 0260 IMG 0259 IMG 0272 IMG 0273 IMG 0265 IMG 0264

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
My dad worked 40 years in coal mining. He always called me a dumbass for going in those old mines lol. I got him to go in one with me and my boys when we were turkey hunting , he was around 70. I took a picture of him and my son's inside and he told me to never show it to anyone. He said he didn't want anyone to say that he didn't have enough sense to stay out those death traps. Small rock falls or bad air is all he went on about.

Hillbillytnt

Hillbillytnt

May 2, 2020
Ky
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Be careful in those old mines. If the top don’t get you the critters that hang out in there will. Most of the mines around here aren’t tall enough to stand up in. When they do the reclaim work they just seal them up

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Those mines like he's in are probably from the 40s and 50s. There is numerous ones like that around Royal Blue. The one that we went in had someone's intials and date of 1945 on the wall about 50 feet in.

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Those mines like he's in are probably from the 40s and 50s. There is numerous ones like that around Royal Blue. The one that we went in had someone's intials and date of 1945 on the wall about 50 feet in.
🤔....sounds like a good ride theme for one of the TO trips. "Mine huntining" check out a few of them old mining spots 😉

PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
I agree on going in the mines. The one we went in the guy who owns the land is redoing the mine to store bourbon for someone. You can see in the photos there is equipment in the entrance where they are doing the work. Also, that mine had a solid limestone roof. At least where we were it did. They guy who owns the property has it gated up and chained up pretty well. But it doesn't stop everyone. We were lucky that our friends know him well and he took us to it. We would have never of seen it from the trail without him pointing it out.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!