P1000 Length of Winch Line

Bighat

Bighat

Nov 25, 2021
Gallipolis Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Alright, everyone on here has talked me into changing my new winch line from wire to synthetic and they're probably right. I have a 5000 lb. Ramsey winch with 7/32" wire 60' long which has an MBS of 5600lb. I will be going with Master Pulls 1/4" Super line which is rated at 15000Lb. MBS. Here's what I'm not sure about. I will need to go with about 50' of the larger Super Line. This will shorten my usable rope length to about 40'. That doesn't seem to be much. How much winch extension line should I carry with me? 50', 75?

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I carry a full 50' spare synthetic line, but also carry (2) 25' 12,000 lbs tow straps that I primarily use for and extension if needed. Also carry 2 snatch blocks in case of really getting stuck and or uprighting a machine by yourself.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Alright, everyone on here has talked me into changing my new winch line from wire to synthetic and they're probably right. I have a 5000 lb. Ramsey winch with 7/32" wire 60' long which has an MBS of 5600lb. I will be going with Master Pulls 1/4" Super line which is rated at 15000Lb. MBS. Here's what I'm not sure about. I will need to go with about 50' of the larger Super Line. This will shorten my usable rope length to about 40'. That doesn't seem to be much. How much winch extension line should I carry with me? 50', 75?

Not sure it's apples to apples if you are comparing wire rope vs synthetic rope diameter vs length when spooled onto a drum. Consider that the wire rope will maintain its diameter while the synthetic rope will flatten a bit. I.e. the wire rope "wastes" some drum space as voids between the turns on the drum, while the synthetic line tends to fill those voids and thus lays flatter if you will. In other words, you may not lose length capacity going to the synthetic. . . . I sure didn't.

Bighat

Bighat

Nov 25, 2021
Gallipolis Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Not sure it's apples to apples if you are comparing wire rope vs synthetic rope diameter vs length when spooled onto a drum. Consider that the wire rope will maintain its diameter while the synthetic rope will flatten a bit. I.e. the wire rope "wastes" some drum space as voids between the turns on the drum, while the synthetic line tends to fill those voids and thus lays flatter if you will. In other words, you may not lose length capacity going to the synthetic. . . . I sure didn't.
If that's so that would give me about 10 more feet. I'm guessing. The wire rope is 60' and I got to keep a least 5 spool wraps on. I call Master Pull and ask them for sure. I may have to order the 75' and cut it if the winch won't handle it all. Hell, it's only money. Ha Ha.

Reactions: Buggyman
Bighat

Bighat

Nov 25, 2021
Gallipolis Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
And an outstanding warranty. Highly recommend purchasing them through the store here.
And an outstanding warranty. Highly recommend purchasing them through the store here.
To late, found a buy on a new in the box Ramsey. Couldn't pass it up. $503.00 included shipping. They list for over $1400 on Ramsey's website and there made in the USA. I had to buy it. Just looking at the right time I guess, and there it was.

Bighat

Bighat

Nov 25, 2021
Gallipolis Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
What length of winch line extensions does everyone carry. This Super Line from Master Pull is high dollar stuff, but if I'm going to go with it on the for my winch line then the extension line needs to be the same rated MBS or I'll create a week link. Any thoughts or suggestion, other?

Reactions: Buggyman
bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Some things to consider, your winch is only going to pull at rated power with one wrap on the drum. However, you can double the pulling power of the winch with one block (normally a snatch block or a "soft" version). Let's say you run the winch line out and through a snatch block, then back to the vehicle to terminate the line there. This means an extension at the snatch block is best to have double the rating of the single winch line. With this in mind, I have tow straps, snatch straps, etc, with much higher rating than the winch. These can be used to extend the winch reach as well as their original purpose. Use what you brung. :)

Bighat

Bighat

Nov 25, 2021
Gallipolis Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
That's what I'm thinking. If I'm stuck, it's going to be good, so the force pulling it out could be 2,3 and maybe even 4 times to weight of the vehicle. I was just wondering what length extension lines lengths and so forth others carry. I'll be riding in Ohio, WV and maybe KY, so most of the time there will be trees around. But, I don't want to come up short, like when I need to use 2 snatch blocks to help pull out.

N

nsmitch

May 28, 2020
Spruce Grove, AB Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It doesn't matter how much you carry as the tree you need to get to is always 10' further than what you carry. Ha. I carry 100' of 1/2' braided rope that also works on my Honda capstan winch. Lots of room under the seat for extra straps.

Reactions: Lady01
Bighat

Bighat

Nov 25, 2021
Gallipolis Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
It doesn't matter how much you carry as the tree you need to get to is always 10' further than what you carry. Ha. I carry 100' of 1/2' braided rope that also works on my Honda capstan winch. Lots of room under the seat for extra straps.
That's my luck, just one tree to far.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!