lexan

R

rickoshea

okay,last aug. i bought a miter saw and a really nice bristle dartboard from a guy on facebook.nice guy,chatted for an hour,he gave me 2 4x8 1/2"clear lexan sheets with the backing paper still on.my question is, has anyone tried to heat form a lexan sheet this thick and what did you use? i'm thinking maybe trying to fashion a half roof for the p1k-5.i would like to try and form it over the 1 pce hardcoat poly windshield and maybe apply some window tint on the top.i need some input before i try the heat gun.don't want to trash a sheet experimenting because i can use them for other projects.

Reactions: BWAF
L2R

L2R

Understanding women Vol. 1
Lifetime Member
Feb 16, 2019
East of the Appalachians
Ownership

1. 700-4
look up youtube and you will see videos showing various ways to bend it and or heat it.
one guy unraveled the wire from a blow dryer and stretched it out flat to focus the heat along a straight line.
good luck

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
iv seen people do everything from heat guns to rose buds on it. a lexan roof would be sick. havent seen anyone do that yet but iv seen them bend it for half windshield alot.using clamps and 2x4s to hold straight line and let the weight do the work.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’ve never bend lexan, but have heated up pvc conduit to a larger inside diameter, plastic will stretch, but I had a had a hard time not making the plastic turn black from the heat. Might be tough with a transparent plastic

L2R

L2R

Understanding women Vol. 1
Lifetime Member
Feb 16, 2019
East of the Appalachians
Ownership

1. 700-4
you don't have to use heat if you have a way to bend it.
it won't turn black unless you are getting a flame too close.
most don't use a torch, a heat gun will do it and a hair dryer for thin stuff.
pretty amazing stuff.
suggest you get a couple of small pieces to play with and develop how you want to do this if you want to protect both big pieces

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
I bend 1/4" on my press brake without heat no problem. Don't know about 1/2".

BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We did 3/8 in sheet metal break if it's true lexan

Reactions: L2R
snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
I bought a 6' long heating element for a food warmer to make a heater for long parts. Never did finish it. Youtube has examples.

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
I don't think lexan likes window tint either. The plastic releases gasses and creates bubbles in the tint if I remember correctly.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
advertisement
R

rickoshea

not really a big concern for me.more than likely it'll get trashed from trees/branches anyway.plus it's not fresh lexan,probably a decade old.

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
not really a big concern for me.more than likely it'll get trashed from trees/branches anyway.plus it's not fresh lexan,probably a decade old.

just clamp 2x4s and heat it with a couple heat guns. (Both sides together is best.)

Reactions: CumminsPusher

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!