P500 License plate mounting for 520?

J

Jdh3

Dec 28, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
I used a piece of sheet aluminum and a bolt with a couple of washers/nut. I also used 2 holes (under the plate) with a cable tie to prevent it from rotating. This all worked with an existing frame hole.
C6C4B633 F6B6 437C B99A E20370150119

L

Lookouttrout

Feb 12, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. 500
I used a piece of sheet aluminum and a bolt with a couple of washers/nut. I also used 2 holes (under the plate) with a cable tie to prevent it from rotating. This all worked with an existing frame hole.View attachment 259539wow. Very impressed with your workmanship. Thank you!

J

Jdh3

Dec 28, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
No problem. Happy to help.
It’s a little rough on the edges because I used hand tin snips. It’s also at a little angle so I will probably make another one at some point but first I’m going to see how it holds up.

The Green Goat

The Green Goat

LGBTQ Compliance Officer -Lotta gays in this place
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
I used a piece of sheet aluminum and a bolt with a couple of washers/nut. I also used 2 holes (under the plate) with a cable tie to prevent it from rotating. This all worked with an existing frame hole.View attachment 259539
What process did you go through to make your p5 roadworthy in Ohio?

J

Jdh3

Dec 28, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
The actual license plate was easy. Just go to the BMV with your title, tell them you want an APV plate, and answer their question (does it have brakes, headlight, muffler). They didn't ask about a horn, turn signal, etc. This is governed by ORC 4519.2

The Ohio laws are really inconsistent and confusing. In the law, APV (and off road motorcycles) does not equal Mini trucks, UTV, and golf carts and this makes it difficult.

Regarding UTV; The BMV site says EACH jurisdiction needs to inspect your vehicle before use. This can be a mess between different towns, counties, townships, etc. You may need to get your vehicle inspected several times to be legal.
Regardless, you can NEVER operate on State Highways but you are allowed to cross them and operate beside them for very short distances.

"The authorization to operate these vehicles on public roads is at the discretion of the local authority of each jurisdiction where the vehicle will be operated (see Ohio Revised Code 4511.215). Please contact the local law enforcement in the city, township, village, or applicable jurisdiction for the ordinances and/or laws.
The Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV) does not supersede the authorization of the local authority of a jurisdiction. Each vehicle MUST successfully pass the required vehicle inspection (DPS 1373) performed by EACH local law enforcement prior to obtaining registration for limited on-road use." State of Ohio BMV

The checklist is somewhat clear what is required (amazingly a Horn is not required).

This matches the Ohio Administrative Code.

I actually think, once you have a plate, most police will make the assumption you are ok and not bother you.
If you don't have a plate, it's an easy ID and you would be more likely to be stopped. They can then go through the checklist and notice the lack of turn signals, etc.
Obviously don't attract attention to yourself

The Green Goat

The Green Goat

LGBTQ Compliance Officer -Lotta gays in this place
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
The actual license plate was easy. Just go to the BMV with your title, tell them you want an APV plate, and answer their question (does it have brakes, headlight, muffler). They didn't ask about a horn, turn signal, etc. This is governed by ORC 4519.2

The Ohio laws are really inconsistent and confusing. In the law, APV (and off road motorcycles) does not equal Mini trucks, UTV, and golf carts and this makes it difficult.

Regarding UTV; The BMV site says EACH jurisdiction needs to inspect your vehicle before use. This can be a mess between different towns, counties, townships, etc. You may need to get your vehicle inspected several times to be legal.
Regardless, you can NEVER operate on State Highways but you are allowed to cross them and operate beside them for very short distances.

"The authorization to operate these vehicles on public roads is at the discretion of the local authority of each jurisdiction where the vehicle will be operated (see Ohio Revised Code 4511.215). Please contact the local law enforcement in the city, township, village, or applicable jurisdiction for the ordinances and/or laws.
The Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV) does not supersede the authorization of the local authority of a jurisdiction. Each vehicle MUST successfully pass the required vehicle inspection (DPS 1373) performed by EACH local law enforcement prior to obtaining registration for limited on-road use." State of Ohio BMV

The checklist is somewhat clear what is required (amazingly a Horn is not required).

This matches the Ohio Administrative Code.

I actually think, once you have a plate, most police will make the assumption you are ok and not bother you.
If you don't have a plate, it's an easy ID and you would be more likely to be stopped. They can then go through the checklist and notice the lack of turn signals, etc.
Obviously don't attract attention to yourself

Awesome! Thank you so much. I've been researching the subject quite a bit and as you mentioned, its confusing as hell. So, my p52 is an APV and not a UTV when it comes to being a road vehicle?

49north

49north

Jan 9, 2021
Daisy WA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Do not currently own
A very nice job Jdh3. I have been looking to put my plate on the 520. I hope I can configure something as nice as yours.

J

Jdh3

Dec 28, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Yes, As far as I can tell SXS are APV in Ohio. I really don’t think anyone is very clear on it (including the police).
I ordered a rear view mirror (wanted one anyway) to help give one less thing to attract attention.
I hope this all helps, at least for those in Ohio

Reactions: The Green Goat
P

pappyo

Dec 19, 2013
Apologies : For Lousy Pictures.
Tucked licence plate away on the seat belt cross bar - pass side - inside of the back window.
Attached L/plate to piece of alum. angle --slides between cross bar & back window -- attaches with one screw down through top to hold L/plate.( Simple & Quick )
Try to use KISS system when I can -- tell myself when I start ( keep - it -simple - stupid )
Took longer to Wright this up -- than to attach the L/plate.

20210310 085318 20210310 084635

Last edited:
Reactions: Jdh3
S

Starcat

Oct 5, 2020
SW Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
I put mine in about the same place Jdh3 did. Utah requires license plate illumination to meet street legal requirements for an upcoming trip to Moab. I found an LED bracket with IPX7 waterproof rating on Amazon for about $11 and mounted it with two self-drilling screws. A turn signal kit provided power leads for the lights, haven’t hooked up the wires yet.

0CEF2D15 9552 4D85 8477 39BE3F513189

Reactions: trigger

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!