P1000 Lite Rocker Swith - Power source?

H

HarrisonHills

Jun 25, 2019
North
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks in advance for any responses I get..

Two questions, first is easy (I think):

1. Where’s the best place to connect a light up rocker switch to? I will have three. Currently tied it to a brown wire for the lights following a previous post, but it’s giving me feedback through my speakers. There’s the 15 amp spare in the fuse box, just not sure how easy that is.

2. Is there a way to tie the light up portion of a rocker switch to the ignition, but the actual button to just the battery? I want the light on when driving, but the ability to turn on the radio with no key on (I have a volt meter to check on battery).

Regards

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
1. It depends when you want them lit

2. Yes if you have the right switch

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

H

HarrisonHills

Jun 25, 2019
North
Ownership

1. 1000-5
1. It depends when you want them lit

2. Yes if you have the right switch

I have OTRATTW switches.

Want them lite when the key is on. Also want the ability to take the same switch and turn on the accessory while the ignition is off (and key 1/2 way)

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
You need a ON/OFF/ON switch with indipendant lights.
Up ON - power from battery or AUX.
Middle OFF - Off
Down ON - key-on power.

Now, how do you want the lights powered again. Most just light them anytime the panel has power. But some tie them into the headlights. And few want a second switch to turn them on/off.

All user preference.
Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
For the switch illumination The important part is how many poles the switch has. Even an on/off/on may not light up the switch the way you want. Some have a separate pole to power switch illumination and a pole for power out. I'll try to look sometime today and find the one you need.

Now If you want the ability to use accessories with key off there has been plenty of debate about the best way. Regardless of how you do it you will definitely want a master kill switch.

I think the best way/ what offers the most flexibility is the way that @ohannacreek did his and hondasxs was referring to. Use a dual position master switch that controls your panel.

Master switch
Up- switch panel on power anytime
Middle- off
Down- switch panel on only if key is on.

Use the master to control a solenoid and a fuse block so that the master isn't carrying all the load

H

Hardscrabble

Jun 18, 2019
Maine
Ownership

1. 700-4
You can tie the switch light wire into the headlight wire (headlight wire is black/white on a 700, not sure if it's the same on the 1K). That way, the switch light only comes on when you turn on the headlights.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
You can tie the switch light wire into the headlight wire (headlight wire is black/white on a 700, not sure if it's the same on the 1K). That way, the switch light only comes on when you turn on the headlights.
Yes, Just the backlights will be fine.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

X

Xbow

May 24, 2019
Washington State
Ownership

1. 500
I have OTRATTW switches.

Want them lite when the key is on. Also want the ability to take the same switch and turn on the accessory while the ignition is off (and key 1/2 way)
I just finished wiring up some lights on my P5. What I did was to buy a power relay switch from NAPA. Wired into the power outlet plug under the dash. (keyed power is supplied through the mostly white wire) then used the the power out from the relay and tied into a buss bar under the hood. It has 5 different studs that you can tie into. I used two separate buss bars. One for hot, the other for ground. The power for the relay main line is supplied with battery power. The relay is good for 30 to 40 amps. I used 10 gauge wire for the supply to the relay. 12 gauge would work also. Just wanted to make sure. I then ran a 6 slot fuse box in series so I simply run a separate wire from the buss bar to each fuse in the fuse box then out to whatever light or whatever you want to power. All fuses are easily checked this way. I run LED lights so they don't use much power. The buss bar is powered only with the key on this way. No way to run the battery down by accident if the light switch is left on. You will not over draw power from the keyed source this way either. The relay does all the work. I put a 4 gang rocker switch panel just to the right of the 2/4 wheel drive lever. It fit nicely just above the marked cutouts under the dash. (there are 3 cutouts marked in the plastic on the inside of the dash just to the right of the 2/4 lever. I fit the 4 gang panel just above these. I used the Carling Contoura panel from ebay store. These are a modular type panel that you just buy the two ends (left and right) and two center pieces. The led lighted rocker switchs from ebay fit these nicely. You can buy just about any marked switch you want. I used the Sasquatch one for my side lights and a rear light switch. A winch control switch (which I also used a led on/off rocker switch on so the winch switch couldn't be accidentally engaged when you don't want it to). And I used a front led switch for the front light bar. All from Harbor Freight. What i looked for was a switch that not only lit up when turned on but also had back lighting when the key was turned on. Much easier to find at night.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!