Long distance cruising? How would a pioneer or talon do?

S

Suselman92

Jun 21, 2020
Indiana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
My dad and I are looking at purchasing pioneer 1000s or talons and we are really curious how they would do on long distance rides, where we live they allow quads and side by sides. We would be doing 80-100 mile runs cruising a steady 40-45 mph. Would they handle it? No one has given us a yes or no if they would be ok doing long cruises at 40ish

Last edited:
Reactions: Biteme and Isaiah
BrophyCreek

BrophyCreek

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 8, 2016
New Richmond, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Either would handle it just fine. I do runs like that all the time with my Pioneer 3086334c309f4de30c3f808d2b51a0cc

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
The strength of both is their paddle shifter, instead of listening to the CVT controlled RPM all day, (which is set up for maximum HP by design, so the rpm have to be up), I just 'paddle up' until 'it won't take anymore' (the computer won't let you upshift too far). I LOVE this feature and use it constantly when I'm cruising. The computer also won't let you lug the engine down too far, it'll downshift for you, even in manual mode.

fwiw: at 7500+ foot altitude (leaner jetting), I get 20 mpg times the 7.3 gallon tank = 146 miles on a tank. There's a simple mod to up the tank capacity to 8.6 gallons (remove the supplemental fuel inlet tube which traps an air bubble). I ran completely out of gas at 173 miles with the added capacity (intentionally, to check range).

S

Suselman92

Jun 21, 2020
Indiana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Do you happen to know what the difference in engines between the pioneer and talon? They look identical but the 30hp difference makes me wonder what all is changed, would you happen to know what rpm your pioneer is at 40mph?

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Do you happen to know what the difference in engines between the pioneer and talon? They look identical but the 30hp difference makes me wonder what all is changed, would you happen to know what rpm your pioneer is at 40mph?
I just learned one of the reasons is the restrictor plate used on the Pioneer to cut HP (yep, just like NASCAR) and the Talon's will bolt right in its place for <$30 IIRC (if I remember correctly).

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The strength of both is their paddle shifter, instead of listening to the CVT controlled RPM all day, (which is set up for maximum HP by design, so the rpm have to be up), I just 'paddle up' until 'it won't take anymore' (the computer won't let you upshift too far). I LOVE this feature and use it constantly when I'm cruising. The computer also won't let you lug the engine down too far, it'll downshift for you, even in manual mode.

fwiw: at 7500+ foot altitude (leaner jetting), I get 20 mpg times the 7.3 gallon tank = 146 miles on a tank. There's a simple mod to up the tank capacity to 8.6 gallons (remove the supplemental fuel inlet tube which traps an air bubble). I ran completely out of gas at 173 miles with the added capacity (intentionally, to check range).
Now I REALLY am pissed. I usually only get 10mpg at the best on the P1K5 with 30 LESS HP!

russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
I've gone on some long rides, a few in excess of 100 miles. The seat is the biggest drawback. It's hard on the old rear after a while. Other than that, I ride in manual mode to keep the rpms as low as possible and I've never had an issue.

russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
I just learned one of the reasons is the restrictor plate used on the Pioneer to cut HP (yep, just like NASCAR) and the Talon's will bolt right in its place for <$30 IIRC (if I remember correctly).

Do you have a part number for that?

advertisement
russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
BTW,

I'm at sea level running 15" light truck tires and I get 25-30 mpg depending on how fast I ride. What is the "supplemental fuel inlet tube?"

Reactions: Biteme
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
BTW,

I'm at sea level running 15" light truck tires and I get 25-30 mpg depending on how fast I ride. What is the "supplemental fuel inlet tube?"
25-30 BigOL3 ain't gonna be happy. :(

The Talon has an inner tube in the filler neck, it traps an air bubble, limiting the tank's capacity to 7.3 gallons (Honda's number, I never confirmed it). Removing that inlet tube lets you fill the tank right up to the top. There are some who experience a fuel smell when doing this but I've been syphoning gas most of my life so I was willing to put up with that for the extra rumored gallon. I've filled up 4 times since removing mine and haven't experienced this but you should be aware of the possibility. I bought the Talon for exploring the southwest desert, I need all the fuel I can get onboard.

What I did was to run mine completely out of gas (including the last little bit sitting on the trailer, so EMPTY). It took 8.612 gallons to fill, I gained 1.3 gallons - YAY. :cool:

This - (note that I terminally tweaked mine getting it out)
I Nk4zM2Z M

used to live here -
I MvPfpbm M

Last edited:
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Do you have a part number for that?
It's your lucky day, I found the thread.

GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV

The Talon has larger everything.
Larger air box and filter
Shorter and fatter intake plenum/tubes
Bigger throttle body adapter
Bigger throttle bodies
Bigger injectors
More aggressive camshaft
Factory CNC ported head
Teflon treated piston skirts
Oil coolers skirting the pistons
Larger header tubbing diameter
Higher flowing muffler

I think that about cover's it what they actually got in common is bore and stroke.
I haven't got to play with a Talon head yet I put the ported head in the list because Honda claims it is ported.

russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
25-30 BigOL3 ain't gonna be happy. :(

The Talon has an inner tube in the filler neck, it traps an air bubble, limiting the tank's capacity to 7.3 gallons (Honda's number, I never confirmed it). Removing that inlet tube lets you fill the tank right up to the top. There are some who experience a fuel smell when doing this but I've been syphoning gas most of my life so I was willing to put up with that for the extra rumored gallon. I've filled up 4 times since removing mine and haven't experienced this but you should be aware of the possibility. I bought the Talon for exploring the southwest desert, I need all the fuel I can get onboard.

What I did was to run mine completely out of gas (including the last little bit sitting on the trailer, so EMPTY). It took 8.612 gallons to fill, I gained 1.3 gallons - YAY. :cool:

This - (note that I terminally tweaked mine getting it out)
View attachment 208987

used to live here -
View attachment 208988

Thank you. Now, my mileage will drop to the 20 range if i'm running 55-60 mph on the highway, but it does a lot better than that just cruising around.

Reactions: Biteme and CID
Sarbuck

Sarbuck

Sep 29, 2018
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Either one will do those long rides. We have a P15K and ride all day on trails, dirt roads, paved roads, etc. If I was thinking about a Pioneer versus a Talon, I'd think about what I'm going to do with the machine. If only going for long rides and only 1-2 people, get the Talon. Seats are race car style and have to be more comfortable for all day riding...pure fun. However, if you might want to take more than 2, or do some work, get the Pioneer. Seats not as comfy but just fine for all day riding and more capacity and capability. The Pioneer has a dump bed and is meant for work and also for rides. We take three of us and the dogs in the back, then use for spraying, hauling, all sorts of things around home. The Pioneer is a Leatherman, whereas the Talon is a specialty knife.

S

ScottG

Aug 31, 2018
Far North Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My dad and I are looking at purchasing pioneer 1000s or talons and we are really curious how they would do on long distance rides, where we live they allow quads and side by sides. We would be doing 80-100 mile runs cruising a steady 40-45 mph. Would they handle it? No one has given us a yes or no if they would be ok doing long cruises at 40ish
If you are a tall individual be sure you are going to be comfortable in the Talon’s cockpit. I’m 6’4” and there is no way I could ride in the Talon for a 120 mile ride.... Pioneer’s bench type seat gives us big boys some wiggle room....
Size matters....

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!