P1000 -Looking for advise- 2020 1000-3 pioneer needs shocks!

T

TPWA83

Hey folks! So I have a few questions, why is it that when I look for a set of the fox shocks that come on the high end pioneer I only find pairs front shocks for sale? Are the fronts the same as the rear?

I am looking for new set was thinking of the rough country set (one of the only full sets of 4 I have found). I have 32” carnivores on my rig with super ATV A-arms extended wheel base 3” and I am getting some run in the front. They cleared just fine about 500 miles ago but now I am rubbing.

I would appreciate any advice you guys that have had alternative shocks, and what knowledge you have on the subject.

thank you,
Tyson

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Hey folks! So I have a few questions, why is it that when I look for a set of the fox shocks that come on the high end pioneer I only find pairs front shocks for sale? Are the fronts the same as the rear?

I am looking for new set was thinking of the rough country set (one of the only full sets of 4 I have found). I have 32” carnivores on my rig with super ATV A-arms extended wheel base 3” and I am getting some run in the front. They cleared just fine about 500 miles ago but now I am rubbing.

I would appreciate any advice you guys that have had alternative shocks, and what knowledge you have on the subject.

thank you,
Tyson
32's Wow! I rub in the rear at full squat with 30's and SATV arms. I run Elka's and that's all I'm going to say.

T

TPWA83

yea 32s! I primarily ride in the snow sow I need ground clearance and floatation.

thanks for the info, I have looked at the Elka shocks but just thought that the factory fox shocks might be an option.

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5

thank you,
Tyson
The fronts are not the same as the back shocks. The Fox shocks have been hard to get for a year. Idk how the supply is now. I put them on my 2018 1000-5 this year. The ride is much improved. A lot less bottoming out like the stock shocks but these still do from time to time when I'm running hard through rough terrain. I also changed out the springs to single rate. 250 lbs front and 300 rear. There is tons of info on these fox shocks if you search up top

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Adjustable shocks could also gain you a little lift using pre load. I would wager your setup even with elka 5s would not be the best a pioneer could be. The tires are very large and under compression you will always rub unless you move your control arms out for more clearance or use the floorboard mod mentioned above. Having the best shocks money can buy won't help your ride quality when you are bottoming out on your own tires.

With that being said, I would recommend the cheapest options first if you do not consider changing your tire size in the future.

Last edited:
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Adjustable shocks could also gain you a little lift using pre load. I would wager your setup even with elka 5s would not be the best a pioneer could be. The tires are very large and under compression you will always rub unless you move your control arms out for more clearance or use the floorboard mod mentioned above. Having the best shocks money can buy won't help your ride quality when you are bottoming out on your own tires.
Ditto. Too big a tire.

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Thanks all, really appreciate the feed back! Going down in tire size is not an option for me. The depth of snow I ride in really demands a big tire!

View attachment 364431
If you have the stock shocks on now, you can try a spring spacer just to see if that would help a bit (cheap mod) you can get close to 2" of ground clearance from adding spring load that way. I'm not sure on 32s but on 30s most guys rub at full turn/compression unless they add lots of pre-load or a lift as well. Adding a lift messes with the suspension geometry though.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Thanks all, really appreciate the feed back! Going down in tire size is not an option for me. The depth of snow I ride in really demands a big tire!

View attachment 364431
Sounds like you need tracks! 🤔

Down one tire size wont kill you. I have same tire in 30’s on my Talon and they bite just as good in sugar sand and thats worse than the snow. And we get plenty of snow here. Without some kind of tune or gear reduction, your slowly putting a strain on your drivetrain with those 32’s. I said slowly! I also have 30’s in my P1K5 and no issues there as well. I have the same set up but with Fox’s and a different spring rate. Do u have spacers? That would also help u with those arms. What do u mean by extened wheel base by 3”? Are u talking about and taking in acct od the arms being forward 3”?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!