P1000m5 Looking for our 1000

C

Ctimrun

Sep 10, 2015
Spend most of our time in Idaho, and (unfortunately) still spend some time in California due to family who haven't come to their senses yet. I am looking for a camo 1000 to buy but haven't found one just yet. I am hoping some dealers around southeast Idaho get some in spring.

I was browsing the SoCal dealers web sites and see the dealers down there claim to have some in stock. I don't like buying toys (or much of anything) in California due to emissions crap and higher taxes, but also saw on Honda's site that the California models have a lower payload capacity than other 49 states models, anyone know why?

Have to make a trip down there next month and if nothing else may stop by a dealer that has a camo in stock to check it out.

CBC89

CBC89

Aug 8, 2015
Spend most of our time in Idaho, and (unfortunately) still spend some time in California due to family who haven't come to their senses yet. I am looking for a camo 1000 to buy but haven't found one just yet. I am hoping some dealers around southeast Idaho get some in spring.

I was browsing the SoCal dealers web sites and see the dealers down there claim to have some in stock. I don't like buying toys (or much of anything) in California due to emissions crap and higher taxes, but also saw on Honda's site that the California models have a lower payload capacity than other 49 states models, anyone know why?

Have to make a trip down there next month and if nothing else may stop by a dealer that has a camo in stock to check it out.
There are extra parts on the engine and exhaust system to meet requirements. This required the springs on the shocks to be adjusted to allow room for these parts. The Springs are on the shocks are not rated as high due to this change and therefore payload is lower to make sure these parts do not get in a bind when fully loaded.

C

Ctimrun

Sep 10, 2015
Makes sense, thanks for the info. Will probably waste some time looking down there but will definitely buy up north somewhere.

tig

tig

Apr 22, 2015
There are extra parts on the engine and exhaust system to meet requirements. This required the springs on the shocks to be adjusted to allow room for these parts. The Springs are on the shocks are not rated as high due to this change and therefore payload is lower to make sure these parts do not get in a bind when fully loaded.

Kinda. There actually aren't any extra engine or exhaust parts that I can tell from the parts fiche, but the rear springs are different. I'm pretty sure the reason is that Cali has different regulations for "off-road sport vehicles" vs "off-road utility vehicles" and one of those is the payload capacity. Basically if it goes over 600lbs then it's a utility vehicle and it's limited to 30kW which equals 40hp. The descriptions are below. The came from here http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/offroad/orrec/ohrv_regs.pdf

(17) “Off-Road Sport Vehicle” means any off-highway motor vehicle that has all of the following features and characteristics: designed to travel on four wheels, having bench or bucket seating for one or more persons, having a steering wheel for steering control, designed for operation over rough terrain, having a rear payload not exceeding 600 pounds, having an internal combustion engine with a displacement less than or equal to one liter, and is capable of speeds 25 miles per hour or more. Vehicles otherwise meeting the definition for sand cars but powered by an engine with a displacement less than or equal to one liter are considered off-road sport vehicles.

(18) “Off-Road Utility Vehicle” means any off-highway motor vehicle that has all of the following features and characteristics: designed to travel on four or more wheels, having bench or bucket seating for two or more persons, having a steering wheel for steering control, designed for operation over rough terrain, having an internal combustion engine with a displacement less than or equal to one liter, having a maximum brake power less than or equal to 30 kilowatts, capable of speeds 25 miles per hour or more, and having either 1) a rear payload of 350 pounds or more, or 2) seating for six or more passengers.

CBC89

CBC89

Aug 8, 2015
Kinda. There actually aren't any extra engine or exhaust parts that I can tell from the parts fiche, but the rear springs are different. I'm pretty sure the reason is that Cali has different regulations for "off-road sport vehicles" vs "off-road utility vehicles" and one of those is the payload capacity. Basically if it goes over 600lbs then it's a utility vehicle and it's limited to 30kW which equals 40hp. The descriptions are below. The came from here http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/offroad/orrec/ohrv_regs.pdf
Good Looking out, this was just what I was told. This seems to be dead on.

C

Ctimrun

Sep 10, 2015
Good info. I'm surprised they actually put different springs on it, not just another yellow sticker limiting the payload. Gotta love California (NOT).

Reactions: joeymt33
C

Ctimrun

Sep 10, 2015
Off topic from my original post but where are all the camo models?! Doesn't appear to be any camo models up north where I'm at or down in SoCal where I'm visiting soon.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!