100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What do you treat your dogs with, do you do any kind of natural homeopathic stuff, or do you treat them with a topical or chewable treatment to control ticks and fleas? I used to get everything from the vet, but I can’t really afford to go there and they always charge way too much. Obviously there are a lot of choices on Amazon but it’s hard to make a decision on any one thing and not really knowing what is helpful and or versus harmful I thought I would ask all of y’all and see what you guys do for your furry family members. Thank you
E7027C99 EEDF 4F22 8717 DD5BC94A1D43

Mark in Northern Iowa

Mark in Northern Iowa

Club Contributor
Oct 20, 2021
Floyd County, Iowa
kramnella.wixsite.com
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Nice looking dogs. 👍
I do not use anything on our dogs, anymore.
We live in the country, 40 Acres, mostly woodland, so fleas abound on the woodland animals.
When I came home to Iowa in 2007, the fleas were so bad in the house, I almost burned it down. Sit on the couch, watch em jump on your arms. Do not walk in the basement without long pants on, you come up covered in the little bastards. Yes, we had it bad.
Nothing seemed to work. Tried them all, flea bombs, diatomaceous earth, flea drops, flea traps, lights above bowls of water in the basement.
Damn!!!.....Hated being in my own house.
Then I read on AgTalk about ProZap InsectrinX with Permethrin.
Flea control

Yep, I was skeptical at first. I buy it at, Theisen's, our local farm store.
A quick google search shows you can buy it online as well.
My way that worked for me and still works to this day.
1 gallon pump sprayer, mix 6 oz to 1 gallon.
When I spray, it is a mist that just puts a thin coat on the floor, every room, the furniture.
Yes, our beds also, because our dogs sleep with us.
The dog beds, I spray them until slightly damp.
The outdoor porch, the outdoor dog bed, the outdoor dog kennel/run and bed.
- At first, I sprayed every 3 days for about a month.
- Then I went to every week for a month.
- Then every 2 weeks for another month.
- Then monthly
YES, let me say that again, YES, it was a s*** ton of spraying at first.
- Now, I only spray about 5 times a year
In fall before it starts to get to cold, before the mice start finding a warm place for the winter. I will spray, and then spray again in 2 weeks.
In spring, after the rain. I will spray, and then spray again in 2 weeks.
And then sometime in the summer if I happen to think about it I will do a spray.
Yes, I have forgotten about the summer spray a few times, but have never had any fleas.
How/why does it work.....your guess is as good as mine. haha
The only thing I can think of is that fleas are always jumping. So if it jumps off the animal onto a spot that I sprayed, he dies. The pets lay in the dog bed or anywhere I sprayed, they get the chemical on them, a flea jumps on, he dies.
I really don't care how it works, but it works for us.
I can't even remember the last time I saw a flea.
It dries non slippery. There is a slight smell, so do it when you will be gone for a few hours after spraying. I asked the wife about the smell, her reply. "I don't care about the smell, the beepety beep fleas are GONE!!!!" and she doesn't normally cuss. haha
We have 4 indoor dogs, 3 Small chorkies, and 1 black lab.
They go outside, but are mainly indoor dogs.
Our outdoor dog is a German Shephard.
We do not use flea drops, or flea collars.
I do keep the grass shorter between the woods and the house, to hopefully cut down on ticks. But with the dogs roaming through the woods, they still get a tick here or there.
Wow, that got long. haha
Have a good day

Last edited:
toddvdh

toddvdh

Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2020
Green Bay, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I use Nex gard from the vet also.

My now 14 year old dog had a tick borne disease about 5 years ago where she couldn't even walk. After my vet finally figured out that it was a tick disease, he wanted me to switch away from front line (the drops behind the shoulder) He said it was around for so long that ticks were becoming immune to it.

Permethrin works great on clothes and bedding.

Bifen IT - Bifenthrin 7.9% from diypestcontrol.com works great to spray around the yard also, but you can't put it on clothing. I bought a backpack sprayer and spray a couple times per summer.

My wife bought some natural repellant with Plant-based active ingredients - geraniol, peppermint, lemongrass and clove. It works really good for gnats and mosquitos. Not sure what else it is good for, but it smells a lot nicer than Off. https://www.amazon.com/Buggins-Natural-Repellent-DEET-Free-Packaging/dp/B01FEFV162?tag=sxsweb24-20

Sometimes the natural stuff is the best.

L

Leb0wski

Supporting Member
May 5, 2023
Big D
Ownership

1. 700-4
I've been using Frontline for a long time with no issue. I think the people that have issues with it don't dose correctly or don't do it on schedule.
I've tried other things over the years like K9 Advantix, hartz, etc and they worked for about a week. I won't use anything else now. But I don't live in the woods so maybe our fleas and ticks are a bunch of wusses?

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I can vouch for permethrin use on clothes, we treat all of our shrooming clothes with it.

However, if you have a cat beware that permethrin (when wet) is very bad for them. I believe it causes liver damage. Once it's dried on, it's safe (according to what I've read.)

Hillbillytnt

Hillbillytnt

May 2, 2020
Ky
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I use heart guard and next guard in my dog. When I was a kid my grandfather doused every dog on his place with blue dragon garden dust. He dusted everything they laid on to. They hated it but they never had fleas or ticks.

Duckbum

Duckbum

Supporting Member
May 31, 2023
BCSD
Ownership

1. Looking to buy

2. 1000-5
We use simparica and it works well , I did pick up something new to help combat the the ticks Cedarcide tick shield gonna try this out also to keep the bloodsuckers at bay lol

IMG 0591

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just found this natural remedy
1/4 cup witch hazel
1/4 cup aloe Vera juice
10 drops lavender essential oil
10 drops lemon essential oil
20 drops cedar wood essential oil

mix and pour into a pump spray bottle.
I doubt it’ll cause cancer

Reactions: Smitty335

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!