P1000 Looking to buy my first Honda SxS

G

Gene700

Jun 1, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Hey,
New to the honda sxs page! I currently ride a raptor 700 but iv been considering buying a sxs! I love hondas. I grew up on a 450 Forman and a 250 recon atvs.

I have a few questions I hope you can help answer:
  • Do you have any suggestions on which pioneer to buy?
  • Any problems with any of then I should be worried about?
  • What are common parts that need to be replaced often?
Any help would be nice!

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Welcome to the club @Gene700.

Guessing you like fast, That would be the 1000 for you then. If you like tight trails the 500 is your choice. If you just want to trail ride the 700 is a perfect choice.

500 is solid. No current issues. 700 is solid too using a 15 year drive line but there are complaints on the power. The 1000 is awesome yet being the first year has had some transmission problems.

No major parts to replace. Normal wear items after some drive time. Would compare level to same as your 450.

What other questions do you have?

Reactions: JACKAL and joeymt33
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Welcome to the forum Gene.

You've posted quite a question. There are things that some will call problems and others will say it's not a problem at all. This may be the wrong way to make a SXS decision.

I would like to ask you what your needs will be in a SXS.

1: 50" or 60" width? Some trail systems are 50" max.

2: How many seats do you want? The 500 has two, the 700 has 2 or 4 and the 1000 has 3 or 5

3: do you need a dump bed?

There can be more but tell me what you think about these first 3.

Sent from my iPad 7G

G

Gene700

Jun 1, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Thanks for the quick replys and I'm not even sure where to start on the question about sxs... I would like a sxs that can do some tight trails but I don't expect to be doing the atv trails...
Iv been more leaning towards 2 to 3 seats I would just like to take a girl riding or a buddy...
I really would like the dump bed for firewood and dirt my parents would probably use it as well....
I just love the honda reliability and everything about them...
I keep hearing about the clutches in the 1000s burning up is that operator error or do they just wear out every year?

KevinSC

KevinSC

Dec 31, 2015
Thanks for the quick replys and I'm not even sure where to start on the question about sxs... I would like a sxs that can do some tight trails but I don't expect to be doing the atv trails...
Iv been more leaning towards 2 to 3 seats I would just like to take a girl riding or a buddy...
I really would like the dump bed for firewood and dirt my parents would probably use it as well....
I just love the honda reliability and everything about them...
I keep hearing about the clutches in the 1000s burning up is that operator error or do they just wear out every year?
I have a 1000 3 No regrets. I came from a Can Am Commander and I feel it has the power up to about 45 as the commander. After that the commander will walk away from it. I ride everywhere on mine, roads trails a little mud and hunt out of it. This is my first Honda product and I'm pretty impressed with it so far. I hope that helps some.

G

Gene700

Jun 1, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Thanks for the info it all helps... my problem is I like to try everything, work and play, fish and hunt, ect...

Jediwrathchild

Jediwrathchild

Apr 24, 2016
Kodiak, AK
I have the 1000-5, and it's my first SxS. We jumped in feet first knowing of potential issues being a first year model. Have zero regrets!

Have ridden with some 700s and they are great machines as well, but having less power and no low range was a deal breaker so I didn't buy one. But that's just me personally. Still an incredibly capable little machine! Won't get there fast, but will always get you there.

I really don't use the extra two seats in mine, but with the full top, it's perfect for keeping all my gear dry in the bed. As far as maintenance, just oil changes to this point. Up here in AK trail width restrictions are a non issue, because they're really not regulated or maintained by anybody but the ppl that use them.

I would suggest figuring out what exactly what you want to do with it and what type of trails you'll commonly run get the one closest to that. Aftermarket support is growing so there are ways to make each machine fit your niche even better. Ppl are doing some really cool stuff with them! Welcome to the forum!

Reactions: Gene700
Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Hey,
New to the honda sxs page! I currently ride a raptor 700 but iv been considering buying a sxs! I love hondas. I grew up on a 450 Forman and a 250 recon atvs.

I have a few questions I hope you can help answer:
  • Do you have any suggestions on which pioneer to buy?
  • Any problems with any of then I should be worried about?
  • What are common parts that need to be replaced often?
Any help would be nice!

Edited:

I am in a similar boat. I can share my research results:

#1 I really like the P1000. It costs more, but it also offers a lot more.

#2 So far, based on my research:

-the dump bed doesn't seem to dump a very heavy load, so if that is a requirement, you may need to look into a different manufacturer or be prepared to do an aftermarket fix
-there were some early reports of the DCT slipping, I firmly believe that it was a manufacturing error that has since been corrected and if you do get a unit that is doing it, Honda knows what to do to fix it and they will
-If you are running a cab, there can be a bunch of heat present due to a low pressure area created by the cab moving through the air which will pull very hot air up from the engine area and the engine is below the front seats which is something that caused issues with cab heat on other manufacturers designs some people seem to be more sensitive to it than others
-There is no parking brake, but I would assume that Honda made the parking pawl in the transmission more than adequately designed but it is probably disconcerting to hear the thump when it disengages. (Like when you take your car/truck out of park on a hill)
-Personally, I have only gotten to sit around in one several times and I wasn't thrilled with the placement of the gas pedal/brake pedal but that is more of a personal thing.

#3 I don't think it has been out long enough to find out any long term data but it doesn't seem that much breaks on it. The one that I have been looking at used at a close dealer feels much more "solid" than the Polaris and CanAm products that he also has.

ETA2:

I didn't like the P500, it just didn't feel right, it felt somehow incomplete. I didn't like the size and I didn't like the interior and I didn't like the exposed radiator, but I loved the shifting. Look up Mudd Man on Youtube, he had convinced me to buy one until I went up and tried it out. He has a lot of great videos and it is a tough machine, but make sure you try it out for yourself first.

I have a Honda Rincon now that is very similar to the P700 and I don't like the lack of low gearing which seems to be a similar complaint about the P700.

ETA3:

Of all the SXS that I have looked at personally while trying to make up my mind. Commander, Defender, Teryx, Wolverine, P500, RZR, Ranger, General and Mule, the P1000 is the only one that gave me the sensation that I was actually sitting it a "truck" rather than a SXS buggy. It feels very "tough", if I can convey a touchy feely emotional response through a anonymous forum.

If that matters, for you, of course. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 500 and Hondasxs
Jbird

Jbird

Jan 6, 2016
Mena, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We have a new P1000-5 seater. Only have 3 days use on it and so far no problems except for the heat under the front seat which so far is tolerable with no front windshield. Won't worry about a windshield till fall. Also plan to order the heat shield a guy on this forum is selling. We love this unit and am still getting used to it. Having come from ATVs the shear size of this thing is eye opening. The trails around here are tight and it would be nice to have a P-500 just for trail riding. The fact that the bed does not dump with a heavy load doesn't bother me because the bed height it just right to take logs directly off bed and set right on my horizontal log splitter on a stand. This thing is too pretty and too expensive to use for a gravel hauler so I'm good. Not a hint of clutch problems so far but I haven't even got to the first oil change yet. If you are a young guy who mainly wants to trail ride with your girlfriend and haul a little fire wood for your folks, I would get the P500 and put a golf cart box with a tailgate on the back.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
amc019

amc019

Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2016
Little Rock, Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome to the forum Gene.

You've posted quite a question. There are things that some will call problems and others will say it's not a problem at all. This may be the wrong way to make a SXS decision.

I would like to ask you what your needs will be in a SXS.

1: 50" or 60" width? Some trail systems are 50" max.

2: How many seats do you want? The 500 has two, the 700 has 2 or 4 and the 1000 has 3 or 5

3: do you need a dump bed?

There can be more but tell me what you think about these first 3.

Sent from my iPad 7G

lol @ "dump bed." Better be careful with that terminology. :rolleyes::D

Anyway, get the 1000. I think most men, because of our nature, will always wonder "what if" when we don't get the biggest and baddest machine we can realistically acquire, which will leave you wanting more. I came from a 1000XP RZR and I haven't regretted it for a second because I use it so much more on a regular basis on the farm. The RZR was worthless to that extent. Less fun to drive on the trails, but still extremely fun and relaxing. I find myself enjoying the scenery and the actual outdoors more than I did in the RZR because I'm not hauling ass everywhere. Can't wait to see how it does during deer and duck season this Fall.

Also, I got the 5 seater but really treat it as a 3 seat on most occasions. In today's world, I think 4-5 seat SXS's retain their resale value more than 2-3 seaters.

Reactions: joeymt33
advertisement
G

Gene700

Jun 1, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I like hearing all the diffrent points everyone has it really helps the choosing factors. I have read alot of the pages on this forum and what people have done to there machines, because I have done my research on all of the pioneers.

G

Gene700

Jun 1, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
If there is anyone going to trucks gone wild in hale michigan this year I would love to check out your hondas!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!