P1000 Moose or EMP winch mount

MC_Crowbar

MC_Crowbar

Lifetime Member
Mar 4, 2018
McAlester, OK
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looking to add a winch to my 1000-5. Of the mount options I've read about on here (OEM, KFI, SuperATV, EMP & Moose), I like the winch orientation and cable exit angle of the EMP and Moose mounts. I haven't actually seen any pictures of either of those though. I was hoping anyone using either mount could comment on any pro/cons/impressions and maybe provide some pictures. Right now I'm planning to go with the SuperWinch Terra 45-SR.

tnoice

tnoice

Aug 25, 2017
Champaign
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I pulled my KFI mount and ended up with the Moose winch mount and it is much better. Great mount and highly recommended. Have not used the EMP mount, so I can not comment on that one.

Reactions: MC_Crowbar
OnTheJob

OnTheJob

Dec 29, 2017
Bristol, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Viper Elite #5,000 widespool winch on a viper mount. It mounts the winch upside down and pretty high up U-bolted to the frame. It's almost a straight line out through the Hawse fairlead. The line exiting the winch is probably an inch lower than the fairlead opening on a horizontal line. Pretty solid and universal mount. Viper Elite widespool comes with a 65' synthetic line and a wireless remote.

IMG 5159

IMG 5167

MC_Crowbar

MC_Crowbar

Lifetime Member
Mar 4, 2018
McAlester, OK
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I pulled my KFI mount and ended up with the Moose winch mount and it is much better. Great mount and highly recommended. Have not used the EMP mount, so I can not comment on that one.
Given that the KFI seems to be pretty popular, I'm happy to hear that you rank the Moose above it, a little surprised even. Thank you!

MC_Crowbar

MC_Crowbar

Lifetime Member
Mar 4, 2018
McAlester, OK
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Viper Elite #5,000 widespool winch on a viper mount. It mounts the winch upside down and pretty high up U-bolted to the frame. It's almost a straight line out through the Hawse fairlead. The line exiting the winch is probably an inch lower than the fairlead opening on a horizontal line. Pretty solid and universal mount. Viper Elite widespool comes with a 65' synthetic line and a wireless remote.

Would the Viper mount fit the Superwinch you think?

Last edited:
J

jmcampbell54

Feb 3, 2018
Texas
What is the largest winch that will fit a kfi mount?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MC_Crowbar

MC_Crowbar

Lifetime Member
Mar 4, 2018
McAlester, OK
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I went ahead and ordered the Moose mount last night. I'll let y'all know what I think when I get it installed. I'll see about doing a write up and post some pictures too. I appreciate the info guys!

Reactions: JTW
J

Jimmy-AZ

Lifetime Member
May 9, 2017
Gold Canyon, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I went ahead and ordered the Moose mount last night. I'll let y'all know what I think when I get it installed. I'll see about doing a write up and post some pictures too. I appreciate the info guys!
Let us know how this works for you and the winch. Any mounting issues, bolting it down into the Honda frame, winch cable feed, binding etc?

We are always looking for a better application

Sent from my SM-T818V using Tapatalk

Reactions: MC_Crowbar and JTW
MC_Crowbar

MC_Crowbar

Lifetime Member
Mar 4, 2018
McAlester, OK
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I finally finished getting the winch installed yesterday. The Moose mount was simple and seems very solid, I'm happy with it so far.

Here's how the install went:

First I ran a 4ga ground wire to the engine ground location that the factory battery uses. Since my 2016 P1000M5 is new and still has a warranty, I thought it best to mimic the factory winch install as much as possible. I plan to add an aux battery in the future and can reuse this wire for the planned ground buss bar. I removed the seat, seat back (which ended up being unnecessary), and the plastic panel between the two to gain better access to the ground bolt. The bolt is painted yellow and is on the crank case below the intake.
Underseat1 Ground closeup
I routed the wire along the factory harness, zip-tying near the factory anchors. Unlike the factory winch instructions, that have you pull nearly every body panel off the machine, I just dropped the front skid plate and had sufficient access for running and securing the wire.
Wire route1 Wire route2 Wire route3 New closeup
I was originally going to fab up a bracket to mount the solenoid in the factory location, but ended up mounting to the right of the battery as others have done by drilling two holes and using a piece of 1-1/2" wide aluminum cut to length for a backer plate. When removing the plastic panel between the seat bottom and back, there's an extra push pin to the rear on the driver's side that's unlike the rest of the factory pins. It was troublesome to remove, so here's some pictures if it helps anyone else trying to pull it.
Pushpin1 Pushpin2 Pushpin3
Next, I removed the front bumper. Of the four upper bolts, one was missing and one was installed cross-threaded. I bought some class 10.9 replacement bolts and used one in the forward hole on both sides since those go through the Moose mount.
Bumperbolts
I attached the mount to the forward mounting holes, and attempted to align it before tightening. Upon reassembly, I found out it had moved, so just bear in mind that no matter how much effort you give to aligning the mount, it'll shift once the winch is mounted. The gap in the mount to the rear concerned me, until I realized that was to clear the nuts welded to the frame.
Mount1
I turned the bumper up-side-down to mount the winch. I seem to have an issue with over-torquing fasteners and ended up ruining one of the bolts included with the winch (hence one missing in the pic). Since I had to buy replacement bolts for the frame above, I bought 4 class 10.9 bolts (I bought these 5mm longer than original), flat washers, split washers and nuts for the winch. I went ahead and replaced the four square captured nuts in the winch too, which wasn't fun, but I feel better about the mounting (especially since it hangs). I had to insert screwdrivers in the space with the nuts to prevent them from spinning since hex nuts were smaller than the original square ones.
Winch1
Once the bumper was back in place [quick note - I ended up using 2 long extensions, 1 short, and a knuckle to get the rear nuts on to secure the mount per the instructions], I mounted the solenoid and circuit breaker, tapped the aux wire for the switch, routed the yellow and blue winch wires, and wired everything together.
Under hood1
I'll cut the blue and yellow wire to length once I acquire some 6ga ring lugs. I also plan to use some HD velcro to mount the circuit break over the battery and then cut the positive wires to length. Until I get to dash-mounting switches, I'm using the included rocker switch that I mounted to the ROPS above and to the left of the steering wheel, ran the wire down the bar and back to under the hood.I ran the yellow and blue wires to the winch down the frame bar left of the radiator (driver's side), being carefull that its clear of the fan and not touching the radiator.
Wire route4
I'm happy with the final product, and will be even happier once I get the wiring situation cleaned up. The angle of the winch cable is almost completely straight. Its a tight spot, but I got the best picture I could. The rope does angle up slightly, in fact it touched the mount ever so slightly. The hole in the bumper is pretty tall, so I think I'll end up moving the hawse down 3/4" to an inch, as far as I can, drill new holes, and that should eliminate an remaining angle.
Final1 Line angle1

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!