MUV 700 transmission/ oil pressure problem

B

Beechwood

Apr 2, 2015
Have a 09 Big Red in a Honda shop with low oil pressure that allows the engine to race and not fully engage the transmission. Has around 1100 hrs on it and the oil and filter element were not contaminated with anything when I recently changed out the oil. They have installed a new oil pump and told me this did not help. the shop is about to split the case apart to check the sump pickup and anything else that could be wrong which they estimate at 12 hrs labor. I don't believe this is the only one of these that have done this. If someone else has had this issue serviced I would like to know what was found to have caused it. Thanks if you can share anything on this.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Can you tell me more about this? What in fact do you mean?
Beechwood said:
allows the engine to race and not fully engage the transmission. .

Do you mean that it revs up when you crank it?

B

Beechwood

Apr 2, 2015
What? The engine revs when the clutch is not engaged, races away from the transmission because the oil pressure drops too low to engage or keep the clutch engaged. I stopped by the shop today, they wanted me to stop in to show me what they found. The pickup sump screen for the transmission was covered with something that prevented/ restricted the flow to the pump. Piston and cylinder had excessive wear probably from the stuff that covered the sump screen, not sure. I collected the substance from the screen but not sure what to do about finding out where it came from or what it is. It was only a small amount of material and everything else in it was clean. I told them to order parts to fix it.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I asked because I know it want engage if it is at a too high rpm from start. I have experienced this many times on my Rincon while deep water riding. at times when I keep rpm's high and change gears. I have to let off the throttle to get it to engage.

If it had high rpm right at start up, it could be something else as I have had that too.

But I'm glad they found the problem.

C

cliffrod

Aug 29, 2021
Arizona
Ownership

1. Big Red
What? The engine revs when the clutch is not engaged, races away from the transmission because the oil pressure drops too low to engage or keep the clutch engaged. I stopped by the shop today, they wanted me to stop in to show me what they found. The pickup sump screen for the transmission was covered with something that prevented/ restricted the flow to the pump. Piston and cylinder had excessive wear probably from the stuff that covered the sump screen, not sure. I collected the substance from the screen but not sure what to do about finding out where it came from or what it is. It was only a small amount of material and everything else in it was clean. I told them to order parts to fix it.
I have a 2010 big red with low oil pressure. I found the pickup screen plugged with clutch material. Did your repair involve replacing the clutch discs?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!