Navigating - Finding your way on the trail systems

tincangob

tincangob

Nov 30, 2017
Central Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
We've only done a little riding on our Wisconsin trail system and we used local maps to figure out how to navigate the maze of trails. We've just bought a new S X S (Honda 1000) and plan on doing quite a bit of riding and planning trips. What do most people use to navigate the trails, and to plan their routes?

I know there it a trail system book available for $35, there must be GPS alternatives, and I think I've seen some smart phone alternatives. I would guess that some choices are better and more popular than others, and rather than just buying something I'd like to ask the general question.

Looking for advice. Thanks

Reactions: sharp
educ8tedguess

educ8tedguess

Lifetime Member
Oct 16, 2015
Spring Grove Illinois
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
I've been looking into this as well. I have a Garmin GPSMAP 64ST on it's way and am hoping it will help. I have been looking online at the different map's that can be purchased for GPS units and am going to try a couple out once I have everything I need. Having spent quite a bit of time riding in Wisconsin, my fear is that the maps will be all the snowmobile trails and flat's but very little in the way of nice wooded trails.

One thing I have tried is "backcountry navigator" on my android phone. It does a good job tracking where you have been but I ran into issues when cell reception was spotty and I couldn't download what was needed.

VenturaChuck

VenturaChuck

Apr 22, 2016
Ventura, CA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We've only done a little riding on our Wisconsin trail system and we used local maps to figure out how to navigate the maze of trails. We've just bought a new S X S (Honda 1000) and plan on doing quite a bit of riding and planning trips. What do most people use to navigate the trails, and to plan their routes?

I know there it a trail system book available for $35, there must be GPS alternatives, and I think I've seen some smart phone alternatives. I would guess that some choices are better and more popular than others, and rather than just buying something I'd like to ask the general question.

I already had a Garmin Zumo 660 for my Honda Gold Wing. I just got another mounting setup plug it in to the cigarette lighter plug on my P1k. Every trail BLM, USFS, etc is shown along with all the public streets. I, also, use in my RV getting to the riding area.

Reactions: ohanacreek
Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
Get a GPS of your liking (I personally like the Garmin Montana) and then get the onXmap chip for it. You can buy the maps by state or the whole U.S.. I am a GPS junkie and the Montana so far has been my favorite and I have used every type of Topo maps you can find and the onXmap is by far the best. You can then download (no cost) the Garmin Base Camp and after your rides transfer your tracks for the GPS to the software so you can see where you have been. You can also click on the view tool bar on Base Camp and it will send your tracks to Google Earth to view.

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If there is a paper map somewhere for it, try Maplets on your cell phone and search through their database for the map you are looking for. This app overlays your gps location on a digital version of the paper maps. This has worked well for me in established areas. When it’s not a mapped out trail system I use MotionX-GPS on my phone. It doesn’t need cell service to work and I usually just drop breadcrumbs so I can find my way back. I also add waypoints when I find things I like or don’t like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: sharp
nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you are riding with a group, the Polaris ride command app for your cell phone works well also. You can create a group and see everyone on the map at the same time. This will help prevent getting lost. If the group spreads out for dust or slower riders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

Trapper5885

Jul 4, 2017
North Idaho
Another option if interested is to go to Avenza maps , and go to getting started and it’ll help you out a lot , you can get all and every forest service road and trails , atv and motorcycle trails as well , Topo maps that are very detailed . Just down load on iPhone or iPad take them with you . A lot of the maps are free and some cost a buck or two .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Well son youve come to the right place. I use vv maping. Gps routes in a garmin Montana 680. And the map book. In Wisconsin. Same as you.

Reactions: trigger

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!