Trail cam theft

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
My neighbor lets a guy bowhunt on his property and I had the memory card stolen out of one of my cams and an entire cam stolen all on the same day. I confronted the neighbor And the hunter himself and all I got was denial, denial, denial. I confronted the hunter the next day while he was in his stand and he denied taking them and said he feels its bad karma to do something like that yet he leaves plastic bags and snack wrappers all over. I think that proves his true character and he does not believe in karma and stole my stuff. Anyone else deal with this kind of crap? What is the least expensive way of preventing theft? I thought about putting an apple air tag inside of the next one but that wont stop them from just taking the card.

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
losing battle, ive had memory cards taken multiple times but never the camera - they have not been on my property - these were all non-cell cameras. hunting spots are sacred, I've never done it, but get pissed for no reason when I see a camera off my property close to where I am hunting. its public - they have every right equal to me to be there.

all my cams are now cellular - I put a little note inside the setup area "I have your pic - want to be facebook famous?". (I don't even a facebook account - lol). I engrave my name and phone number into the plastic. you can pop for the GPS cell units that give location as option. don't put in obvious easy to spot locations - bury in deadfalls with limbs around, etc.. - won't guarantee s*** but will reduce the risk of being spotted

unless I have proof, accusations are bad - it is better to ask - anyone see somebody lurking around?

is this your property?

if you must, just set up a second camera that is well hidden to get a pic of the camera you think will be nabbed.

good luck.

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
losing battle, ive had memory cards taken multiple times but never the camera - they have not been on my property - these were all non-cell cameras. hunting spots are sacred, I've never done it, but get pissed for no reason when I see a camera off my property close to where I am hunting. its public - they have every right equal to me to be there.

all my cams are now cellular - I put a little note inside the setup area "I have your pic - want to be facebook famous?". (I don't even a facebook account - lol). I engrave my name and phone number into the plastic. you can pop for the GPS cell units that give location as option. don't put in obvious easy to spot locations - bury in deadfalls with limbs around, etc.. - won't guarantee s*** but will reduce the risk of being spotted

unless I have proof, accusations are bad - it is better to ask - anyone see somebody lurking around?

is this your property?

if you must, just set up a second camera that is well hidden to get a pic of the camera you think will be nabbed.

good luck.
The cameras were on my property. They trespassed to get to them. I suspect he took the card first and then spotted the 2nd camera that was pointed at it and thought " well I gotta take that one too cuzz it saw me take the card"
The neighbor said "unless you have video proof we dont think the hunter took them"

Reactions: Plumber32 and Rdrcr
Buckshot07

Buckshot07

Dec 31, 2020
PA
Ownership

1. 700-4
Friend had a few stolen.
He has gone to mainly all cell cameras since and takes a ladder with him and mounts them 10-12’ off the ground.
….if someone is going to steal them, it will take some work and there is a chance of a picture being sent while in the act.

The Green Goat

The Green Goat

LGBTQ Compliance Officer -Lotta gays in this place
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
Yup. Had some stolen on public land. I generally defend hunters, but more hunters than not end up Fing with them in some way if they spot them. I'm convinced the world is just full of s***heads.

I started purchasing Tactacam Pros that have a GPS bulit into them. I also take a climbing stick with me and bought a bunch of like-keyed cable locks and put them about 10ft off the ground. Unfortunately, I don't get nearly the amount of triggers, but, at least they don't get stolen now. And if they do, I'll be paying them a visit.

Bighat

Bighat

Nov 25, 2021
Gallipolis Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
My neighbor lets a guy bowhunt on his property and I had the memory card stolen out of one of my cams and an entire cam stolen all on the same day. I confronted the neighbor And the hunter himself and all I got was denial, denial, denial. I confronted the hunter the next day while he was in his stand and he denied taking them and said he feels its bad karma to do something like that yet he leaves plastic bags and snack wrappers all over. I think that proves his true character and he does not believe in karma and stole my stuff. Anyone else deal with this kind of crap? What is the least expensive way of preventing theft? I thought about putting an apple air tag inside of the next one but that wont stop them from just taking the card.
This what I got. If they steal ii, it's to late, goes to the cloud. What to make sure you gett'em, put one pointing at the other. I use this for my gate entery for years, works great. It will email you or text you when motion is detected. Barn Owl Cellular Cameras

Tom_C

Tom_C

Jul 17, 2021
Virginia, USA
Ownership

1. 500
Never had one stolen, by a human. I own my land, and I had a few eaten by bears, so now all my cams are in steel boxes lag bolted to the trees. I went ahead and put locks on them, cause, why not? I got pics of a few people years ago, but now that I've owned the land for a while I haven't caught anyone on cam for probably going on 8-10 years. Knock on wood.

I know someone could still pry the box off the tree, but they'd have to work for it.

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
This what I got. If they steal ii, it's to late, goes to the cloud. What to make sure you gett'em, put one pointing at the other. I use this for my gate entery for years, works great. It will email you or text you when motion is detected. Barn Owl Cellular Cameras
Thanks for the info. I will look into these to see if I want to go that route.
I've gotten pics of hikers and atvers but only after this one guy started hunting did I have a problem so I'm pretty sure its him. I know where he lives. I will keep better track of my back woods come next hunt season.

Reactions: Buggyman and Coeus
ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Never had one stolen, by a human. I own my land, and I had a few eaten by bears, so now all my cams are in steel boxes lag bolted to the trees. I went ahead and put locks on them, cause, why not? I got pics of a few people years ago, but now that I've owned the land for a while I haven't caught anyone on cam for probably going on 8-10 years. Knock on wood.

I know someone could still pry the box off the tree, but they'd have to work for it.
I live near a national park so I get stray hikers looking for "off trail hiking" and alot of them assume the private property on my road is park also.

Reactions: Buggyman
Tom_C

Tom_C

Jul 17, 2021
Virginia, USA
Ownership

1. 500
I live near a national park so I get stray hikers looking for "off trail hiking" and alot of them assume the private property on my road is park also.

Yeah, my land borders a wildlife management area, but it's pretty rugged terrain and a long hike from any road in the WMA, but a few peeps still came through, at first. I posted the videos online and sent them to the game wardens and cops. Nothing came of it, but hopefully the word got out that they were on candid camera.

Reactions: ODAMO

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!