Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
New update March 2021...
The revised version removes the 2400cc requirement and lowers the size requirements.

Here are the requirements that may go into effect October 2021 if approved:
  • engine displacement greater than 2,400 cubic centimeters is REMOVED
  • 142 length changed to 110 inches or greater
  • overall width is still 58 inches or greater
  • overall height is still 70 inches or greater
  • maximum speed capability of 40 miles per hour or greater
  • headlamps
  • stop lamps
  • turn signal lamps
  • tail lamps
  • reflex reflectors
  • parking brakes???? Will hillibilly brake work? or does it need to be fully manual?
  • rearview mirrors
  • windshields
  • windshield wipers
  • speedometer
  • seat belts
  • vehicle identification number

BUT..
The document still contains this wording -"does not include an all-terrain vehicle" - Meaning excluded from the law.

Here is what I found on state definitions.
NC definition for a "all-terrain vehicle" is: G.S.20-4.01 ((1c))
All-Terrain Vehicle or ATV. - A motorized vehicle 50 inches or less in width that is designed to travel on three or more low-pressure tires and manufactured for off-highway use. The terms "all-terrain vehicle" or "ATV" do not include a golf cart or a utility vehicle, as defined in this section, or a riding lawnmower.

NC definition for "utility vehicle": G.S.20-4.01 (48c)
Utility Vehicle. - A motor vehicle that is (i) designed for off-road use and (ii) used for general maintenance, security, agricultural, or horticultural purposes. "Utility vehicle" does not include an all-terrain vehicle or golf cart, as defined in this section, or a riding lawn mower.

In my opinion, the Honda Pioneer does not meet the definitions of an "all-terrain vehicle" or "utility vehicle". Therefore it would be considered a "modified Utility Vehicle" and could be assigned a street-legal license.

WOOHOO...
Can't wait to roll through town in my Honda Pioneer.
lol.

Attachments

• DRS35103-NE-17B.pdf
    78.6 KB · Views: 247
Bad_bowtie

Bad_bowtie

Huge member
Lifetime Member
Jun 29, 2016
East Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
Sounds like great news Richard. Some of our backroad riding here takes us into NC on occasion, would be nice not having to worry about getting caught across the border.

Reactions: J80 and TimG
Prntckt

Prntckt

Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2020
Altoona, WI
Ownership

1. Talon X4
We need some enlightened legislators in Wisconsin to consider doing the same here.

Reactions: J80 and TimG
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Yesterday, Senate Bill 241 was signed into law by Governor Roy Cooper!

North Carolina became the 23rd state to legalize UTVs for road use in some aspect.

*This doesn’t mean you can drive your SXS or UTVs on the road quite yet lol! The effective date on the bill is October 1st, 2021 - which means that’s the time you can register and tag your SXS in NC and begin to ride it on secondary roads.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

P

Pwright29

Nov 15, 2020
North Carolina
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I thought I read something about it having to be 58 inches wide minimum. Is that correct or am l wrong?

Reactions: J80
P

Pwright29

Nov 15, 2020
North Carolina
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I hate that, l have a new Pioneer 520 ordered. Thanks for the heads up

C

ctu5000

Feb 21, 2018
Western NC/Upstate SC
Ownership

1. 700-4
Good news (I think)! I have read the amended bill and it appears that Pioneer 700's will qualify (with the appropriate modifications).
Correct?

ThunderChicken

ThunderChicken

Sep 7, 2019
BATH
Ownership

1. Talon X
NC street legal now. 1st ride last weekend. This is going to be a game changer for us.
20211010 182102

C

ctu5000

Feb 21, 2018
Western NC/Upstate SC
Ownership

1. 700-4
Sounds like you’ve gone through the process. I’m up-fitting my machine to meet the requirements now. Couple questions…

-How does the inspection and registration process work? We’ve talked to inspection stations, NCDOT officials, local Honda dealer… no one has been able to tell me how to get it done.
-If you don’t mind me asking, where did you get your insurance? I’ve used Progressive in the past for boat and motorcycle insurance, but when I tried to do an online quote for a UTV/SxS, it said they were unable to provide coverage for for those vehicles. State Farm (which insures just about everything else we own) gave a quote but it was ridiculously high.

Thanks for any input!

Reactions: J80 and JenElio
J80

J80

Lifetime Member
Dec 29, 2018
WNC
Sounds like you’ve gone through the process. I’m up-fitting my machine to meet the requirements now. Couple questions…

-How does the inspection and registration process work? We’ve talked to inspection stations, NCDOT officials, local Honda dealer… no one has been able to tell me how to get it done.
-If you don’t mind me asking, where did you get your insurance? I’ve used Progressive in the past for boat and motorcycle insurance, but when I tried to do an online quote for a UTV/SxS, it said they were unable to provide coverage for for those vehicles. State Farm (which insures just about everything else we own) gave a quote but it was ridiculously high.

Thanks for any input!
You will need one of these first and fill it out and get it notarized. They gave this paper to me at the tag office
9D57BF39 6BB1 4987 AEB8 288ACB4E40A7

Take that paper to someone you know that does inspections on cars and once you get the inspection done take it with the affidavit paper, proof of insurance, bill of sale, title and your drivers license to your tag office and take a bunch of money cause they gonna get you good

• Haha
Reactions: Kinlaw and JenElio
C

ctu5000

Feb 21, 2018
Western NC/Upstate SC
Ownership

1. 700-4
You will need one of these first and fill it out and get it notarized. They gave this paper to me at the tag office
View attachment 299823
Take that paper to someone you know that does inspections on cars and once you get the inspection done take it with the affidavit paper, proof of insurance, bill of sale, title and your drivers license to your tag office and take a bunch of money cause they gonna get you good
Thanks for the info…

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
New update March 2021...
The revised version removes the 2400cc requirement and lowers the size requirements.

Here are the requirements that may go into effect October 2021 if approved:
  • engine displacement greater than 2,400 cubic centimeters is REMOVED
  • 142 length changed to 110 inches or greater
  • overall width is still 58 inches or greater
  • overall height is still 70 inches or greater
  • maximum speed capability of 40 miles per hour or greater
  • headlamps
  • stop lamps
  • turn signal lamps
  • tail lamps
  • reflex reflectors
  • parking brakes???? Will hillibilly brake work? or does it need to be fully manual?
  • rearview mirrors
  • windshields
  • windshield wipers
  • speedometer
  • seat belts
  • vehicle identification number

BUT..
The document still contains this wording -"does not include an all-terrain vehicle" - Meaning excluded from the law.

Here is what I found on state definitions.
NC definition for a "all-terrain vehicle" is: G.S.20-4.01 ((1c))
All-Terrain Vehicle or ATV. - A motorized vehicle 50 inches or less in width that is designed to travel on three or more low-pressure tires and manufactured for off-highway use. The terms "all-terrain vehicle" or "ATV" do not include a golf cart or a utility vehicle, as defined in this section, or a riding lawnmower.

NC definition for "utility vehicle": G.S.20-4.01 (48c)
Utility Vehicle. - A motor vehicle that is (i) designed for off-road use and (ii) used for general maintenance, security, agricultural, or horticultural purposes. "Utility vehicle" does not include an all-terrain vehicle or golf cart, as defined in this section, or a riding lawn mower.

In my opinion, the Honda Pioneer does not meet the definitions of an "all-terrain vehicle" or "utility vehicle". Therefore it would be considered a "modified Utility Vehicle" and could be assigned a street-legal license.

WOOHOO...
Can't wait to roll through town in my Honda Pioneer.
lol.
I agree with your interpretation. It makes sense and seems to be the intention of lawmakers.

I assume applicants will have to obtain a state safety inspection certificate and show proof of a liability insurance policy as we do in WV.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Congrats NC... Kind of cool i am visiting my mom in Elkin, NC and there is a street legal Talon 4 seater that someone appears to be driving daily parked downtown ... at least the last two days

ThunderChicken

ThunderChicken

Sep 7, 2019
BATH
Ownership

1. Talon X
didnt have one in that picture. ive since added one.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!