BOX1

RRB Newbie - general questions - March 31-4/3 - iso riding partners?

B

Bk232

Mar 11, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
heading to RRB on 3/31 - 4/3 ..

running a stock 21 p1k5 - i am curious about how "kid" friendly the trails are or can be. (obviously mother nature is the boss) Will be riding with a 16 month old. Just wondering if anyone has ridden with kids that young at RRB before? It appears that the trails have varying degrees of difficulty. Are you still able to access some of the cool POI's if you take the "easier" trails?

more or less, just curious if this would be an enjoyable trip with a child this young, or will trails beat him to death? I am hoping that this trip will be doable, and enjoyable, if not then I will probably need to bring my mother in law to act as a babysitter and i aint tryin to do that.
*obviously a lot is determined by how hard you are trying to run.

Any recommendations on a helmet for the 16 month old? I have invested in a set of "helmet hands" to help hold his head steady.

Also with a stock machine- is there anything you would recommend? Would a stock machine be able to cover most of the terrain?
I am taking a plug kit, air comp, extra rim/tire, general tools, winch, tow/jerk straps, spare fuses etc..
i see many people talking about "needing" lift kits, aftermarket A-arms and bigger tires.. Not looking to drop a bunch of xtra money on that stuff at this time. Live and ride in Michigan currently and really dont NEED any of that stuff up here.

Lastly if anyone will be in there area that weekend, let me know. Would like to ride with some locals or experienced people on similar machines. A few of the people im riding with are on Rzr's and they are the type to spend all damn day trying to winch themselves up or down a hill/mtn. I find more enjoyment in actually riding and putting on miles, rather than standing around watching people destroy their machines, having to winch themselves up and down, then fixing the machines.

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
I have been to RRB with a stock machine many times.
For the trails you want to be ridding stock is fine, although you might want to consider weather protection.
Roof, windshield and maybe a soft rear panel.
There will be a crowd of people showing up tell you you need to drop at least the new purchase price of the P1K on accessories.
Ignore them.

There are places you can get to on trails my Honda Pilot can do (except for the water crossing by the eternal flame).
The trick is knowing where and what trails to take.
Maybe some of the locals will have some input.

In the mean time have a look at this:

Ohio4x4

Ohio4x4

I brought the dishwasher
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3

running a stock 21 p1k5 - i am curious about how "kid" friendly the trails are or can be. (obviously mother nature is the boss) Will be riding with a 16 month old. Just wondering if anyone has ridden with kids that young at RRB before? It appears that the trails have varying degrees of difficulty. Are you still able to access some of the cool POI's if you take the "easier" trails?

more or less, just curious if this would be an enjoyable trip with a child this young, or will trails beat him to death? I am hoping that this trip will be doable, and enjoyable, if not then I will probably need to bring my mother in law to act as a babysitter and i aint tryin to do that.

Any recommendations on a helmet for the 16 month old? I have invested in a set of "helmet hands" to help hold his head steady.

Also with a stock machine- is there anything you would recommend? Would a stock machine be able to cover most of the terrain?
I am taking a plug kit, air comp, extra rim/tire, general tools, winch, tow/jerk straps, spare fuses etc..
i see many people talking about "needing" lift kits, aftermarket A-arms and bigger tires.. Not looking to drop a bunch of xtra money on that stuff at this time. Live and ride in Michigan currently and really dont NEED any of that stuff up here.

Lastly if anyone will be in there area that weekend, let me know. Would like to ride with some locals or experienced people on similar machines. A few of the people im riding with are on Rzr's and they are the type to spend all damn day trying to winch themselves up or down a hill/mtn. I find more enjoyment in actually riding and putting on miles, rather than standing around watching people destroy their machines, having to winch themselves up and down, then fixing the machines.
A skid plate is good insurance to protect the machine from unnecessary damage on trail obstacles. Aside from that have fun and be careful. The most important thing is using that thing between your ears.

DrShotgun

DrShotgun

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 20, 2020
Southern Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I agree a good skid plate is most important then any creature comforts like roof, windshield, etc. I’ve been there on stock tires once and 28” tires a few times. You can go most places if you are smart about how you drive.

Ohio4x4

Ohio4x4

I brought the dishwasher
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3

I'll see if I can get the mrs on board for a weekend trip.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Proper air pressure to avoid pinch flats. Better have a winch, I wouldn't recommend riding alone ever in Tennessee, especially with the baby. My boys were similar in age and had no problems.

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
I didn't see any mention of car seat, but at that age I'd highly recommend one. My little girl has been quite a few times now (she's 4) and her first trip was at about the same age as your son. This is the car seat I bought for the parks around here (mud/flat ground):

That seat wasn't as comfortable and the armrests stuck out really far and would hit my elbow. Switched to the same seat we use in our vehicles after the first trip with that one. It was in my wife's Forester when it got totaled and insurance replaced it with a brand new one, so it got put into permanent SXS duty. Ratchet strap the seat in and anchor the top over the center bar:

Here's a Fox youth X-Small helmet on her at just over 3 years old. It's still too big for her to wear comfortably in the car seat. It does fit her well enough now that she wears it when she's in her go-kart or in a booster seat versus a car seat:

Hope it helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

I'm local and guide tourists who rent SXS from a local business. Hit me up the week before you are coming and if I'm not booked for guiding rentals will be happy to show you around family friendly trails a showroom stock machine handles easily. It's typically the rainy season at that time definitely recommend at least a roof, SuperATV flip up windshield, and a winch would be nice but not mandatory unless you screw up.

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I didn't see any mention of car seat, but at that age I'd highly recommend one. My little girl has been quite a few times now (she's 4) and her first trip was at about the same age as your son. This is the car seat I bought for the parks around here (mud/flat ground):

View attachment 315437

View attachment 315438

That seat wasn't as comfortable and the armrests stuck out really far and would hit my elbow. Switched to the same seat we use in our vehicles after the first trip with that one. It was in my wife's Forester when it got totaled and insurance replaced it with a brand new one, so it got put into permanent SXS duty. Ratchet strap the seat in and anchor the top over the center bar:

View attachment 315450

View attachment 315451

View attachment 315452

View attachment 315453

View attachment 315454

View attachment 315455

Here's a Fox youth X-Small helmet on her at just over 3 years old. It's still too big for her to wear comfortably in the car seat. It does fit her well enough now that she wears it when she's in her go-kart or in a booster seat versus a car seat:

View attachment 315447

Hope it helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Thanks for this info. I was just about to start researching about seats and helmets. Me and Mrs Waggin Tail's first child will be here first week of March. So your daughter didn't wear a helmet as long as she was strapped in the car seat?

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Thanks for this info. I was just about to start researching about seats and helmets. Me and Mrs Waggin Tail's first child will be here first week of March. So your daughter didn't wear a helmet as long as she was strapped in the car seat?
She did if we were going on a longer ride or hitting the blacktop at all. It was too big and uncomfortable if we were bouncing around on the trail. Now that she's big enough for a booster seat I am putting a third harness in the middle for her and she'll wear the helmet anytime we ride. I am trying to do better about wearing mine too since I'm making her wear hers.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
She did if we were going on a longer ride or hitting the blacktop at all. It was too big and uncomfortable if we were bouncing around on the trail. Now that she's big enough for a booster seat I am putting a third harness in the middle for her and she'll wear the helmet anytime we ride. I am trying to do better about wearing mine too since I'm making her wear hers.
Yep used a booster /car seat , only time I make them wear a helmet is on black top. Their necks can't handle the jarring with a helmet. We would also let them use a bike helmet. Not exactly legal but have passed cops before and nothing more than a wave.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

Regarding children that young, I would use the lightest bicycle helmet you can find vs a regular heavy helmet. Also a car seat will keep the little one put and comfortable. Law says anyone under 18 must have DOT approved helmet, they don't look that close as long as children are wearing something for protection.

With my grandson 6 years ago.
Fb78e50439708c5dca1adf658750f720
902a206a1c0ef23723f220cba8228c29

B

Bk232

Mar 11, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
thank you all for the reply's.

forgot to mention, the buggy does have skid plate, full windshield, rear screen. Also bringing some supplies to make red-neck windows if the cold or rain is too much.

yes i do plan on having both boys in a car seat for the little one and a booster for the older one.

i wasnt really sure how strict they would be on a DOT approved helmet for the 1 year old. As I also dont want a heavy ass helmet straining his neck.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!