P500 Need advice on new tires, 14 inch rims

A

AJBest

Dec 20, 2019
NC
Ownership

1. 500
Hi folks, this is my first post as I am a new Honda Pioneer owner, bought a 2017 P5 used. It came with 14x7 inch STI HD3 alloy rims and 30x8x14 InterForce tires. Needless to say there is rubbing on the front tires and overall it is a pretty rough ride. I like the clearance but do not want the front tires to rub. I would like smoother ride so maybe a radial tire and want all tires to be the same if possible so I can rotate. My plan is to keep the rims but put on new tires. Anyone have any advice? I'm at a bit of a loss . Thanks in advance. AJBest

70Bones

70Bones

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2017
New Brunswick Canada
Oh man, you are opening up a can of worms!!! :) I'll give my opinion, as I'm sure others will... 27" tires won't rub, and radials do make a difference. As for tread design, that depends on your riding terrain. And what pressure are you running in those STI's? A lot of us run 6 - 8 psi to smooth the ride out, and removing the sway bar from the rear helps smooth things out also.
I have a 2017 also, with 26" radial tires. When they wear out I think I'll go to 27s.
Enjoy that buggy, and thanks for joining our "club". It's a great place to learn practically everything you might want to know about these Pioneers, and to leave your knowledge for the rest of us also.

A

AJBest

Dec 20, 2019
NC
Ownership

1. 500
Oh man, you are opening up a can of worms!!! :) I'll give my opinion, as I'm sure others will... 27" tires won't rub, and radials do make a difference. As for tread design, that depends on your riding terrain. And what pressure are you running in those STI's? A lot of us run 6 - 8 psi to smooth the ride out, and removing the sway bar from the rear helps smooth things out also.
I have a 2017 also, with 26" radial tires. When they wear out I think I'll go to 27s.
Enjoy that buggy, and thanks for joining our "club". It's a great place to learn practically everything you might want to know about these Pioneers, and to leave your knowledge for the rest of us also.
Right now with the InterForce tires I am running at 10 psi but have not done much riding yet. Very new into this and see how it can get fun and addicting. I can probably run these tires lower psi but think my best route is to replace them. I am using the p5 mostly for hunting, the terrain is eastern NC so swampy, sandy, muddy. I was looking at the EFX motoclaw but not sure if it will fit the STI HD3 rim. I want a tire that is pretty bomber and works all around.

nctrailboss

nctrailboss

Supporting Member
Jun 30, 2018
north carolina
Ownership

1. 500
OK,here's another opinion...I think with 14" rims vs 12",you will get a slightly rougher ride because of less sidewall in the tire.Just me,but I would drop down to 26" to regain some lost power.Depending on if you are going mudding or trail,tread design will come into play.A great all around tire is the Big Horn 2.0 or one of the knock-offs of that tire.26 x 9 works good all the way around on 7 inch rims.Below is pic of mine on 26 x 9 Big Horn 2.0's What part of NC are you in?Welcome to the group!
DSC01280

Reactions: Eltobgi and 70Bones
A

AJBest

Dec 20, 2019
NC
Ownership

1. 500
OK,here's another opinion...I think with 14" rims vs 12",you will get a slightly rougher ride because of less sidewall in the tire.Just me,but I would drop down to 26" to regain some lost power.Depending on if you are going mudding or trail,tread design will come into play.A great all around tire is the Big Horn 2.0 or one of the knock-offs of that tire.26 x 9 works good all the way around on 7 inch rims.Below is pic of mine on 26 x 9 Big Horn 2.0's What part of NC are you in?Welcome to the group!View attachment 171672

I guess I could get new 12" rims + tires if it would be much better but would rather not spend the coin. Not opposed to the idea to have back up wheels. Looks like the Big Horn 2.0 are available here: https://www.amazon.com/Maxxis-26x9x14-6-ply-Radial-Front/dp/B0022XS0F0?tag=sxsweb24-20 . These looks really nice - thanks for the suggestion. I am right outside of Wilmington, NC but hunting club is in Halifax County.

nctrailboss

nctrailboss

Supporting Member
Jun 30, 2018
north carolina
Ownership

1. 500
I guess I could get new 12" rims + tires if it would be much better but would rather not spend the coin. Not opposed to the idea to have back up wheels. Looks like the Big Horn 2.0 are available here: https://www.amazon.com/Maxxis-26x9x14-6-ply-Radial-Front/dp/B0022XS0F0?tag=sxsweb24-20 . These looks really nice - thanks for the suggestion. I am right outside of Wilmington, NC but hunting club is in Halifax County.
These seem to be a great alternative as well.I think you will be much happier dropping down to 26".The gearing will be better,and steering should be lighter.I'm west of you near Laurinburg.Have to get you this way for a ride over at OutBack.It's in my back yard.Some great P-5 trails there.
Artrax CTX Radial Tire | MotoSport

A

AJBest

Dec 20, 2019
NC
Ownership

1. 500
These seem to be a great alternative as well.I think you will be much happier dropping down to 26".The gearing will be better,and steering should be lighter.I'm west of you near Laurinburg.Have to get you this way for a ride over at OutBack.It's in my back yard.Some great P-5 trails there.
Artrax CTX Radial Tire | MotoSport

Those look good but seems like the big horn 2.0 are very well known and well liked overall. I will go with these unless there are better options. Looking forward to using the p500 more!

nctrailboss

nctrailboss

Supporting Member
Jun 30, 2018
north carolina
Ownership

1. 500
Here in the east Big Horns are hard to beat for a do-it-all tire.I run them about 7psi,great ride and they flex well.

Reactions: Russ989 and trigger
nctrailboss

nctrailboss

Supporting Member
Jun 30, 2018
north carolina
Ownership

1. 500
Picked up the bighorn 2.0's (4x 26×9×14). I hope they get here before the weekend so I can use them for the last hunting trip of the deer season.
Gonna make you a great set=up!

Wabsa

Wabsa

Dec 17, 2019
Maine
Ownership

1. 500
Im new here, so go easy on me if this is a dumb question:) My new ride still has the stock miniature wheels and tires, so this thread is of interest to me :)

I don't see the point in buying fancy wheels, just plan to stick with 12" steel as they are likely to take a beating and can be hammered back in to shape if necessary, but I do wonder about the pros / cons of the Bighorns vs. the knock offs. Any money saved would go towards more new additions (bumpers etc.), but is it truly a saving, or do you replace the knock offs twice as often?

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Im new here, so go easy on me if this is a dumb question:) My new ride still has the stock miniature wheels and tires, so this thread is of interest to me :)

I don't see the point in buying fancy wheels, just plan to stick with 12" steel as they are likely to take a beating and can be hammered back in to shape if necessary, but I do wonder about the pros / cons of the Bighorns vs. the knock offs. Any money saved would go towards more new additions (bumpers etc.), but is it truly a saving, or do you replace the knock offs twice as often?

Welcome to the club. I said the same thing about the wheels when I got mine, it's an ugly machine to begin with and fancy wheels would just be perfume on a pig, lol! With bigger tires you'll want to widen the stance a little though, which can be achieved with spacers or different offset wheels. Mine eventually progressed into aftermarket wheels and spacers.
As for the BH's, been running 2.0's for 4 yrs and have never had a tire problem. Can't speak to the knockoffs other than a lot of them have tried to copy the tread pattern, must be a reason. If you do buy the authentic ones, better like those tires because you're going to have them a while, they wear forever.

nctrailboss

nctrailboss

Supporting Member
Jun 30, 2018
north carolina
Ownership

1. 500
Welcome to the club. I said the same thing about the wheels when I got mine, it's an ugly machine to begin with and fancy wheels would just be perfume on a pig, lol! With bigger tires you'll want to widen the stance a little though, which can be achieved with spacers or different offset wheels. Mine eventually progressed into aftermarket wheels and spacers.
As for the BH's, been running 2.0's for 4 yrs and have never had a tire problem. Can't speak to the knockoffs other than a lot of them have tried to copy the tread pattern, must be a reason. If you do buy the authentic ones, better like those tires because you're going to have them a while, they wear forever.
100% agree with ya on the tire and wheel thing,BUT,my machine is purtty,from the front,back,and side..LoL Does yours know you think it's ugly???

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here in the east Big Horns are hard to beat for a do-it-all tire.I run them about 7psi,great ride and they flex well.
I agree, they surprised me on my 1000. If they made them in an 8 ply I’d buy them to replace the stock ones.

Reactions: nctrailboss
RSMark5

RSMark5

May 10, 2019
NC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
What you gonna do with the interforces?

I live in eastern NC too... Have some 14"s laying around. Just sayin'.

C

CWL23

Mar 31, 2019
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
Hi folks, this is my first post as I am a new Honda Pioneer owner, bought a 2017 P5 used. It came with 14x7 inch STI HD3 alloy rims and 30x8x14 InterForce tires. Needless to say there is rubbing on the front tires and overall it is a pretty rough ride. I like the clearance but do not want the front tires to rub. I would like smoother ride so maybe a radial tire and want all tires to be the same if possible so I can rotate. My plan is to keep the rims but put on new tires. Anyone have any advice? I'm at a bit of a loss . Thanks in advance. AJBest
U probably wanna run no bigger than 27s. I've been looking at Mudlites or zillas for my p700. I'd for sure get them big tires off. Not good for the p5.at all.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!