P1000 Need help getting old upper A Arm ball joint loose

S

Scamih

Jul 9, 2020
Marshall Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’m putting new super atv an arms on. The upper arm ball joint is stuck on the knuckle. Any advice, trying to avoid using heat. Any tricks? I’m letting it soak with wd40 over night.

Reactions: Smitty335
S

Scamih

Jul 9, 2020
Marshall Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’m not reusing, I have new ones. I having a hard time getting the old one loose from knuckle. Looks like I need to go to parts store in morning and get ball joint seperarator. I just watched a video where a guy used one and it was a piece of cake.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
If they are stuck in the knuckle, just get a small sledge or heavy hammer and hit the meat of the knuckle on the sides. Don't try to hit or pound the ball joint itself. Don't try to pry it out. A few solid raps with a heavy hammer should bust it free!

There are some YouTube videos showing this method out there. Here is one:

Yes, a separator tool can most certainly get the job done, but try this method before spending money on one.

For R&R of the ball joints in/out of a-arms, there are various ball joint press removal and installation tool sets on Amazon and HF, but make sure the one you get has the correct sized adapter - the P1K ball joints are smaller and most of the kits with only a few adapters don't have an adapter small enough.

Double check the size before ordering or buying, but here is an example that likely has the correct size:

Orion Motor Tech Master Ball Joint Press Kit & U-Joint Puller Service Tool Set 21PCS - Upper and Lower Ball Joint Removal Tool Kit for Ball Joint Service with C-Press

Last edited:
S

Scamih

Jul 9, 2020
Marshall Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If they are stuck in the knuckle, just get a small sledge and hit the meat of the knuckle on the sides. Don't try to hit or pound the ball joint itself. A few solid raps with a heavy hammer should bust it free! There are some YouTube videos showing this method out there.

Yes, a separator tool can most certainly get the job done, but try this before spending money on one.

For R&R of the ball joints in/out of a-arms, there are various ball joint press removal and installation tool sets on Amazon and HF, but make sure the one you get has the correct sized adapter - the P1K ball joints are smaller and most of the kits with only a few adapters don't have an adapter small enough.

Double check the size before ordering or buying, but here is an example that likely has the correct size:

Orion Motor Tech Master Ball Joint Press Kit & U-Joint Puller Service Tool Set 21PCS - Upper and Lower Ball Joint Removal Tool Kit for Ball Joint Service with C-Press

Thank you. Ive hit it a few times maybe I didn’t hit it hard enough. I’ll try it again.

Reactions: Smitty335 and Scoop
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Thank you. Ive hit it a few times maybe I didn’t hit it hard enough. I’ll try it again.
I'd bet money you can break it free. You're not going to damage the knuckle, so put some more umph into it! And use a decent sized hammer or sledge - no light girly hammers (no offense to the ladies).

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
I edited my first post to include a link to a YouTube video on this method.

S

Scamih

Jul 9, 2020
Marshall Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I beat on it with a sledge. 5 pounder, worried I would break it. Bought a ball joint separator and it popped right off. One side done.

Reactions: Smitty335 and Scoop
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Lol. You're not gonna break it, but ... glad you got a solution!

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I always put a pry bar under them, apply pressure, then rap the knuckle with a hammer a few times. They usually pop pretty easily this way.

H

HondaTech

We use one of these as an alternative to the Honda one.

Be sure to use a different nut.
71GNpmxdXL

EMAW

EMAW

Mama Tried!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 3, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
A pneumatic rivet gun with a flat brass set works like magic to get the joint loose!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!