P1000 need help securing roof rack

S

scafe007

Sep 6, 2023
Austin TX
Ownership

1. 1000 6 Crew
Hi,

I bought ranch armor roof. It is awesome but the loops they sent to install are the worse and 3 of the 6 already broke. I had to use tie downs and zip ties to secure on my trip. They said they would send new ones but I don't trust them and it squeaks.

Anyone know what would work well i.e. 2 inch mounts They recommend that can hold weight i.e. the roof weighs bout 200 pounds and there are 6 points. Or if you had a better idea please share.

Pics show you have enough room to put a bolt through the hole and then attach using bolt and nut.

Thanks!

IMG 0303 IMG 0302 IMG 0300 IMG 0299 IMG 0297

Reactions: JenElio
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I went to Amazon and searched roll bar clamps. But they have more offset and you might have to drill new hole locations in the roof channel. Disappointed that they'd think Adel clamps would secure a 200 pound roof. 👎

Reactions: NTCPrezJB
bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
While @CID 's suggestion would work, I'd wait until I heard back from Ranch Armor. The straps they used look to be totally inadequate for the task at hand, the strap metal is thin and their use of a round washer on the underside of the strap would allow the outer edges to flex more and cause fatigue and tearing of the strap (as shown) - - better would be a squared edge across the underside of the strap *and* thicker material. What they provided might work well on smooth roads but not banging around the back country.

Reactions: tnoutdoors and CID
DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Hi,

I bought ranch armor roof. It is awesome but the loops they sent to install are the worse and 3 of the 6 already broke. I had to use tie downs and zip ties to secure on my trip. They said they would send new ones but I don't trust them and it squeaks.

Anyone know what would work well i.e. 2 inch mounts They recommend that can hold weight i.e. the roof weighs bout 200 pounds and there are 6 points. Or if you had a better idea please share.

Pics show you have enough room to put a bolt through the hole and then attach using bolt and nut.

Thanks!

View attachment 410160 View attachment 410161 View attachment 410162 View attachment 410163 View attachment 410164
hard to tell if those roof rails were flat to the cage, some electrical connection was made to the clamp, etc. - those clamps need to be tight and both ends flat to work - anyway - id get some 1/4" all thread, muffler clamps, saddle clamps, etc. drill a couple of extra holes and move on - my hunch is their input will be - never heard of that - its a first.

Hawk53

Hawk53

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2014
Alberta Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I am off the topic a little, but I wonder why you went with a roof with that much weight? I was just wondering what the advantage would be. More on topic. If you would use a 1/6" or 3/32 steel flat bar and duplicate the style of clamp they have may work alright.

Last edited:
Reactions: CID
NewHere2

NewHere2

Village Idiot In Training
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2020
High Plains of SD
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. 1000-5
Curious, have you heard back from RA ?

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks. I’m waiting and will let you know.

Are you going to let us know before Christmas?? 🤔

In any case, hope you got good news, but they may leave you engineering the fix yourself.

Perhaps you can find a better clamp, just one example. (Though on this one, the "boss" where the nut screws onto the T-bolt might have to be shortened). Point being, there's all manner of clamps and fittings that might do the job better than what they used.

71lGhcswc6L AC SL1500

Reactions: CID

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!