P1000 Need some help

Bighat

Bighat

Nov 25, 2021
Gallipolis Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Just makes me scratch head. I’ve had Honda’s throughout my life since I was a kid and they have always been reliable! That’s why decided to purchase the Pioneer. It figures the most expensive, and advanced Honda off-road machine I have purchased turns out to be problem.
Everything's got to high tech. Electronics are always a pain to find the problem and fix. Tech's need better electrical diagnotic training. And if these ECU's go bad, why doesn't Honda have a device that can be a substitued to test them?

mlynch001

mlynch001

Oct 7, 2020
Dardanelle, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've not had to bring my buggy in to a stealership since it left the lot on day 1 🤞. From what I've read on here about lots of people dealing with service departments, seems that's the way Honda does things.......S L O W...... Most times before doing anything tech has to ask permission from HONDA to move forward that back n forth crap takes forever. Only changing/trying one fix at a time is BS to me. And you're right, for as much as these things cost now-a-days, they should be on top of service dept to get them out the door in a timely manner
I was a HONDA master tech specializing in electrical and drivability diagnosis and fuel systems, a service manager and dealer for the better part of 25 years. Going back and forth with HONDA on anything Was almost unheard of. We fixed the issue 99.9% of the time and then filed the warranty claim. We NEVER used parts from another customers machine to diagnose problems, we would order new parts and work with those for testing. 5 weeks is ridiculous and the excuse of “asking HONDA for permission to repair“ is a smoke screen. I filed THOUSANDS of warranty claims in my career, it is simply a matter of the service manager knowing how to work the system. Bottom line is many of the so called “techs” that dealers hire have little or no electrical diagnostic training, this was a problem back in my day and has gotten worse as more and more electronics are used.

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I was a HONDA master tech specializing in electrical and drivability diagnosis and fuel systems, a service manager and dealer for the better part of 25 years. Going back and forth with HONDA on anything Was almost unheard of. We fixed the issue 99.9% of the time and then filed the warranty claim. We NEVER used parts from another customers machine to diagnose problems, we would order new parts and work with those for testing. 5 weeks is ridiculous and the excuse of “asking HONDA for permission to repair“ is a smoke screen. I filed THOUSANDS of warranty claims in my career, it is simply a matter of the service manager knowing how to work the system. Bottom line is many of the so called “techs” that dealers hire have little or no electrical diagnostic training, this was a problem back in my day and has gotten worse as more and more electronics are used.
I agree 100%

Like I said, my buggy hasn't been back to a dealer since I took possession and 🙏 it won't have to. I even got the extended warranty (cheap as dirt when I got it) and think twice about using it if something ever happens that I can't take care of in my garage. Now a days seems like most "techs" are just a bunch of.......... "I took a 3 month course and now I'm a certified parts changer"..... 🤦‍♂️

H

Hogback

Nov 6, 2022
Maryland
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just the current weekly update. Yesterday marked the end of the 6th week the dealership has had my machine. No word from them the entire week, so I called them yesterday. This is what the informed me. The new ECU was received and put in my machine and the problem was still present. They explained that the exact part # for the ECU was ordered, and they didn’t understand it because the one the used from another machine fixed the problem. While on the phone I was told they were currently on hold waiting for someone from Honda to pick up. They also informed me that they have sent countless emails to Honda and are just awaiting a response. That concluded the conversation. I decided to call the salesman who sold me the machine, due to him giving me some advice regarding parts of they would void my warranty. I explained the situation to him and he said he would get back in contact with me. A few minutes later he called and confirmed everything the service manager told me, however; explained that they are requesting an area Honda Service Rep to come and evaluate the problem!!! Hallelujah, I informed him that I requested that week 2 when they told me they had no idea of what was wrong. He advised that getting that done is and act of God. Nonetheless, one has been requested. Sorry for the long drawn out update.

H

Hogback

Nov 6, 2022
Maryland
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just the current weekly update. Yesterday marked the end of the 6th week the dealership has had my machine. No word from them the entire week, so I called them yesterday. This is what the informed me. The new ECU was received and put in my machine and the problem was still present. They explained that the exact part # for the ECU was ordered, and they didn’t understand it because the one the used from another machine fixed the problem. While on the phone I was told they were currently on hold waiting for someone from Honda to pick up. They also informed me that they have sent countless emails to Honda and are just awaiting a response. That concluded the conversation. I decided to call the salesman who sold me the machine, due to him giving me some advice regarding parts of they would void my warranty. I explained the situation to him and he said he would get back in contact with me. A few minutes later he called and confirmed everything the service manager told me, however; explained that they are requesting an area Honda Service Rep to come and evaluate the problem!!! Hallelujah, I informed him that I requested that week 2 when they told me they had no idea of what was wrong. He advised that getting that done is and act of God. Nonetheless, one has been requested. Sorry for the long drawn out update.

H

Hogback

Nov 6, 2022
Maryland
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Week 7 update. I still don’t have my machine. Spoke to the dealership more times this week than I have since this nightmare unfolded. Friday they advised that they have the machine fixed. They advised that Honda recommended them checking the dual clutch plates on the transmission. Apparently they can become out of sync and they suggested they re-calibrate them. The dealership did and they said all issues seem to be fixed. When the plates are out of sync it can make a multitude of other issues that align with the issues I was having. The conversation ended with them saying they would call me, the beginning of next week (week 8) to schedule delivery. The next day I receive another phone call from the service manager saying my machine was out for delivery and for me to call them. When I called back she said my machine was out for delivery but the senior service tech is not satisfied that it’s completely fixed. She further advised that she was going to deliver the machine, then when an area Honda rep was coming to dealership they were going to come get the machine for him to look at. I told her I was never told they were delivering today, and why deliver a machine that they were not completely satisfied as being fixed. She agreed, apologized and stated, “ I am sorry, we are completely at a loss, we do not know what’s wrong with your machine. We tried everything”.

H

Hogback

Nov 6, 2022
Maryland
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a 2020 Pioneer 1000-5. The machine has 230 miles on it and is super clean. A month ago I started having the following issues: hard to start, idles rough, won’t shift gears, cannot select different drive modes, 4 wheel drive won’t engage. I contacted the dealership I purchased machine from and they came and got it and currently have had it for 5 weeks. They stated that they have been in constant contact with Honda over this issue because they have never had a Pioneer with this issue come into them. They stated they have seen this on Yamaha’s and Kawasaki’s. The last phone call from them advised that they believe it’s a connection issue with the dash but they are waiting for approval from Honda. Just checking to see if anyone has had any similar problems with their machine. These problems occurred out of the blue.
My apologies for not posting sooner, but after 12 weeks of trying to figure out the problems, Honda suggested replacing all 4 wheel sensors. The dealership did, and the problems are gone 🤷‍♂️.

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
What came first, the welds that look like they were done by a blind welder, or the blind welder?
I just went to SC and took a picture of the welder.

FJgmXmkJyXrbEwgCwfjcaa 1920 80

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!